What do you think the proper etiquette is for receiving gifts?

my2kidsmom

If you give someone a gift, do you expect the receipient to open the gift in front of you at the time you give it or to wait until Christmas to open it?

We are taking our gifts over to my in-laws tomorrow. My SIL told me they were going to wait until Christmas day to let the kids open them. I just thought this was weird...I feel kind of cheated out of getting the see their kids open and enjoy the gifts I put so much effort into buying. (Selfish on my part, I guess)....

What do you think about this?

i tell the person to open it. i'm like you i want to see their reaction. you should call you SIL and tell her you want them to open them when your there, that it's part of your christmas that you enjoy and you feel like your missing out on that enjoyment.

we get together with my sisters and mother and aunts and everyone on christmas eve to do our christmas..always open our gifts that day. most everyone spends christmas day in their own houses. (although we go to mil in the afternoon) i like that it is split up...i think my little one enjoys each gift more than being bombarded with so much exciting stuff!

Gifts given to us in our home are placed under the tree for Christmas morning.

In group gatherings in public locations where everyone has a gift they are opening (specifically, kids parties), I let the kids open them. If the kids are given a gift in public, but not everyone receives one, they thank the giver and bring it home to be unwrapped on Christmas morning.

If the kids receive a gift at someone else's home, we pretty much follow the hosts lead. If the host wants it opened then, we let them open it. If they don't mind either way, we take them home.

I have learned as I've grown older that people find this odd, but I've always felt a Christmas gift was a Christmas gift. When I give someone a gift, I want them to place it under their tree and open it Christmas morning. I put thought, effort and money into selecting and wrapping a gift, and I enjoy the thought of someone having it under the tree for a few days and anticipating what I may have selected for them.

Oh, and if someone gives them a gift after Christmas, they can open it at that time.

In group gatherings in public locations where everyone has a gift they are opening (specifically, kids parties), I let the kids open them. If the kids are given a gift in public, but not everyone receives one, they thank the giver and bring it home to be unwrapped on Christmas morning.

If the kids receive a gift at someone else's home, we pretty much follow the hosts lead. If the host wants it opened then, we let them open it. If they don't mind either way, we take them home.

Oh, and if someone gives them a gift after Christmas, they can open it at that time.

I just don't agree with the opening statement. If someone usually gives a gift to my kids @ Christmastime.........unless the person specifies it, I'll let them open it just so they can thank the person for the gift and let them see the response. I agree with pretty much everything else.

Guest macedon1001

Definitely open it right away. My nephews moved this year and I certainly missed watching them open the packages.

My sister promised to call when the package arrive so they could open it while I was on the phone...They couldn't wait and tore into the packages immediately...

What's wrong with the parents that they couldn't place the box on the counter and sort them in piles before the kids just grabbed them not knowing who's was who's...I blame the parents for that one!!! Probably her husband...he's always doing whatever he wants...without thinking....