Toshiba HD Toshiba DVD player + 5 free movies $99 at Buy.com

clintme

I would not suggest people buy the Toshiba HD player if you do not have one.Toshiba has officially dropped HD-DVD. Why buy into a technology format that is being abandoned, just doesn't make too much sense. If you really want this, wait little more because it will get cheaper than this Edited by mahyar1

I would not suggest people buy the Toshiba HD player if you do not have one.Toshiba has officially dropped HD-DVD. Why buy into a technology format that is being abandoned, just doesn't make too much sense. If you really want this, wait little more because it will get cheaper than this

Are you saying that they will no longer be manufacturing HD DVD's. Not just Toshiba but all the other companies that have been doing it recently, including Samsung? I'm a Sony fan so it really doesn't affect me.

no one will be making anymore hd dvd's. however it can play hd dvd's and can be used as an upconvert player. you will be able to get movies pretty cheap for it soon, so if you were going to buy an upconvert dvd player it's not a bad deal.

HD-DVD will be on it's way out, to join records, 8-tracks, those big 12" laserdiscs, and the betamax tapes in attics and basements across America.

But, it's true that you can use it to play regular DVDs. Just be aware that Blu-Ray is the future and that you'll only be able to buy used HD-DVDs after a while...

HD-DVD will be on it's way out, to join records, 8-tracks, those big 12" laserdiscs, and the betamax tapes in attics and basements across America.

But, it's true that you can use it to play regular DVDs. Just be aware that Blu-Ray is the future and that you'll only be able to buy used HD-DVDs after a while...

Yes... It's a bummer, as we bought an HD-DVD player (Toshiba) not long ago, then I read everybody is dropping the HDs and going for the Blu Rays. It is a good player though and we've enjoyed it so far--just too bad we'll probably want to update it in the near future...

I was actually considering buying an HD-DVD player to use for up-converting on our numerous DVD's, plus we could probably buy some cheap HD=DVD's before too long.

So you think this is a bad idea?

I don't think it's a bad idea per say, as long as you know what you are getting yourself into... Think of it this way, would you today buy a record player and a bunch of old records? If so, then go for it... The records are still music, even if there are new CDs coming out all the time.

This is indeed a tough call. I've owned HD DVD since it launched in May 06 and have owned Blu-Ray for about a year. Before recommending anyone to buy an HD DVD player after the news that it has all but died, you really have to look at all the angles here:

1. Since Toshiba's announcement to abandon HD DVD, Blu-Ray player prices have actually INCREASED.

2. Are you willing to drop $400 or on a Blu-Ray player within the next year or so?

The main question is this: Are you planning on sticking with Standard DVDs until Blu-Ray players go down? If that's the case, then why not pick up this player? Like everyone said, it does upscale DVDs quite nicely (and is now probably the most inexpensive up-converting DVD player you can find) and HD DVDs are still available for purchase. However, if you know that you'll probably get a Blu-Ray player in the next year or so (which also upconverts standard DVDs) then I'd say not to get it because at this point, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to have 2 seperate players.

Sidenote: It pains me to say that because I have enjoyed HD DVD for (essentially) the last 2 years and can't say enough good things about the format. But, I don't want to get off-topic here...

Yeah I heard on the news last night that stores were going to completely stop selling HD DVDs and they wouldnt even be manufactured anymore. Best Buy said they were going to sell what they had in stock and not sell anymore after the ones they had were gone. So the conversion to blueray is already taking place. I know it sucks, I have two HD DVD players.

Please dont waste your money on a HD player.