Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2008

Gator Pam

There was just a thing on our news the last couple of weeks about something similar to this. It had more to do with food, but it was about everything really...if a store has food that is going out of date, bakery items, damaged paper goods or they are getting in new fruit or something and want to move out the older stuff, they can donate it and there is no legal consequence to them if something were to happen to the consumer. It was reported the Wal-mart will not "donate" anything to an organization trying to salvage items. This could just be the local Wal-mart, but who knows. Even canned food or jarred baby food that isn't expired and the seal is still good, they throw it out. It's really dumb! I've never seen the "green" sticker at Target, so I don't know if that's true or not.

We had a power outage at our local Walmart last fall - they called the local Soup Kitchen and donated HUNDREDS of pounds of meat so it wouldn't go to waste.

I did see green stickers on some Hello Kitty sewing machines a little while back, but that's the only time I've seen them. Why would they destroy and throw out some things, but then send others to Goodwill? That makes no sense to me....

Same reason restaurants can't donate leftover foods at the end of the day -- if someone who eats it gets sick, they can sue the restaurant. It's a risk businesses can't take.

At closing everyday Panera Breads will donate all their breads and pastries leftover from that day to whichever charities or non-profits show up. Our MOPS group has a mountain of breads, pastries, and bagels at each meeting all donated by Panera... so some places do do that....

When I got my receipt today at Target, I got a printed register receipt... $1 off any Tide Detergent. As they are clearance (only 30% right now so I'll wait as they have 30+ of them) is there anywhere I can find a tide coupon to add to the Target coupon? Printable at least? Of course I didn't clip any coupons in the last couple of weeks for tide in my Sunday paper.

I believe there will be a P&G coupon booklet in this Sunday's paper. There are always Tide q's in there.

re: the stickers sometimes showing the wrong original price and thus the wrong % off amt too - I have seen this happen more than once and occasionally if something really is wrong in the system, it can result in you getting MORE than 75% off in the end. But with the Shrek figures, I am pretty sure they were $5 originally because I bought some for the stockings back at Christmas, full price.

I went today to Target and they had Bratz dolls regular 9.99 for 50% off. Good birthday gifts for children.

I posted about Bratz last week. My store had 4 different girl dolls and they were 2.48 each. They had on long evening gowns and they were very nice looking.*as opposed to the normally trashy looking ones*These were normal barbie size. I bought 10 of them and I would have gotten more but my cart was way full. Awesome deal :yup:

I posted about Bratz last week. My store had 4 different girl dolls and they were 2.48 each. They had on long evening gowns and they were very nice looking.*as opposed to the normally trashy looking ones*These were normal barbie size. I bought 10 of them and I would have gotten more but my cart was way full. Awesome deal :yup:

Yeah, I remember. At the time I thought, wow, I've NEVER seen decent looking girl ones. The boy ones are kinda cute, though. They look like actual boys. I have only boys, but still buy for nieces. Just can't bring myself to buy those girls, though.

We had a power outage at our local Walmart last fall - they called the local Soup Kitchen and donated HUNDREDS of pounds of meat so it wouldn't go to waste.

I did see green stickers on some Hello Kitty sewing machines a little while back, but that's the only time I've seen them. Why would they destroy and throw out some things, but then send others to Goodwill? That makes no sense to me....

Hope this will clear some things up about this topic.

I work for a large mfg. & I handle return authorizations daily. Our company issues returns & then the stores sends back the product on our trucks when me make del of new product to the store. We do charge a restocking fee. They do not get credit until we get it back. We resell the product locally with no warranty at a large markdown as a service to our community & some may go to charity. If it is too badly damaged it is destyoyed. If it ships to Canada it must be destroyed to recieve credit since it cannot be returned to the US. Trade laws. I have been informed by many stores that many MFG. require product to be destroyed at st. level & not resold or the store will NOT recieve credit from the product mfg. Some companies just do not have the capability to have product returned back to them for store credit. Every MFG. is different, but it is economics. Target is terrable as far as st return policy. I tried to return an item that had been used but was unhappy with & they REFUSED! Our store will not take back opened or used items. TERRABLE customer satisfaction policy!!!! The only store I am aware of with this policy in my area!!!!!

Target is terrable as far as st return policy. I tried to return an item that had been used but was unhappy with & they REFUSED! Our store will not take back opened or used items. TERRABLE customer satisfaction policy!!!! The only store I am aware of with this policy in my area!!!!!

Wow! That is pretty awful. It is NOT their stated policy. Have you tried the CS line about that? Or the email? That is absurd. If an item is lousy it is lousy. They are supposed to take it back. They make a genera exception for stuff like videos, video games and shoes, but those fall under the whole common sense thing. Most items you should be able to return.

Target is terrable as far as st return policy. I tried to return an item that had been used but was unhappy with & they REFUSED! Our store will not take back opened or used items. TERRABLE customer satisfaction policy!!!! The only store I am aware of with this policy in my area!!!!!

That's HORRIBLE! First time I've heard that. Generally, the stores I go to (on East coast) have been overall very considerate of returns. Sorry you are having that type of trouble.

Update on the Green Sticker issue:

I went to another Target (Riverdale,NYC) and asked a manager today regarding returns and being destroyed. He told me that they donate foods to City Harvest. YAY!!! And they also donate non-food items as well to several local charities here. He told me that Green stickers mean donation, Red stickers mean destroy. He said, "For example if Bounty towels package is opened, they cannot donate because if there's a chemical that was absorbed, it could hurt someone." Perhaps each Target is different in how it handles returns. Or maybe the associate in Westbury, NY was misinformed. If I find out any more info, I'll keep everyone posted.

It's a really sweet deal to be able to return items bought at 50% off when we find them at 75% off. But I would feel really guilty if I knew what I was returning was going to be destroyed. I could barely sleep last night. Probably I'm being silly? :? I would hate for us all to get great deals but end up creating more waste.

On a sale note...for anyone who has the Neutrogena Wave, has anyone else noticed that very few places stock the pad refills? If you can find one, then there's a $3 off coupon at Neutrogena website. $6.99-$3MQ=3.99. I managed to stumble upon 2 and hid them thanks to everyone's help! Malt-O-Meal cereal medium sized bags are $2.69 but few selections left. There's a $1 MQ off too..which makes it cheaper than any other place I've looked at. No more Easter stuff either. I'm glad I got what I could at 75% instead of trying to wait for 90% off.

Hate to beat a dead horse but I returned a power ranger rain slicker that was too small for DS and it got a green sticker. The ee was really unfriendly or else I would have asked her about it.

Snausages, how are the Riverdale deals? I pass by that Target on the Deegan all the time and I have to fight myself not to stop and browse.

YAY! on my way to get free ink at walgreens i noticed that i am getting a brand new target about 2.5 miles from my house!!!!!!!! :D:eyepoppin:cheesy::D:cheesy: Edited by Xfeg
extra smiley got in there somehow

Got a question for everyone to verify what a Target associate told me...

I was returning some items and when the person scanned it, she had to put a green sticker on each of the items. When I asked her what the sticker was for, she said that means Target won't allow it to be resold anymore and basically it is thrown out. She also pointed out a bunch of other stuff on a big flatbed cart that also would be thrown out. I asked if Target will allow its employees to take them or will Target donate them? She replied that Target will not give it to anyone for fear of being sued if someone got hurt from the item. All the stuff will get squashed with a compactor before going to the sanitation, so people cannot even scope out the trash area for goodies. I was astounded and she said that usually Target employees don't tell customers unless they ask. She even concurred how upsetting it is since there are tons of ppl that would be grateful for anything. She said it's even more upsetting when they do that with food!

IS THIS REALLY TRUE??? If so, it makes me think twice about buying or returning anything in the future. I'm so upset by it now. Please tell me she was either mis-informed or she was just pulling my chain since today is April Fool's Day!

----

Btw, I was at Westbury, NY Target today and Easter was totally gone. Even the Dollar spot was pretty wiped clean. And no good clearance deals at all. One of the worst deals stores I've been to in a while. I walked out without buying a SINGLE thing! And that's rare!!!

Years ago my husband worked at Wal-Mart when he was in college and he said they did do that.....So I suppose it is true that Target does it too....It is such a shame they cant donate the items to those in need...What a waste!!

Does video game clearance every go 90% off OR does it get salvages after 75% off? I have my eye on 2 games (GBA). They were origonally $29.99. They are currently $7.48. Will they go lower or should I buy now?

Most stores salvage them after 75%. Occasionally you will find one for less, but it is rare.

i've been reading all of your amazing finds the past few months and i'm in awe.

(i limit myself to once a week, mostly for groceries.)

so, i'm wondering...

how do you find all the deals?

are they just on the endcaps labeled "clearance"?

are they ever on the normal shelves?

or sometimes somewhere else?

really, i'm most psyched about the toy clearance. :) but it's so many months away.

thanks!

Today at Target I saw they lowered the Large boxes of Kleenex tissue to .83 a box. Its the box that was clearance last week to $1.48. We go through tissue like crazy and I bought all 5 boxes I found. I have a stock pile of things in the garage shelving that I buy and put away for later. LOL>

Small boxes clearanced to .73 a box.

Lowered the Exedrin to $3.38 a 2 pack. Had a $2 off coupon so $1.38 was cheap.

between the Disney Mix Max and the N Power Fission, which is better? I want to get one for my DD8 b-day in July but I am not sure which one is better...I want to get one that plays movies, music and displays pictures on it.....TIA for all your opinions...

When I got my receipt today at Target, I got a printed register receipt... $1 off any Tide Detergent. As they are clearance (only 30% right now so I'll wait as they have 30+ of them) is there anywhere I can find a tide coupon to add to the Target coupon? Printable at least? Of course I didn't clip any coupons in the last couple of weeks for tide in my Sunday paper.

Oh, I also bought that MP3 player today. They had 4 in the clearance section. $12.48 and I was able to use my $5 off of $25 coupon... As I also found a bike on clearance for $7.54! WOW. 18" boys bike

Really! What kind of bike is it? Do you have the DCPI number? I'm looking for a bike for my nephew.

Hate to beat a dead horse but I returned a power ranger rain slicker that was too small for DS and it got a green sticker. The ee was really unfriendly or else I would have asked her about it.

Snausages, how are the Riverdale deals? I pass by that Target on the Deegan all the time and I have to fight myself not to stop and browse.

Not that great because it is near a big housing complex area and also right by the subway; so therefore lots of ppl all the time there. From my observations between NYC Targets (Riverdale, Queens, Brooklyn) & NJ Targets, I would say I get much better deals in NJ! Sadly since I rely on others to carpool to NJ, I don't get to enjoy those deals as much as I would like.

So you are definitely not missing out on much by passing Riverdale Target by and driving on! :) If you do stop by there, free parking, which is rare here LOL! Not to abuse it, but if you had a few errands to run in the city during the day, you might be able to leave your car there and then hop on the subway and come back later...DON'T take my word for it though since I've yet to try it!

What stores in NJ have the best deals in your opinion? I promise I won't steal your deals since I *rarely* get to NJ these days...esp the toll hikes.. :(

Edited by snausages

between the Disney Mix Max and the N Power Fission, which is better? I want to get one for my DD8 b-day in July but I am not sure which one is better...I want to get one that plays movies, music and displays pictures on it.....TIA for all your opinions...

:)

Wow! That is pretty awful. It is NOT their stated policy. Have you tried the CS line about that? Or the email? That is absurd. If an item is lousy it is lousy. They are supposed to take it back. They make a genera exception for stuff like videos, video games and shoes, but those fall under the whole common sense thing. Most items you should be able to return.

That is Targets policy here in the Kansas City area. If it has been opened they will not take it back even if you have your reciept.

That is Targets policy here in the Kansas City area. If it has been opened they will not take it back even if you have your reciept.

Is that posted? It is not the corporate policy. But they may do this state by state if state law allows it. That is where the "other restrictions may apply" thing comes into play. I would certainly ask someone on the 800 number or by email (better b/c you have something in writing if the store is wrong) about it at your own store.

http://www.target.com/b/ref=br_bx_1/602-6147133-4250229?ie=UTF8&node=13685491

I just bought my DD6 the Disney Mix Max for her bday in two weeks. I'm honestly not sure whether it's "better" or not, but in my opinion it was more girly and had a better selection of movies and music that you can purchase to go with it. Also, she tends to enjoy Disney items more than Universal... HTH!!! :)

Was this in the aisle that the MM juice was normally in? Just wodering because they have juice boxes in 2 places here now - the normal place and the old Easter section. They didn't have any MM in the newly restocked seasonal area.

Both sections... I started out in the regular aisle no MM. Then I noticed they had set up some juice in the seasonal section so I checked it as well... no MM.

:)

My kids both have the Nickelodeon mp3 players with video. We have had no problem downloading music from Amazon or from their own CD collection. Also, the Disney music and video clips are compatible with the Nickelodeon players. The Nick players seem to have a good battery life and also have some built in games (not sure if Disney has games or not). Anyway, overall, we are quite happy with the Nickelodeon players.

The Npower Fission doesn't play video. The Fusion does. I think it depends on your dd and which characters she likes. I got my dd9 the Fusion because she's into NBB and she has waaay much Disney (HM and HSM esp.) stuff already. I haven't given it to her yet, and it's still in the box so I can't give a review yet.