Shoppers BEWARE!!!

Guest JustMeDiana

Guest JustMeDiana

Borrowed from another site, but worth sharing. Watch your bank accounts.

So, several days ago I placed a big order from Toys R Us. I first became a little angry because there is a huge banner at the top of their page that says "Free shipping on overs over $49" Ok, great....free shipping is awsome. And I spent WAY WAY WAY over $49. When the order was complete I noticed that shipping was NOT free.....and on further inquery I saw that the free shipping was only on selected items.....none of which I had ordered. Ok, fine.....I'd gone through all that trouble to pick that crap out....I'll pay the darn shipping.....which by the way turned out to be in the area of $100.

Today, I'm checking out my bank account online. There's the charge for the stuff I ordered.....and also a second charge for over $200, which was less than my total order ammount. I called Toys R Us and here's what I was told:

For online orders, the immediately place a hold on your account for the total order ammount. Then, as the order ships they charge a second time and remove the hold. Removing the hold takes about 3 business days. So, effectively, to order from Toys R Us.com you need to have in your account twice the ammount you are spending available. If you spend $500, you'd better have $1000 in the account.

Huh? I've never had that experience with ordering on TRU's web site. I'm not saying it didn't happen to this person. But I've ordered many times and I'd think after being on this board for awhile, you'd hear others b*tching about it as well?!

In fact, I placed an order a week ago and just checked ALL activity on our CC. It shows everything, even pending charges - when they show up, the date they turn into real charges (or the date they are dropped!), etc. My order from TRU shows one charge, not even an inquiry for $1 or similar small amt to make sure my CC had something on it.

Maybe this experience only applies to much larger orders?? I've placed $300 orders on their site though and never remember that happening though either. So weird!!

(And the first paragraph about the free ship rant is BS. I only say that because TRU makes it pretty obvious, if you pay any attention, that it's on select items only. I paid good attention when using up my kids gift cards, as I wasn't about to pay the outrageous shipping fees TRU charges, lol)

that's weird... I just checked my acct. A few days ago it had showed that it charged me for the Zunes I ordered plus the $1 pending, now both those charges are gone and the money was credited back to my account... I sure hope they don't cancel my order, I just checked it before I checked my bank account and it still said processing. *biting nails* really really hoping that they re-charge my acct. like stated above and finally get it shipped to me, it's been 6 days. :(

WHEW! I've been sweating bullets and just got the email that my items have shipped :D They haven't re-charged my card yet, but I was so worried b/c of this thread.

ddfoster1959 I wonder if that was a rare case? Still very weird, but it looks like it's going to work out for me. :)