Gift for MIL - stoneware stuff??

alimfp

MIL works at a landscape/nursery place. So she gets LOTS of plants, planters, etc. for cheap or free. Her backyard is like a jungle of beautiful plants.

So with that said, I was thinking of getting her a bird feeder or something similar for her backyard/porch?

But then I know she wants a nice gravy boat..

She loves stoneware stuff and in a specific blue color, like this: http://www.lillianvernon.com/catalog/product_display.jsp?pdId=566&parentCatId=5&catId=284 but even a tad bit darker (just the blue color).

So I am trying to find something stoneware that is blue in color like that. Or a gravy boat that is stoneware and close in color to that blue (she likes the blue/purple-ish color).

Any suggestions? I've been Googling "stoneware" and similar but not finding anything remotely close. I am debating on getting that bird feeder at Lillian Vernon, but I still want to get her something else. This is for Christmas, and her son (my DH) is of course NO HELP AT ALL. :rolleyes:

(They are also getting their bathroom gutted and re-done. They have new fixtures, but I was thinking about getting stoneware toothbrush holder and such.. ?? maybe.. I don't know!)

They don't have what I'm looking for. :( I've been Googling this to death and nadda so far.. I came close on eBay. I posted a want it now on eBay and then a thread on the Etsy.com promo boards asking if anyone would make one.

I also emailed this pottery shop on the coast that MIL and I visited, hoping the owner knows of an artist that can make one.

This is a long shot, but I could do it. If you have a local ceramic shop where you can buy greenware, glazes etc. Check them out, a greenware gravy boat should be easy to find. Then you can look at their glaze sample squares & put anything you want on it if she likes the solid colors. Couple coats of the color glaze, let them fire it for you, a couple coats of good clear glaze, fire it again, done....... I made all my own canisters, & storage jars for countertop like this. One warning though make sure it is done correctly with food safe glazes & covered correctly since it willl have food in it as dishes like this not made properly can leech lead back out. The ceramic shops here where I live, you can do the work right there & they will teach you if you have not done this before as long as you buy your products from them. One solid color, you could make this in probably a hour tops of your actual time.