86year old Mother-in-Law gift?

Promom

As my great-grandmother got older and older (she lived to be 1 month short of 100 yrs) she needed less and less. The last 10 years of her life I think we got her lotion from Bath and Body works (vanilla scent), fleece throws/blankets, potpourri, and sweaters.

Housecoat, Pj's, perfume, does she like to bake/cook? Bake pans, pot holders, storage containers, gift card for take-out (pizza, chinese,) Grocery store Giftcard, Drug store gift card (perscriptions), Photo Albulm filled with family photos, ...My grandma was always cold, so we always got her a fleece housecoat type thing. She liked the kind that zipped or buttoned. She would wear it almost everyday, and wear it out, so we got her a new one every year.

Thanks for the ideas. She already has about 4 birdhouses, even one we found inthe garage not put up. Has plenty of cooking things. Was thinking about the blanket/throw with all the kids and grandkids names on it, now looking for it in time.

Something I am making for my MIL is a "Winter Survival Kit" I am putting in some flavored hot chocolates, some candy, microwavable Dinty Moore Stew, micro popcorn. Oh yeah and a new puzzle/word search book. She isn't into tech so I won't get a DVD, but basically it is all consumable so it isn't more "stuff" that she doesn't want or need. And it is all usable. For her that is the key. Good luck coming up with something.

My mother-in-law has arthritis so we're getting her one of those jar openers. :2bottle:

I got one of these for my mother last year and she loves it. It is very easy to use and a great gift for anyone. I would buy myself one but I already have a jar opener, my DH. lol.:)

ok dont laugh .. but my enlaws are in there 80s.. and they love food.. go figure and she is a x rocket.. anyway, we get her and the neighbor as they are a team i get them the omaha steaks.. i wrap the boxes up and freeze it till they come.. they love it.. i buy the big bundle it comes with 4 of everything for 59.00.. they cook it and love it

My grandmother is 93 (almost 94) and needs/wants nothing. So I made her a calender at shutterfly.com with everyone's birthdays on it and pictures of us all for each of the months...it's not done yet, but she knows about it and is all excited since it will help her remember dates for things and have pictures for her to look at of all of us :)

My grandmother is 93 (almost 94) and needs/wants nothing. So I made her a calender at shutterfly.com with everyone's birthdays on it and pictures of us all for each of the months...it's not done yet, but she knows about it and is all excited since it will help her remember dates for things and have pictures for her to look at of all of us :)

Great Idea!:tongue1:

when my great gran was alive, she lived to be 99, she would love getting all the different colored plastic bags from the stores... she would cut the bags down into strips and and then she ctroheted (sp) Babies for all the grankids out of them. Does she have a craft like this that she needs supplies for?

Stamps (they are expensive!), card collection. (birthdays, sympthoy, thank you, sympthony ect).

Tickets for music theater/opera ect whatever their might be? Gift certificate for the meals you make ahead and freeze...(can't think of the name).

If she is local, gift certificates for time (to help with yard work, heavy cleaning, a special project ect).

My brother bought my g-ma a tape recorder and ask her to tell stories from her childhood and growing up, marriage ect. Then he transcribed them and put them in a nices collection and the next year everyone, including her, recieved one.

For the future.. we ask that everyone in the family make ONE scrapbook page. The only requirement was the size and post type of the page (so it would fit in the scrapbook) AND each picture had to have the person's name and age or a date. Then we all gave them to my mother at christmas.. she LOVED that.. it is now tradition and the pages are as different as the families and sooo fun!

Great idea on the scrapbook page. I wish my family or my husband's would cooperate on something like that but they won't. We're trying to get family pix to make a calendar for her

from an idea someone posted. Ya'll are so much more help than my husband. Remind me why I married him??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Great idea on the scrapbook page. I wish my family or my husband's would cooperate on something like that but they won't. We're trying to get family pix to make a calendar for her

from an idea someone posted. Ya'll are so much more help than my husband. Remind me why I married him??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

yay, that was me! :D

WE actually make a basket for my grandma, put everyday items in it: shampoo, soap, lotion, deoderant. Then we make her another one with food: dried beans, soups, and other non perishables. She loves this and it isn't another nicknack to clutter up her house.

I have also found that my grandmother really appreciates personalized items, such as the calendar listed above. Good luck!