What time do you Put the Turkey in?

genoandkiddo

This is another reason I love deep fried turkey! My hubby worries about the timing, and it only takes about 45 minutes to cook!:D

Deep fried turkeys taste great but there is still nothing like a juicy traditional oven turkey! We aren't eating until 5-6pm so I put my turkey in around 1pm but its only about 12.5 lbs. So it only takes about 4-4.5hrs to cook. I do mine later because I have found that if you baste the turkey every half hour in the beginning and every 15min within the last hr the turkey comes out nice and moist! No complaints yet. :)

My Aunt is also making a turkey but last year she made one, I think her first one and put it in upside down on the "popper" so she didn't know if it was done or not! When I got there she thought it was done and shut it off and most people had to wait another hr or two before it was actually done! :eek:

Deep fried turkeys taste great but there is still nothing like a juicy traditional oven turkey!

That we will have to agree to disagree about! In all my years, with all the varieties, excellent cooks (myself included :D), marinades, brines and basting techniques, I've never tasted a memorable oven roasted turkey. They've been good, but nothing to look forward to.