Another Walmart Rant

So I went to Walmart to get a few things and I also had 2- $1 off of a 32 oz Powerade and 1- $0.75 off of a 32 oz Powerade. So the cashier rings up my purchase and scans the coupons and then she voids it off. So I ask why she voided it and she tells me that since the Powerade was only $0.60, she could only give me $0.60 off. I tell her the coupon doesn't say 'up to $1 off' it says $1 off and scans $1 off. So she calls a CSM who backs her up. So they overrided my 3 coupons to only give me $0.60 off of each one. I would have just taken them back and told them to keep the Powerade but she had WROTE all over them already! I could understand if the coupon said 'free up to $1' or something to that effect, but it didn't anywhere! Now Walmart will turn that coupon in and get the full $1 credit for it I'm sure! :mad: Edited by guilliam

I have read where LOTS of people on gottadeal use coupons like that and the remainder goes towards the rest of their purchases.One of the members was even on a news show telling how to do this I believe. Also, how is it right cause Walmart will get the full $1 back because that's the amount the coupon was for, they didn't 'fill in ' a price. So Walmart will make the extra $0.40.

Overages are a YMMV. My Walmarts are wonderful about it, my Targets suck. Target used to be better until they got a new upgrade. You should never plan on getting overages, but be ecstatic when you do.

I don't understand why they would write on them. Typically they don't, and that does make me angry. Someone is coming out ahead, whether it is the store or me. Some coupons have a box to write the price in. By writing on the coupon, the cashier or manager was trying to alert the manufacturer that the coupon was used for less than the specified amount.

I am sorry you are upset with it, but there are so many worse coupon stories that could beat actually getting your product for free... I have been told at Target that they cannot adjust down (which they can), told that the product has to be the flavor/color listed. That the product must be more than $2 over the value of the coupon. The best one recently was the manager that told me they don't accept 'square' coupons, only rectangular ones. I only had one, I asked her to take it off between fits of laughter and walked out.

don't let this discourage you. If it does, you will never make it through an hour long re-ring!

You said she wrote all over them, did she write ".60 cents" all over them?

That's definitely something that depends on the store and the cashier, not something you should expect. Most stores here adjust a coupon down to the price of the item and they rarely take off the full amount when that happens.

You said she wrote all over them, did she write ".60 cents" all over them?

That's definitely something that depends on the store and the cashier, not something you should expect. Most stores here adjust a coupon down to the price of the item and they rarely take off the full amount when that happens.

Nope, she circled the date and wrote the register # on them and initialed them (which she said they are required to do). Did NOT write 60 cents on them.

And basically, what made me mad was the fact that Walmart will now get $1 back for them as they did NOT write 60 cents on them and their attitudes.And the fact that she scanned them all and they took off the $1 and then she went back and voided each one and re-entered them for 60 cents, don't even know why she decided to do that after they were already entered. Our Walmart has the RUDEST cashiers.:yuck:

So you're mad because Walmart accepted your coupon at the price of the items, making them free???? Overages are extremely YMMV, with the price of groceries today, you should be thrilled that you were able to get Powerade for FREE!

No, I'm mad because Walmart will get a $1 back for them.The coupons scanned and took off $1 and she voided them and redid them for 60 cents. :rolleyes:

I think it is easier to get by when you have more groceries. I used the same coupons but had a lot of groceries and they took off the entire dollar at our WalMart

Totally agree, if you had a bunch of groceries/stuff they usually don't notice. If you only bought that and 1 or 2 things they are more likely to notice.

Guest RealLivePrinces

No, I'm mad because Walmart will get a $1 back for them.The coupons scanned and took off $1 and she voided them and redid them for 60 cents. :rolleyes:

Be that as it may, at the end of the day, you got what you should've gotten.

I just bought OVER $150 worth of groceries from Wallyworld & bought 4 Powerades & I used 4 of the coupons and she took the full amount off for all the coupons. I would have been OK if I had just gotten all 4 of them for free though.

I am happy because I used almost $22 worth of coupons there!

I used to work retail several years ago and unless something has changed, Walmart will not be making 40 cents off the coupons...

NOW.. they MIGHT make 40 cents off the powerade coupon but then another coupon will have to be thrown out as their coupon total sent in has to match the coupon total reports from the registers and with everything so electronic these days there is not a lot of ways to skew that report.

I have seen a lot of coupons that say so much off and the fine print says not to exceed the price of the item. So they are doing it correctly to override it.

And to top it off if too many coupons were used at 1.00 off of powerade and they can't show that many sales in the same powerades they can't redeem any of the coupons and could lose the right to coupons so it could be that someone in the business office caught it and told the cashiers to watch.

The circling/initialing was done when I worked a temp job at walmart a few years ago as it makes the cashier responsible to not take expireds ... :)

And thanks for the reminder that I have a powerade coupon I need to use to get my boys a free powerade too :)

• 3 weeks later...
I had a similar thing happen to me at walmart, I had Iams coupons for $6.00 off a bag any size, so I found some smaller bags that where $3.00 so I could get them for free, the only gave me the $3.00 off which I was ok with, would have liked to have made $3.00 a bag, but free pet food was good enough for me. On the other hand Kroger always gives me face value of the coupons, last month they "paid" me to buy peanutbutter, just depends.