Hollywood Video Closing

mychza

Ok, so this may not be new news in your area, but I was in Blockbuster the other day buying movies and they said that the Hollywood Videos are closing this week. They will colse their doors today and then reopen Thursday or Friday to sell out their inventory. Does anyone know if this is just Tampa, or all over? Either way, if you're in Tampa this is a great opportunity to get some movies for cheap later in the week.

my local one closed sometime last year and moved to a smaller location. now i see a "for lease" sign up in their new location.

i think this area just has ridiculously high rents. plus their new location is horrible, with no attached parking lot.

Same here, ours closed awhile ago....they didn't have any deals.

Same here, ours closed awhile ago....they didn't have any deals.

we were mad when they closed too, because we had the "MVP" program with the "no late fees" so we took our time returning one set of rentals and they wanted to hit us with a ton of late fees because "the store is closing and we ended our MVP program."

thanks for telling us! we argued our way out of those.

Three out of the past four times I rented from HV, I was charged late fees for movies when I clearly brought them back within the timeframe. (I usually get two and drop them both off. Make sure I get the five day rentals and always drop them off on day four.)

Anyway....the last time I rented was in January, did my usual thing with the returns and just never saw a reason to go back. Anyway, I got a letter from a collections dept last week labled "Final Notice!" billing me $55.00 for not returning Spiderman 3 back in January.

I called the store and yes.....they forgot to log it in.....again! And made the corrections. I also cancelled my account there saying that this wasn't the first instance I had with this problem and they obviously had no right sending this out for collections, when they never even called to ask to see if I had the movie. After that I called the collections people and made sure that the slate was wiped clean.

No wonder they're going out of business.

yeah, i saw that my movie gallery (which bought hollywood in about '05) is closing... I may stop in... i didnt think about tv series... but they rent by disc... if its three discs thats... 22.50.... so i guess it just depends on how expensive the series still is.

Heck, our BLOCKBUSTER closed over a year ago. My grocery store has reduced it's rental selection down to just the top new releases. Only place to go around here now is Family Video. We have had really good luck there so far. Nice employees and always in stock on what we want.

I had no idea they were closing. I just signed up for a membership a few weeks

ago because they would not rent movies to me under my husband's name.

Go figure! They told me I would get 50% off all rentals for the first month. So

I have been going there a lot. I guess I will need to ask them if this store is

closing. They are so much cheaper than Blockbuster, so I would be pretty

bummed if they did close.