HOT! Kingston 2GB 667MHz 200-pin SODIMM DDR2 Laptop Memory only $44.95 - Buy.com

Scott

This is an unbelievable price on a great laptop upgrade!

Buy.com has Kingston 2GB ( 2 x 1GB ) PC2 5300 667MHz 200-pin SODIMM DDR2 Laptop Memory for only $44.95 with free shipping!

I'm pretty sure that I will have to grab a set of these for my wifes laptop.

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/prod_lrg_images/017/204884017.jpg

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=204884017

Is there a quick way to tell whether that will fit in my laptop? Someplace I can just click? I have replaced desktop memory but haven't a clue how to do it on a laptop. I have a Compaq (HP) AMD Sempron 3300 with 512 megs of RAM...

Is there a quick way to tell whether that will fit in my laptop? Someplace I can just click? I have replaced desktop memory but haven't a clue how to do it on a laptop. I have a Compaq (HP) AMD Sempron 3300 with 512 megs of RAM...

My initial guess is that unit uses DDR memory and not DDR2. Do you have the model number handy?

Is this memory compatible with the Dell Vostro 1000 currently on sale for $399?

Yes, I believe that it should be. Excellent question though. I think that particular unit uses 533 MHz memory, so the faster 667MHz should be backwards compatible.

OK, the HP site is VERY hard to navigate but I think you're right and I have DDR, not DDR2. Site says:

HP Notebooks require the following types of memory.

SO DIMM

The physical size of the memory stick is designed to fit inside a notebook.

DDR SDRAM

The memory technology

PCx-xxxx-xxx

The memory speed. The speed varies by computer model. (PC2600S 333, PC2700S 644)

So that means this deal is NG for me. Sigh.

OK, the HP site is VERY hard to navigate but I think you're right and I have DDR, not DDR2. Site says:

HP Notebooks require the following types of memory.

SO DIMM

The physical size of the memory stick is designed to fit inside a notebook.

DDR SDRAM

The memory technology

PCx-xxxx-xxx

The memory speed. The speed varies by computer model. (PC2600S 333, PC2700S 644)

So that means this deal is NG for me. Sigh.

Yes... those numbers indicate DDR memory and not DDR2. Sorry. :(

I am also curious to know if this memory is compatible with the Dell available online. I was considering purchasing that computer and would like to know if this memory would work before buying. If anyone could let me know I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

I am also curious to know if this memory is compatible with the Dell available online. I was considering purchasing that computer and would like to know if this memory would work before buying. If anyone could let me know I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

So you don't think that Dell will build their laptops so you are forced to use their own memory? Sorry I do not know much about computers and thought that it might be the case. Thank you again.

No they do not.

I have two different Dell laptops and I have upgraded the memory in both of them, and the internal wireless card in another.