Buy a new LCD TV now or wait until Black Friday?

I have 2 televisions in my house. They are both over 10 years old, and I feel that it's time that I replace them. I want to get a 40" for the living room, and probably a 22" or a little larger for the bedroom.

I've check Salescircular.com weekly now for the last month, and have found good prices. I'm just curious how much I can potentially save if I wait until Black Friday? I have never priced the tv's on Black Friday so I don't know how much lower they generally run.

I want a name brand, so none of these $99 Walmart specials for me.

Any help please?:confused:

My husband just bought a Samsung 46 inch 1080P LCD (a650 something) at hhgregg. He likes it a lot. They have a 52 inch 1080p lcd for 1787.76 next weekend. I think it's the A550 version. They have 24 months no interest. the lowest price on pricegrabber was 1829 for this tv at Butterfly Photo, but they have no shipping or tax, so it might be better for you unless you need the 24 months no interest.

t

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a lot of the technology deals start in October. I THINK a lot of the new model TVs come out in September, so they wanting to sell the older TVs at cheaper rates. They even discount the TVs that came out in spring (the ones that are brand new right now).

Honestly I'd wait at this point. I've been waiting to build a new computer for over a year now. The price has dropped less than half of what I was going to pay. A new computer is not a necessity so I'm willing to wait until I get the most for my money. Since you are buying technology too, I'd wait if I were you.

I'd think about buying somewhere other than Sears because they don't always have great warrenty service. It's not just bad for appliances; the electronics warrenty isn't great, too. My mom called somone out for a TV repair and after 1 year the TV still wasn't fixed. I called Best Buy out to fix my TV and they had it fixed within a month (even having to order parts).

A better way in my opinion is to save up until you can pay for the TV. If you find one you like that you can afford, go for it. Black Friday deals are good but you can find deals all year....just have to be patient and look around.

I have the money in hand right now. It's not a matter of saving and waiting. I've been waiting to buy one now for 3 years, but with the prices continuing to fall, I want to buy when the prices finally level off. Electronics rarely go up in price so I know the longer I wait, the cheaper they'll be in the future. I feel like they are starting to level off now, but with Black Friday only 5 months away, I can wait if it means saving $50-100. I'm very frugal and not going to make an impulse buy.

I bought my 32' lcd hdtv the black friday before last for $480 (I slept out front of best buy). I didn't see a price that low until about a year or more later. I would wait for black friday (I waited 3 months watching a 13 inch to get the best deal, lol). Word of warning however, you WILL have to sleep out front of a store if you want the best priced tv...I guess it just depends what you're willing to do to save that $100.

Sometimes you run into a great deal as well...I found a 50' lcd hdtv at Target for $996!!! I wanted it soooo badly, but couldn't transport it home w/my car :no:good luck in your search!

My opinion is....If you can wait...Don't buy ANYTHING until Black Friday... From T.V's to vaccum cleaners, nothing beats Black Friday prices! Of course, if you're shopping for lots of stuff, you'll need a crew to help you. Plus... it's the thrill of getting the bargin ;)

I think it depends upon the technology that you want...most of the tv's I saw for Black Friday last year were the 720 dpi and dh will not buy one that is not 1080 dpi. We just had a hhgreg open here and their prices (at least for the opening) seemed really good. And if you do decide to buy now, make sure to ask if they can do anything better for you. We bought dh's tv (a monster 65" ws) from sound advise and paid less than the advertised sale price b/c we asked (and also on the cords & stuff that go with it).

From T.V's to vaccum cleaners, nothing beats Black Friday prices!

This is not necessarily true. I get great deals all year long and so do thousands of others from this site. My time is more valuable than an extra $100 spent camped out all night...sorry it is just me.

In my opinion TV prices have leveled for the most part. I agree with the other poster about the lower grades being offered on BF. I bought my TV at HHGregg as well. I haggled, price matched, begged, etc. and wound up getting it cheaper in October 2007 than it is now. It is a 1080P and wasn't on a great sale on BF. There are deals to be had now and on BF. You just need to be patient and ready to buy when you find the right deal for you.

And by the way, I would buy my cables at monoprice.com and save the money you would spend on them at any retail store. This is where they make their money! Depending on what you are hooking up you could save a lot of dough.

I think the best time is any holiday. I bought a tv on 4th of July at Circuit City and got a great deal for a 52" Sony. My current tv I bought at Sears LATE at night on Thanksgiving night after everybody was in bed (2007). That has been my BEST deal on a tv yet. But you kinda need to know exactly what you want and look for it because the tvs will vary by options and you will SO confuse yourself if it is a better deal unless you are comparing the SAME tv.

You can wait for BF. But you can also be waiting for 4 more months then find out the tv you want is sold out anyway.

they have good deals all the time. You just have to keep an eye out. If you know what you want and where you want it, put the information into

http://www.priceprotectr.com/

then you'll be notified if the price goes down.

and here are some of the 2007 BF lists

http://**********/Adscans

Hope something in here helps. :D

I would look for a great deal and buy it now. You can already start enjoying your TV. Just watch for coupons, etc. I bet there will be lots of 4th of July sales. My girls and their dad just got me a Samsung 32 inch LCD from Costco. I think I like Vizio better, but this one is nice too.