(DEAD) Target - Wii Essential Starter Kit, $29 (reg $49)

smallwood

Stopped in my local Target this morning - found they had the Wii Essential Starter Kit on sale through Saturday for $29, regularly $49.

I think it's a good buy - here's what's included;

Component Cable

2 Rechargeable Battery Packs

Soft-Sided Sports Kit which includes;

Baseball Bat

Tennis Racket

Golf Club

Racing WheelWireless Sensor Bar

Straps & Skins

Box claims 5 year warranty.

The component cable and battery packs/charger are worth the $29 in itself.

The sensor bar that comes with the Wii is wired - it plugs into the back. It basically has two InfraRed emitters, that are used by some of the handheld Wii controls for calibration (determining x & y axis) - example is Link's crossbow. You're stuck playing within about 9 feet of your Wii with the wired sensor bar.

The wireless sensor bar uses batteries, thus it can be placed wherever it's more convenient for you. So you're not limited to playing within 9' of your Wii.

The sensor bar is a transmitter - it sends nothing back to the Wii.

Hope that help!

O.k I got my kids a wii for xmas... can anyone tell me about the battery chargers??? I was going to buy that docking station to recharge, but do theses just plug in to the wii and the wall???? If so, it looks like I will be taking back the sports pack and wheel I got at CC:-) Thanks..

It appears that the rechargable battery packs may have to be removed from the wii-mote to charge and conbnect to the Wii USB port. I had heard that this is not as desirable as plugging a charger into a wall and takes longer - plus it's a little messier than a tabletop charging stand. Doesn't the Wii console come with cable connections - why is the component cable needed?

Do the sports accessories even work? I had read a few bad reviews. The wireless sensor bar sounds good - I'm just not sure that this stuff is the best route to go.

O.k I got my kids a wii for xmas... can anyone tell me about the battery chargers??? I was going to buy that docking station to recharge, but do theses just plug in to the wii and the wall???? If so, it looks like I will be taking back the sports pack and wheel I got at CC:-) Thanks..

This kit has the basic charger, can charge two packs at once, plugs into the port on the Wii. Not the fancy "upright docking station", but most of us don't need fancy : D

It appears that the rechargable battery packs may have to be removed from the wii-mote to charge and conbnect to the Wii USB port. I had heard that this is not as desirable as plugging a charger into a wall and takes longer - plus it's a little messier than a tabletop charging stand. Doesn't the Wii console come with cable connections - why is the component cable needed?

Do the sports accessories even work? I had read a few bad reviews. The wireless sensor bar sounds good - I'm just not sure that this stuff is the best route to go.

The component cable is for "high def". Yes, the Wii comes with the standard connection cable. If you have a basic TV, it's fine. If you have a HDTV, you'll want the component cable for a much, much better picture (after all, that's the whole purpose of an HDTV, isn't it? :D )

The sports accessories just "snap over" your Wii remote, to give it a more realistic "feel" of a baseball bat, tennis racquet, etc. For driving games, the wheel is almost a necessity. Since they're just fancy handles for your control, I'm not sure how these sports accessories CAN'T work....

Thanks, Smallwood. I bought one. It appears that the batteries do not plug into a wall socket but into the Wii console via USB. The USB plug has two jacks on the other end to charge two wii-motes at the same time. However, the wireless sensor bar must also use the same charging plug, when needing to be charged. Still a good deal.

Thanks, Smallwood. I bought one. It appears that the batteries do not plug into a wall socket but into the Wii console via USB. The USB plug has two jacks on the other end to charge two wii-motes at the same time. However, the wireless sensor bar must also use the same charging plug, when needing to be charged. Still a good deal.

(&*$#@* forum!!! :mad:) You are absolutely correct - in fact, I caught my mistake right after I made the subsequent post, and tried to edit it, and then there were some site errors. I thought the edit was saved, but it obviously didn't. My apologies. It's been corrected now.

They were out at my Target, but the clerk gave me a raincheck to get one for $24.99. Now I have to hope that they will get more by Christmas.

Our's was also sold out and I asked about a raincheck and I was told that they don't do them.

I just called my store and asked the front desk and I should have been given a raincheck because they do for items that are on sale. I am so glad that I read this just now or we would have missed out on that price.