Garmin nuvi

Tucson,AZ

How far are you from Fry's Electronics in Phoenix and Tempe?

3035 W. Thunderbird Road Phoenix, AZ 85053 (602) 445-8800

2300 West Baseline Road Tempe, AZ 85283 (602) 445-5100

My local Saturday newspaper had a Fry's Electronics "Dad and Grads" sale insert for this weekend. As I scanned the ad my eyes zeroed in on the Garmin nuvi 260 for $199 ad. If you're serious about getting a good deal on a great GPS, call Fry's see if it's on sale and go there now!

Yes it's twice the cost of my infamous Garmin nuvi 200 for $99 but it's worth it. Also my nuvi 200 for $99 was a total fluke and required a lot of work. First you'd have to convince OD to pricematch Circuit City. Next you'd have to mail in a $70 rebate hoping it doesn't get lost or rejected. Finally the 260 is leaps and bounds better than the entry level 200. In the end I returned the nuvi 200 to OD in hopes of scoring a hot deal on the better 260 or 255.

If you're holding out for another Garmin nuvi for $100 or even $129 you'll be waiting a very very long time. $149 is more realistic for an entry level Garmin nuvi or TomTom GPS.

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the Garmin nuvi 200 vs 260

Here's a list of all GPS systems on sale in Arizona, I can't post a link as it's a competitor to GottaDeal. Search Google for Sunday Circular and you'll bump into it eventually :)

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/5090/azgpsky0.jpg

You won't find a new Garmin Nuvi for $99. Even RossMAN said that was a fluke. I still see used C330 models (much older model) selling on ebay for close to $100.

If you buy one new, it should already have the latest maps installed. If for some reason it doesn't, you should get a free update. But the free update only applies to models which are not discontinued. If you buy a discontinued model, you don't get a free update.

I was looking for a Garmin deal and ended up buying from Radio Shack last week. I got the Nuvi260w for $210. It was on sale for $250 and I had a coupon for $40 off $200 or over.

A friend has the 200 and honestly, while it's a great very basic GPS, I wanted and needed street names, not "turn right in 200 feet". That wasn't very helpful in downtown Boston where there are streets every few feet. I absolutely love hearing "Turn right onto such and such street in .2 miles". It also has pedestrian and bicycle modes.

As for the updated 2009 maps........as long as you update with in 30 days of purchase, it's free. We did ours the day we got it. They also have some fun downloads you can do, games, different icons for cars(we have settled on being a driving slice of pizza).

I think Amazon is having a pretty good sale on GPS's right now.

I'm like 3 hours from Phoenix/Tempe, but a new Fry's was just built near me so maybe they have it there.

Thanks for the info!

You're welcome and please keep us updated on what happens. I'm sure there are others out there who are in the same boat as you.

If your local Fry's doesn't have it on sale, you can buy it online for $215 with free shipping :)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UU7ZPS/

Garmin StreetPilot c580 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with MSN Direct

List Price: $799.99

Price: $219.99

You Save: $580.00 (73%) http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-StreetPilot-3-5-Inch-Portable-Navigator/dp/B000MF7L50/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1213570877&sr=8-1

this is what I got my DH for our anniversary from amazon. It comes with 1 year free MSN Direct service. Ships free.

I don't know what the difference between StreetPilots and Nuvis are, but Nuvis are also cheap on amazon right now.

I bought my garmin nuvi 260 several months ago from amazon. I registered it with garmin. A few weeks ago they sent me an email to go and update my map for free with the 2009. I had 3 weeks to comply. I love my 260. Mom and dad took it with them on a trip and loved it too. Now I know what to get for Christmas.

Well I ended up buying the nuvi 260 from Amazon for $215. First I bought some amazon gift certificates on ebay to soften the price a bit, and hopefully the price drops within 30 days so I can take advantage of amazon's post-purchase price guarantee. Thanks for all the replies!

Well I ended up buying the nuvi 260 from Amazon for $215. First I bought some amazon gift certificates on ebay to soften the price a bit, and hopefully the price drops within 30 days so I can take advantage of amazon's post-purchase price guarantee. Thanks for all the replies!

Congratulations!

You are going to post a mini-review here after you receive it, right? :eek:

I'm still holding out for a deal on the newer Garmin nuvi 255, I'll be waiting a while :(

If the nuvi 260 drops to $149 to $189 I'll probably get one of those instead :)

Speaking of Amazon... why is the nuvi 350 cheaper than the nuvi 260? Isn't the 350 better?

I just noticed this, too. From what i can tell, it looks like the 260 and 350 are the same except

traffic = none

media = photos

battery life = up to 5 hrs

traffic = has traffic FM (with opt. receiver)

media = photos & MP3

battery life = up to 8 hrs

I got the Garmin nuvi 350 for $199.99 plus tax on Amazon. I ordered it last Monday and it was here on Wed.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-n%C3%BCvi-3-5-Inch-Portable-Navigator/dp/B000BKJZ9Q/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1213714371&sr=8-1

I borrowed my dad's a few weeks ago and loved it so I have been watching for a good deal. I think $200 is a great price for this!

• 1 month later...
Price on Amazon the the C580 is $189.99 today. I have this GPS and I love it. I also have a Magellan RoadMate 2200T and the C580 is much better. The routing algorithm is better plus my phone has bluetooth. The quality of the speakerphone is excellent. Some will not like the size (it won't fit in your pocket like the nuvi) but I purchased the lifetime MSN subscription and love it. Nice to be able to find cheap gas these days no matter where you are.