What GPS system would recommend?

madiemae06 -- by voice activation, do you mean that you want the unit to recite the directions to you, or do you want to be able to "tell it" what address you want to go to (speech activation).

If it's the latter, you should know that there are only a few units that can listen to your voice for the destination -- The TomTom 920 and 920T and the Garmin nuvi 850 are three that I know of off the top of my head, they start at $550.00 (the Garmin 850 is $850).

I have the Garmin 360, Walmart had it for almost $500 and I wasnt willing to pay that, I found it from Amazon for $299. I really like it, It has bluetooth for your phone which I LOVE, it has street names instead of just saying "turn left" and I know it has voice command for your phone but I havent used that part and I probably wont, the whole voice thing has never worked out well for me so I just skip it, but I have to say it was a great choice for me. Amazon also has a comparison chart on the Garmins, it kinda breaks each one down and it features, it helped me decide since I wanted one with a long batter life because I like to go to NYC and It is going to be so great to have one I can take along with me instead of having to use it in the car. Mine also came with a home and a car charger, from what I was told, some of them only have the car charger so that would be bad on trips to the city where I have no car.

...some of them only have the car charger so that would be bad on trips to the city where I have no car.

There are ways around that:

http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/P10398367.jpg

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/AC-to-DC-Car-Charger-Socket-Adapter/2117787/product.html?IID=prod2117787

Also, TomTom GPS units have mini-USB connectors for the car charger or USB-cable connector for the computer. TomToms can be charged via the connection to the computer, or any Motorola phone A/C power cord.

Costco has Garmin Nüvi 650 GPS

$299.99 After $100 Off

4.3" Touch Screen Display

Turn-by-Turn Directions

Speaks Street Names

$299.99

Item # 236897

Plus Shipping & Handling

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11237450&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US&s=1#

Includes:

Preloaded City Navigator® NT for North America

Vehicle Suction Cup Mount

Vehicle Power Cable

Dashboard Disk

USB Cable

Quick reference guide

Features:

Display: 4.3" diagonal WQVGA color TFT w/white backlight

Preloaded maps: City Navigator® NT for North America

Lithium-ion Battery life: Up to 7 hours

Voice prompts: Turn right in 500ft.

Speaks street names: Turn right On Elm Street in 500ft.

2D & 3D Map Perspective

Auto re-route: Fast off-route & Detour Recalculation

Choice of route setup: Faster time, Shorter distance, Off road

Route Avoidance: Avoid highways, tolls etc

Custom POIs: Add additional points of interest

FM traffic Compatible

Accepts data cards: SD Card Not Included

MP3 player, Audio book player, Picture viewer

Configurable Vehicle Icons: Select car-shaped icons for map navigation

World travel clock, currency & measurement converter, calculator

Garmin Lock™ Anti-Theft feature

Display dimensions: 3.81" W x 2.25" H

Unit dimensions: 4.9" W x 2.9" H x .9" D

Weight: 6.2 oz.

Check out the tomtom go 720...i know its accurate and very reliable, also has blue tooth compatibility so you could receive up to date traffic, text to speech, and mapshare (free updated open source mapping technology)...i think this will fit your requirements...good luck!

The TomTom XL-S has those features too, for less money.

The real question is what madiemae06 meant by "voice activation".

If she truly needs "speech activation" (for her to be able to navigate to a particular address by simply saying it out loud) vs. the much-more-common "text to speech" (were the unit says "Turn right on Oak Street in 200 yards), then that severely limits her options.

We have the Garmin Nuvi 660. Love it, love it! Purchased it from Amazon back in Nov. 07 for $400. Super easy to use, excellent prompts, the maps are easy to see and interface with while on the road. Fantastic in cities. Wonderful for long trips on the interstates. Constantly calculates your progress and shows your arrival time. Lets you know how long a traffic delay will be so you can decide if you want to detour. Recalculates if you make a mistake, or you choose to head off course for something. Where's the nearest Starbucks? So much more useful that just getting directions from Point A to Point B. Impressed with the accuracy of the maps - so far "Ms Garmin" hasn't led us astray once, has even taught us some excellent shortcuts we never knew existed! My husband likes the hands free cellphone feature on the 660 so it goes to work with him everyday. You'll love having a GPS.