mp3 music dowloads...Best Website?

friholic

Hi, I consulted DH he is always downloading music. He suggested Walmart for music downloads. (I had no clue they even did that:D )

http://musicdownloads.walmart.com/catalog/servlet/MainServlet

Check out their special pricing section. They have some songs for $0.54 each. The rest of their songs appear to cost between $0.88 and $0.94

Happy Holidays!

Just keep in mind that if you have purchased Ipods you'll be using Itunes...which does not always support/convert the Walmart downloaded songs. We ran into that problem last year and had to copy most of our songs from Windows Media Player onto blank CDs, then import them into Itunes.

I'm pretty clueless myself but my dd uses *****.

I'm not completely up on ***** but I believe it is no different than *****...most (if not all) of the material on there is an illegal copy. You're better off to stick to Rhapsody, Itunes, Walmart, etc, so as not to infringe on the copyrights.

Here's a list of legal music download sites, straight from the RIAA's site:

http://www.riaa.com/toolsforparents.php?content_selector=legal_music_sites

This list is much larger than the last time I reviewed it, so there are quite a lot of choices to explore.

I went to Rhapsody through Best Byuy webstie. I signed up for a free trial for 30 days. I can listen to songs I have chosen, but can't download them to the mp3. It says I have to purchase them first.

I might have read the agreement wrong, but I thought you could download the music to mp3 for 30 days risk free/trial, but if you wanted to burn them to CD then had to purchase.

I can see how kids can rack up a huge bill trying to load thier ipods and such. They think it is a free service, but you have to pay .89 per song. I mean not a bad price for a song, but I thought I was trying it for FREE.

I've used walmart for DD (6) and it has been fine but mostly we just use her CD collection to add songs to her MP3 I'd do that for "giving" to them and worry about downloading songs later ;)

Can you use I-Tunes for Any MP3 player? I'm clueless. Dh does all the Mp3 players in this house. We don't have I-pods just Mp3, Fp3 (Fisher Price) and Zunes ??

thanks everyone, I was checking this site for an update of the Hasbro/pony thread. Sent the kids off to the movies with DH, so I could finish wrapping presents.

I have been adding some of their songs from CD's. So excited when I could actually play them on the mp3. Victory. I just wanted a few new songs that we don't have on CD. They are starting at that age when they like a song from one group and another song from a different one. Heck, now it is so easy. If you wanted different songs from various groups when I was growing up you had to sit around the radio and listen to the weekend Top 40 Countdown and try and tape your favorites. Ok, now I have really shown my age. :)

I believe Rhapsody (had it a long time ago) lets you d/load songs to a playlist on your computer thru their program. But in order to d/load to an MP3 player or CD, you have to pay for it first. Then (and this is with almost all of the sites), you can only copy or d/load that purchased song so many times before your license for the file expires...but don't worry, it's usually like 10 times. I have not noticed or encountered that problem with Itunes though, so maybe that's one advantage to Itunes. :confused: I'm not really a fan of Itunes, but my kids have Ipods and that's what you have to use.

If you're using a regular (non-Ipod) player, you might be better off financially using Walmart.com or the like where you don't have to pay any monthly fee to use their program (like Rhapsody).

I use Napster and have had no problems in the last year. I just pay as you go not for a memebership or anything. And, if you happen to be military, you can get a discount on Napster. Regular price is $.99 per track and albums are usually less that $10 unless they are just released. I have found it very easy to use and I have always found whatever I was looking for for the kids, my parents or myself. NApster works with most all MP3 players.

According to Wal-marts site, they have both WMA and MP3 files. They state that the MP3 files are usable by I-pods, but the WMA files are not. Before I purchase, does anyone have experience to the contrary? THe prices are great and I have always used Itunes, but would try the Walmart MP3 files if this is correct.

According to Wal-marts site, they have both WMA and MP3 files. They state that the MP3 files are usable by I-pods, but the WMA files are not. Before I purchase, does anyone have experience to the contrary? THe prices are great and I have always used Itunes, but would try the Walmart MP3 files if this is correct.

I don't know that for sure, but like I said earlier, when we converted our music library, some songs did & some did not convert. We had a lot of Walmart song downloads at that point, but I'm not sure which ones may not have converted properly. I'll check it out and see...my son's been bugging me to get him a song, so I'll look for an MP3 file and try it out.

Okay, I checked it out and read the MP3 vs WMA files info they now have available. Unfortunately, I could not find one of the songs I needed as an MP3 file...only WMA. Maybe the MP3 thing is rather new and they haven't got too many uploaded yet? I'll keep an eye out though...it might only be $0.10 cheaper, but that adds up quickly around here.

I don't know that for sure, but like I said earlier, when we converted our music library, some songs did & some did not convert. We had a lot of Walmart song downloads at that point, but I'm not sure which ones may not have converted properly. I'll check it out and see...my son's been bugging me to get him a song, so I'll look for an MP3 file and try it out.

Okay, I checked it out and read the MP3 vs WMA files info they now have available. Unfortunately, I could not find one of the songs I needed as an MP3 file...only WMA. Maybe the MP3 thing is rather new and they haven't got too many uploaded yet? I'll keep an eye out though...it might only be $0.10 cheaper, but that adds up quickly around here.

THanks for the info. I think I'll break down a try a couple when DD gets the new Ipod tomorrow!

Thanks to all. My DS was very excited about his new mp3 player. Thought Mom was even cool for having songs on there already. :cool:

We have to different mp3 players. I am able to download/rip/send music to the mp3 from my desktop on one mp3, it plays great. On the other one it shows that the files are on there, but then I can't seem to play them on the mp3. However, I was able to get them on both mp3s by putting music on them from my laptop.

So I will keep trying to figure out what I am doing wrong as far as that goes. But, it was fun to already have some music on my DS for this morning. Thanks to all for your help. Gotta Deal Rocks.

**** is good AND it's free. Probably not legal though. I don't know. Anybody out there know?

If the song/video/software you are trying to download for free is copyrighted material, it's an illegal download. So, basically, if it was ever released on a CD/DVD/Software package and you get it for free, you're not paying the royalties due the copyright holder and are therefore in violation.