Looking for a DVD/VCR combo

I'm looking for something, hopefully under $100, for a Mother's Day gift. Obviously, I have a month to find it, but any help would be appreciated.

I'm not looking for the bottom-of-the-line player, because I don't want to be Mr. Fix-It for the MIL.

Ray is right regarding Toshiba products. I'm pretty loyal to Panasonic, JVC and Toshiba as they are reliable and a great value. Sony is a hit and miss, they used to dominate the industry.

All great brands, Ross.

My TV and DVD player = both Panasonic.

My HT = Sony (it's a hit, though!)

My VCR = Toshiba

Yeah, I've had excellent experiences with Toshiba. My current TV is a Toshiba.

Thanks for the tip...looks like I'll buy now instead of waiting for a better sale. That seems to be a great price on a brand-name player.

Eh, I know you decided to buy this model already, but I thought I might add that I have either the model or two before it, and the DVD laser broke within less then a year of having it. And in that time we've watched maybe 50-85 movies, so it hasn't been used that much even.

Very disappointed in Toshiba :(

We have a Toshiba DVD/VCR that's about 2 1/2 years old now. Bought it when they were going for $200. Never had a problem.

Looks like the reviews on Amazon on this particular model are mixed. I heard that Toshiba is using lower-quality components for some of their cheaper models now (basically relying on their brand name to sell them), but I don't know if this is the case with it or not.

Well, it won't see much duty, because the MIL might watch 2-3 movies a month. She always wants to borrow movies, but all she has is a VCR that work intermittently. We have maybe 2 or 4 VHS movies, now.