Target Rant

I just shpped @ the Target in East Hanover, NJ. Spent an hour shopping for stuff for when we go away for the 4th - perishables as well as snacks, lotions & stuff - I filled the conveyor belt. I get to the checkout and the kids goggles ring for $15/ea - they were on the pegs for $7.89. I call it to the cashier's attention & she said "that's the price!" and continues to ring my order. I tell her no, it's not the price & can we call someone. Hesitatingly she calls the 1st idiot standing next to her - not even sure if he was a Manager. I explain the situation & all he says w/an attitude "the price is what rings at the register".................

I say "Thanks for your help!" and walk out, leaving what I just shopped an hour for behind. As I type this I realize Target's unwillingless to help me just saved me about $150 today.

LOL way to go!! I think its great that you left everything behind for them to deal with!! I am suprised that they didnt want to help you more. I have had a couple cashiers like that at my target and I always look at the check out before I go to make sure I dont get them. If I were you I would have made more of a stink. AND DEMANDED A MANAGER. I would have walked back to the aisle and pointed it out to them!! You were too nice, lol.

As a consumer, I have learned how to read tags. Makes life much easier.

Unfortunately things not only get tight in our own homes but businesses have to cut costs too. This means that employees don't have time to do things properly and just throw things out on the sales floor. Other employees no longer have the time to double check.

Not to mention customers who decide they don't want to purchase items and then just put things back wherever they may be.

I think almost every store has employees that just do not care. I have had similar results at Walmart and local grocery stores. I have also had them at Target. So what do I do? Not shop at all?

Employees are caring less and less cuz employers are requiring more and more in less and less time.

As a consumer, I have learned how to read tags. Makes life much easier.

Unfortunately things not only get tight in our own homes but businesses have to cut costs too. This means that employees don't have time to do things properly and just throw things out on the sales floor. Other employees no longer have the time to double check.

Not to mention customers who decide they don't want to purchase items and then just put things back wherever they may be.

I think almost every store has employees that just do not care. I have had similar results at Walmart and local grocery stores. I have also had them at Target. So what do I do? Not shop at all?

Employees are caring less and less cuz employers are requiring more and more in less and less time.

That's NO excuse to be rude. I would have (and have done before!) the same thing OP did. That employee is there to WORK and the customer is his or her boss. I did retail for a LONG time, so no I don't believe that the customer is always right, however, I do believe that the customer is entitled to a little respect. Calling someone over the radio that's in that department would have taken a lot less time than it would have to reshop a basketful of merchandise. I would take it one step further and contact the DSM.

I would also be calling the DSM. We don't have a local Target so I don't shop there much, but I had a really good experience with an employee going above and beyond to help us find a Wii last year, and I called the DSM to let them know what a good employee he was. So I would definitely let them know too if I was treated poorly by an employee or 2!

That's NO excuse to be rude. I would have (and have done before!) the same thing OP did. That employee is there to WORK and the customer is his or her boss. I did retail for a LONG time, so no I don't believe that the customer is always right, however, I do believe that the customer is entitled to a little respect. Calling someone over the radio that's in that department would have taken a lot less time than it would have to reshop a basketful of merchandise. I would take it one step further and contact the DSM.

Sometimes I like to play devil's advocate...so... ;)

What did the OP write in the above post that was rude?

The cashier rang up the item and it rang up more than what the OP thought it would. The cashier did ask someone when asked.

Either it was on the wrong peg or slot or it had the wrong sign above it. Regardless, the OP made their statement by leaving the basket of goods behind.

I never understand why people don't insist upon THE manager right then and there rather than wasting more time on another day calling more people.

I think we all have crappy service, which was the point of my post. I think you have to do what you think is best for you as a person. I recently stopped shopping at Walmart because of crappy attitudes. The OP left Target without purchasing a thing. The OP made a statement and sometimes it helps, sometimes it does nothing.

I know how to read retail tags. However, If I am there to shop, I am not there to work. I will look at the tag, and unless I am exceptionally dubious, I will not match UPCs, so much as description. If your clerk slapped 40 of the wrong item in this slot, I will pay what it is marked as. If someone put one down there, I will not... I understand the difference.

I would have done what you did Jerseygirl. Only, I'd have stopped at the CS desk on my way out.

Scrabb, your right, businesses are under constraints... but what would have taken 5 min, even at $10/hr instead lost them $150 sale. Their economic position will not get better without better care.

Sometimes I like to play devil's advocate...so... ;)

What did the OP write in the above post that was rude?

The cashier rang up the item and it rang up more than what the OP thought it would. The cashier did ask someone when asked.

Either it was on the wrong peg or slot or it had the wrong sign above it. Regardless, the OP made their statement by leaving the basket of goods behind.

I never understand why people don't insist upon THE manager right then and there rather than wasting more time on another day calling more people.

I think we all have crappy service, which was the point of my post. I think you have to do what you think is best for you as a person. I recently stopped shopping at Walmart because of crappy attitudes. The OP left Target without purchasing a thing. The OP made a statement and sometimes it helps, sometimes it does nothing.

I wasn't stating that the OP was rude, I was stating the the cashier and "manager" were rude.

Thanks for trying to wind me up Scabbler ~ not this time tho. These goggles were not misplaced by another shopper & I just happened to pull them off. I dug thru the pegs of goggles looking for certain colors. They were all the same style for $7.89.

Maybe an unhappy employee hung all the goggles by mistake but someone (a Mgr perhaps!) should have run back to check. The store could have made $150 for that 10min of running back to check for me.

AND because I've already typed this out for you guys here I also emailed it to Target Corp.

Edited by jerseygirl
adding

Thanks for trying to wind me up Scabbler ~ not this time tho. These goggles were not misplaced by another shopper & I just happened to pull them off. I dug thru the pegs of goggles looking for certain colors. They were all the same style for $7.89.

Maybe an unhappy employee hung all the goggles by mistake but someone (a Mgr perhaps!) should have run back to check. The store could have made $150 for that 10min of running back to check for me.

AND because I've already typed this out for you guys here I also emailed it to Target Corp.

I wasn't trying to wind you up but giving you a different opinion. ;)

I have and still agree that customer service sucks in so many different ways. I was just having this conversation with a friend that works in retail and what I shared was her reply when I told her about crappy service I received at Walmart. Instead of my friend, the retail worker, agreeing that Walmart service had serious issues, she replied that she sees it everywhere.

So in my reply, I was pointing out that it isn't just Target, it is everywhere. It doesn't make it right and I certainly didn't imply it was in any form.

I just think we can only make stands as individuals with whatever we feel is right. When I commented to Walmart about their crappy service, I got such a crappy reply that I was mad at myself for bothering. Instead, I just stopped shopping at Walmart. They aren't the cheapest on everything anyway.

You will have to let us know if and what Target replies. :)

I went to the grocery store yesterday and handed the cashier 6 coupons and she scanned 3 of them, I went to pay and said that I gave her more coupons than that and she said that she scanned them all and that's all it took off, so I said "I gave you 6 coupons and you're going to take 6 coupons off my order", she figured out which 3 she didn't scan and took them off my total.

I went to Kmart the other day and there are signs all over the store, tons of them that say 40% off the clearance price. I bought several things and they scanned at the clearance price and I asked about the 40% off and she replied that I got them on sale already, how much cheaper did I want them!? That's why I barely ever shop there and won't anymore!

I would call teh store manager . I can sy acustomer service gets worse and worse these day. I had to call aout some gatorade a couple of weeks ago. I had a very bad allergic reaction after drinking it. I had previously had that flavor and was fine. They yelled at me for not calling before I drank it. WTH they should label that they added new fruit to there product.

I went to the grocery store yesterday and handed the cashier 6 coupons and she scanned 3 of them, I went to pay and said that I gave her more coupons than that and she said that she scanned them all and that's all it took off, so I said "I gave you 6 coupons and you're going to take 6 coupons off my order", she figured out which 3 she didn't scan and took them off my total.

After the 3rd time of handing a stack of coupons to the cashier at Winn Dixie and after looking at my receipt at home and noticing that coupons were missing ($15 worth one time), I hand over 1 coupon at a time. The cashiers normally aren't fond of this because it takes a little more time, but this way I know that every single coupon is scanned. :D

After the 3rd time of handing a stack of coupons to the cashier at Winn Dixie and after looking at my receipt at home and noticing that coupons were missing ($15 worth one time), I hand over 1 coupon at a time. The cashiers normally aren't fond of this because it takes a little more time, but this way I know that every single coupon is scanned. :D

That was why I counted the coupons, I've thought about starting doing that. The time before that I alternated them back and forth like a "+" so they didn't get stuck together because I had a bunch.

That was why I counted the coupons, I've thought about starting doing that. The time before that I alternated them back and forth like a "+" so they didn't get stuck together because I had a bunch.

None of mine stuck together, I think it was just lazy cashiers, which that particular location has a lot of!!

It seems like theres been alot of turnover in that Target lately. I do agree the cashiers there couldn't give a hoot. I'll be doing my endcap run there tomorow ;)

I do a lot of end capping as well, but lately i've seen a lot of clearance in the isles themselves! :eek:

Here's the email response I rec'd fr:Target......

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't receive the type of service you expect at Target. We're always looking for ways to make the Target shopping experience better for every guest.

We know the importance of having well trained team members who can quickly help you. The attitude and behavior you describe aren't consistent with our guest service philosophy. Your feedback is very helpful to us and I'll be sure to make your comments available to the Store Training Lead for further review with the staff.

Thanks for sharing your comments with us. I hope we'll see you again at Target.

Sincerely,

Albert

Target Guest Relations

www.target.com

I'm sooo sick of finding things that are mismarked on the shelf and having to correct the cashier. I try to watch every item ring up now but it's hard when you're also watching kids. I think stores must count on distracted consumers that don't really care.

Today I was suppose to get a $5 catalina coupon from Walgreens. The mgr was so nice when it didn't ring up and spent 15 min trying to figure out why I wasn't getting it. One reason was the employee mismarked the tags on the shelves. That employee was sent to redo all her tags immediately. We don't know why else it wasn't giving me the right coupon. She finally took the exact item shown in the ad and scanned that in so I'd get the coupon. She gave me the coupon and voided the sale she just rang up.

On the other hand, I have been to 3 other stores within in the last 3 weeks where items ring up incorrectly. When I have corrected the cashier, all 3 have said "oh, too bad" and didn't bother calling anyone over. Then I just don't buy that certain item and leave upset.

• 2 weeks later...

Just happened to me at Steinmart. Now that store is designed to mislead you into buying the wrong price...some racks are 50% some are 40% some are 20% on top of clearance and some are just full price, so I'm always really careful about what I pick from where, etc.

I went to a rack with a 40% above it and picked out 4 things. I also picked out 1 50% and 3 full price. Well they said the 40% were brand new and were not on sale. I was in a hurry and irritated because I had been digging for an hour for the crap I found. I refused to buy those 4 but bought the rest and stomped away...as I was leaving the manager said 'I'm going to check that rack.' I should have gone back with her and demanded the 40% or at least not bought any of it like OP. That would have felt GREAT. Now I'm not even excited about what I did buy. Maybe I'll return.

Ugh.

I dont know for sure.. HOWEVER... i have used this argument before... I think its considered "fraud" if the shelf price and the ring up price are different.. Does that make sense... for example... Walmart had 4 slotted toasters... like 5 of them on the clearance isle for $5.00... and they rang up regular price when i checked out.... well the store manager was called over.. and he said.. they had to give it to me for what was on the shelf.. or it would be false advertising... even though... someone had just stocked them on the wrong shelf... so..you might try that when they are being rude and ugly about prices...

"She finally took the exact item shown in the ad and scanned that in so I'd get the coupon"

I would take that to mean that the reason you didn't get the coupon at first was because you picked up the wrong item. That happens in alot of cases and you wouldn't beleive how many people get rude and mean with the cashiers over an error that is their fault and not the stores fault.