Laptop recommendations???

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, and I apologize if it's not. Anyway, I'd like some expert advice. I want to buy a laptop for my daughter for law school; it will be carried daily to classes (along with prob. a lot of heavy books). Weight is a major concern, since she has had some significant back problems. She will need a built in cd drive and good battery life, along with the usual wireless options, etc. She doesn't require a desktop replacement, since this will be a second computer, so graphics/speed is less of an issue. It will be used primarily for Internet and word-processing, but will be used for extended periods, so a good screen and comfortable keyboard are musts. Any opinions as to what trade-off for weight versus screen size and keyboard size are worth making? While I am a fan of Dell desktops for bang-for-the-buck, I have heard that their laptops are questionable when it comes to reliability. I know the IBM T42 series is a nice product, but I am not sure if they are a little too heavy. Others have suggested the Fujitsu S6120 and P70108, the Sony Vaio S series and the Panasonic Toughbook Y2. Since I am a neophyte, I was hoping that some of the forum members with a bit more expertise would take the time to offer some suggestions. THANKS (and, of course, I wouldn't mind any good deals either :rolleyes: ).

Obviously, I'd like to get a good price on whatever I decide to buy (I am allergic to paying retail :-), but price is not a major factor; as long as I am getting a good value for whatever I get, I want to buy what will be the best in terms of function and reliability (and most features for the lightest weight). And- it is for New York (yeah, I know, the sales tax is lousy...). Thanks again!

I would recommend the Dell Inspiron 700m from Dell Home Office.

Since you're allergic to paying retail don't forget to use a Dell coupon to save up to $800!

For your convenience I have pasted the coupons below:

• PDQL6VRR83TVCJ Save $500 on any Inspiron Notebook purchase of $1399 or more.

Coupon expires 4/12/05 at 5:59 am CT or after 4000 uses, whichever comes first.

• 4HNS5$HG$0JR0F Save $600 on any Inspiron Notebook purchase of $1599 or more.

• W2HKVHMFJVX3WM Save $800 on any Inspiron Notebook purchase of $1999 or more.

I would recommend buying now without hesitating, unless you want to fall victim to:

"You snooze, you lose"

Hmm.. any opinions as to the comfort of the keyboard, screen size, and RELIABILITY? I have read elsewhere that several people did not like the keyboard feel, and everyone seems to be complaining about Dell laptops (although I love their coupon deals)

What law school is your daughter attending? I ask because most colleges offer a student discount on laptops from Apple, IBM, Dell and other manufacturers. I would recommend contacting their college bookstore to see if any discounts are available.

Since size and weight are your primary concern I would look at the IBM ThinkPad X series. Be prepared to spend at least $1,800 for a nicely loaded ThinkPad X with recommended 3 year warranty.

Here is a nice review of the Dell Inspiron 700m from AnandTech.com

For only $1,020 you can get a very nicely loaded Dell Inspiron 700m using the $600 off $1,599 coupon:

Click here for Dell Home Office

Scroll down on the right click More Details underneath the 700m for $1,068

Select the 2nd laptop from the left with the $1,232 price

Scroll down and click Customize It

Your pre-discount price is $1,532.00

Select the following upgrades:

Primary Battery --> 65 WHr 8-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery [add $59 or $2/month1]

Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) --> Microsoft Works Suite 2005 - Includes Word 2002, Streets & Trips 2005 [add $29 or $1/month1]

Scroll to the bottom and click Continue, your new pre-discount price should be $1,620

Enter coupon code 4HNS5$HG$0JR0F which should deduct $600 :yelclap:

A few GottaDeal'ers including Brad own a Dell Inspiron 700m and AFAIK they're all very happy with the laptop.

Hmm.. any opinions as to the comfort of the keyboard, screen size, and RELIABILITY? I have read elsewhere that several people did not like the keyboard feel, and everyone seems to be complaining about Dell laptops (although I love their coupon deals)

I would not worry about the keyboards or reliability at all. I've been using a Dell laptop for 1 1/2 years, now. I like it a lot better than the Sony that I used for 2 years before that.

Dell's are totally reliable. I have 5 of them set up for people here at the bank, and they have been virtually maintenance free. The only thing I've had to do is add more memory for one of the marketing guys, so he could run photoshop and macromedia MX without waiting days for things to happen.

I have 4 Inspiron 1150 laptops and 1 Precision M60 (mine). 2 of the guys are very rough with their Inspirons, and it shows on the chasis. The chasis is scratched up and dented from throwing it into his car without the laptop case and from letting their kids use them. :mad: Anyway, functionally, they are still perfect. They look like crap, but they perform just like they should, despite the fact that they are abused beyond belief.

The 700m is a good laptop, but I'd prefer a fijitsu over it.

The fijitsu you mentioned actually is an awesome laptop, especially if you are looking for a laptop with a great screen. It is comparible to the X Series from IBM, but has a much faster processor. I'm also pretty sure that the most IBM X laptops don't have built in dvd/cd drives but I'd need to check that.

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=S62 - For a bit less than a X Series you get an awesome laptop that weights under 4lbs, and has a 13.3" Crystal View screen.

For what you need, the 700m is a good choice as Ross mentioned. I got mine for $800 ($500 coupon and $200 rebate cut the price down from $1500). The regular battery is not that great, so as Ross suggested, I'd get the extended battery. The keyboard is fine - although it is somewhat small because of the overall small size of the laptop. The screen is absolutely beautiful and is extremely bright and the high resolution on the 12" screen makes everything very sharp. Just my impressions from ~6 months of using it.

Thanks for all the feedback- I guess the varied opinions out there is what keeps everyone in business :-)

Brad- on the 700m- if the print size is uncomfortable on the native resolution due to its high resolution, is it still clear if a different display setting is chosen?

Is there a similar Latitude model (I know the coupons from Home tend to be better, and there is no tax, but I know several of the new Latitudes have hard drive shock protection and complete care warranty is available through sb and not Home in NY)?

Anyone else have any thoughts comparing the Dell 700M to the Fujitsu S6120 or 6231? Thanks again guys!

Lowering the resolution will make things a little more blurry (as it does on nearl all LCD monitors when you go lower than the native res) but it is by no means unusable. To be honest, if you plan on using it at a lower resolution then you might want to consider a different model as the nice screen is one of the main benefits of the 700m.

Brad- thanks- you are right, the native resolution is prob. actually a good setting; I was concerned that it might have been even higher, and then the print gets too small. It looks like anything smaller than the 700m doesn't have the built in optical drive, unless I am missing something....decisions, decisions....

It looks like anything smaller than the 700m doesn't have the built in optical drive, unless I am missing something....decisions, decisions....

You're right I forgot about that requirement, good catch.

External optical drives are a total pain in the ass, no thanks!

Brad- do you find any problem with glare on the 700 screen- I heard that can be a problem with the crystal screens. I am most interested in a classroom situation (I assume overhead flourescents)?

All your feedback has been very helpful. I have to decide between the Dell D610 you suggested above, which has price definitely in its favor but is about 5.65 pounds with battery and cd drive, the 700M, which is lighter but has a 12.1" screen, and still is a good buy, versus probably paying too much for the 13.3" Sony Vaio S360/380 (which is only 4.2 pounds) or the 14.1" Fujitsu S7020 which will be released next month, which will be 4.1 pounds. If I opt forthe Fujitsu or Sony, are there any resellers that have good prices on Fujitsu and/or Sony? I like the price of the Dells, but the weight of the others....

I personally know 6 people who have purchased Sony VAIO laptops and regretted it.

The support leaves a lot to be desired. They are very stylish, light and awesome looking. But if you ever need support, good luck.

Whatever laptop you finally decide on make sure to spend a few extra bucks for a warranty.

Yeah- that I know. What made the Sony tempting was that their 3 year accidental damage warranty was actually well-priced. Fujitsu only has accidental screen protection and that is an absurd $382 over and above the $300 for onsite 3 year service. Dell support may be a pain at times, but pricewise it is great coverage (although there is no completecare for NY :-(). After what you said about the Sony, I'll nix that. Any suggestions for decent resellers of the Fujitsus, and any feedback on their support (since the odds are, at some point, most laptops will need it)?

I personally know 6 people who have purchased Sony VAIO laptops and regretted it.

The support leaves a lot to be desired. They are very stylish, light and awesome looking. But if you ever need support, good luck.

Would agree with this sentiment (if Ross did not include me in the six mentioned) on many points as I have personally owned a number of Vaios (one purchase, five replacements across three different models). Sony mobile machines typically have very nice displays, but their proprietary parts/replacements are extremely expensive, and the support is truly awful. Even when coupled with a good local retailer's extended warranty, most regrettably mandate the first year is covered exclusively by Sony.

Unfortunately with notebooks, most of the parts are proprietary by design, and thus choosing a good manufacturer that stands behind their product (and repairs it when it does indeed fail) is a must.

Good question. I'm sure a good majority of them are due to user error installing the incorrect RAM, hard drive, etc. most are probably SOFTWARE related.

You may want to tell your boyfriend about the upcoming Dell $750 off $1499 coupon.

i told him, and i was looking around and pricing them, but he's absolutely convinced an IBM is for him.

i saw one for 1349 and i was like "ARE YOU SURE?!?!?!" sigh. maybe i'll just have to get my own. hehe.

I ordered the 700M but found that the small keyboard size was a huge problem. It's extremely noticeable especially if you're gonna be using word processor frequently. I actually sold mine back on ebay and used the money to get the Fujitsu s6231. I had a Fujitsu before that failed 700M experiment and I loved the brand. The components of the s6231 are so synchronized that even the 1.6 processor is lightning quick (and I had the 2.0 in my dell). Also, it comes with a full-size keyboard which made a HUGE difference. It's also ridiculously light and comes with a weight saver where u can pop out the cd/dvd drive and pop in the weight saver. saves you almost half a pound. hope this helped