WARNING- Buckmasters Magazine rip-off- UPDATE in #5, need help!

These people have been calling us day and night for weeks. They start in at 6:00 a.m. The calls show up as an unknown number, and when you answer, there is no one on the other end. They used to call, just to 'chat' about hunting.

Well, last week, they got ahold of DH. I heard him tell them, "how much?!?! No way can I afford that!" He then hung up.

I didn't think another thing about it until we got an invoice today for $129.00. It thanked us for our magazine order. I called and threw a fit. I was told they couldn't invoice us unless we agreed to subscribe. I demanded to hear the tapes. He then proceeded to tell me that if DH didn't order it, then how come he (the guy on the phone) had spoken with him twice, today. I asked what number, he recited our home number.

DH works 30 miles away, in a different town, there is no way he was on the phone. Like I wouldn't notice he was missing 10 hours on his paycheck.

Finally, the guy agreed to cancel it. I asked for confirmation. I was told, "ma'am, we are a professional company. We have no need to send out a confirmation, we'll stick by our word."

Yeah, right!

So, the moral of the story is, do NO business with these people. They are a royal pain in the butt.

Edited by amyers12345

Wow! thanks for the heads up. I cannot believe that they were so rude like that! I usually try to get confirmations when I cancel things. I don't think any company should have a problem giving you a confirmation, not even a big company. I think a professional company will freely give confirmations and usually without you asking!:no:

Supposedly, if you specifically tell them to add you to their "do not call" list and/or to stop calling you, then if they DO call again, you can take legal action against them. I can't remember all the details about it, but if you look up the national Do Not Call Registry, I'm almost positive I saw something about this on their website.

Also, I was getting letters and phone calls about a store credit card debt of my exhusband's a few years ago, saying he'd told them his exwife had that card (um, he has TWO exwives- I just happen to be the 2nd one... and have never lived anywhere NEAR the store! LOL) A friend of mine helped me find the fax number for them and typed up a very official sounding letter telling them to cease and desist (sp?) all contact with me or legal action would be taken. I doubt I ever would have taken legal action (unless they messed up my credit somehow), but the letter was apparently enough to get them to leave me alone! :)

HTH!!

• 3 weeks later...

Last night, DH received a magazine. They were supposed to cancel this. They now refuse, saying we ordered it, which we did not.

How can they charge us for something we didn't order? If we do not pay it in 2 weeks, they are threatening to send it to collections. What do I need to do/say?

If you can find an address/info for them, you should sent them a letter stating that you did not order the magazine, that you told them no on the phone, etc, and keep a copy of it and send it certified so they have to sign for it and you get the little receipt thing with their signature on it back to you

If you can find an address/info for them, you should sent them a letter stating that you did not order the magazine, that you told them no on the phone, etc, and keep a copy of it and send it certified so they have to sign for it and you get the little receipt thing with their signature on it back to you

I agree, you need to send a certified letter diputing the validity of this debt. You also need to demand proof that this was ordered either with a signature or copy of the recording.

I guess they got our # from DH signing up for contests on their website.

I called back tonight, and told the guy the story w/o giving him our name. He told me that he remembered the conversation well and he asked DH if he wanted to pay over the phone and DH told him now way, etc. Then I told him that was funny because the last time I called Chris told us that and this guy's name was john.

He then got mad and hung up on me.

I am going to send the letter, and I am hoping this goes much further and runs them into the ground. From the sound of these guys, it's all commission based, and the call from their private cell phones sometimes.

Last night, DH received a magazine. They were supposed to cancel this. They now refuse, saying we ordered it, which we did not.

How can they charge us for something we didn't order? If we do not pay it in 2 weeks, they are threatening to send it to collections. What do I need to do/say?

Another thing you can do is send the magazine back also in a certified mailer, that way they can't say you have the magazine. I can't understand why a magazine would be $129 in the first place, I have never heard of a magazine costing that much!:shock:

Another thing you can do is send the magazine back also in a certified mailer, that way they can't say you have the magazine. I can't understand why a magazine would be $129 in the first place, I have never heard of a magazine costing that much!:shock:

A year of people magazine is about that much but they come out weekly.

I agree. This company is out of control. I also had trouble with them. When we did not renew our subscription, they called constantly. When I told them we were not interested, the guy preceded to inform me my name was not on the account and demanded to speak to my husband. I finally got mad and told him that this is harrassment and I would report him if he continued to call. Absolutely ridiculous behavior from them.

I can't believe they are still doing this. We got a call to pick 3 magazines that we like and they would charge my cc $129 for all three and that's when I said no thank you. They didn't have my CC # but they called us for months. I just started saying to the magazine rep "that we've been getting these calls lately because we just got a new number!":D...umm yes, I was dishonest and I do admit to that but it got them to stop.