Looking for a Full HDTV any advice?

hailiesdaddy200

I'm getting a ps3 this black friday... and i want a full 1080p hdtv... i was eyeing the 37" dynex hdtv best buy is having... i have a credit card for 1000 also... plus 200 more... so ill have about 750 to spend on a tv... but then i found out that the 37" is only 720P... however the 32" dynex is on sale also... and all is says is hd... does that mean its full HD and it does 1080p also? i couldnt find this on the BB site... any suggestions on a good FUll HDTV this year? i want a bigger one... the smallest i'd like is 32"... thanks for whoever helps me out

HDTV resolutions

Resolution, or picture detail, is the main reason why HDTV programs look so good. The standard-definition programming most of us watch today has at most 480 visible lines of detail, whereas HDTV has as many as 1,080. HDTV looks sharper and clearer than regular TV by a wide margin, especially on big-screen televisions. It actually comes in two different resolutions, called 1080i and 720p. One is not necessarily better than the other; 1080i has more lines and pixels, but 720p is a progressive-scan format that should deliver a smoother image that stays sharper during motion. Another format is also becoming better known: 1080p, which combines the superior resolution of 1080i with the progressive-scan smoothness of 720p. True 1080p content is scarce outside of Blu-ray, HD DVD and the latest video games, however, and none of the major networks has announced 1080p broadcasts.

I got this from BestBuy.com. If you're looking for the best, that means you'll have to spend more than you'd like. I read the comments of the Dynex and Insignia HDTV's and most people agreed that is a "You get what you pay for" product. You can still get a 32'' Westinghouse for $699 or a 37'' Insignia or Dynex for $750, both 720p.

okay... you get what you pay for? what would be a good choice in my price range? insignia or dynex? westinghouse? i just figured the bigger the better?... but with the 32" dynex thats going to be on sale it doesnt say 720P or nothing... the 37" specifically says 720P in the listings.. what does that mean? that the 37" just does that and the 32" does the rest or what? thanks for the help

One thing to remember when looking for a new TV this year.. For 1080p resolutions, most sources will tell you that unless your screen is 50" or above even the most discerning eyes will probably not be able to tell the difference between the lower resolutions (720p/1080i). Obviously the choice is yours and I don't want to sway you one way or the other, just wanted to make sure that you knew that 1080p is nice but with a 32 or 37 inch screen you probably won't be able to tell the difference.

Lastly, I would highly recommend you go to sites like CNET, best buy or amazon to read the user reviews for the TV's you are searching for. Let me know if you have any questions and good luck!

Go to www.avsforum.com and read up on HDTV info. Yes you get what you pay for. I just bought the Sony 40" LCD HDTV 1080p. I went to this sight afterwards to learn more and understand things. They recommend that a smaller screen good name brand is better than a cheap big screen knock off. It's not about the size of the screen, you have to look at the specs. The plasmas are lower in price b/c of the many problems w/them such as screen burn on, glare and the idea that they don't last long. We hooked the tv into just a regular antenna. This tv has a built in ATSC digital tuner so it picks up the HD broadcast of my local channels. Most are in 1080i and one is 720p. This is a few things that I have learned.

To get actual HD tv:

1. HDTV set

2. HDTV source/service (HD cable, HD satellite or HD antenna)

3. Upgrade your DVD player (reg. VCR won't look good unless it's a newer progressive scan type. If not pro. scan then buy an HD upconverting DVD player and buy an HDMI cable. It transforms reg. DVD into a HD signal for a better picture.)

If program is not HD then it's not HD on the tv.

Use component cables or HDMI NOT composite.

If DVD player, cable box, game console, ect. has an HDMI output use that instead of the yellow composite cable.

If HDMI is not aval. on your unit then check to see if it has component output on it (green,blue & red plugs) and use those.

S video (yellow) & composite cables are not HD connections and equal bad picture.

Hope this helps. Do some research and it will make things about as clear as mud, lol. I'm still confused on a lot of things but understand a lil more than I did before.

Also wanted to add that having a big screen doesn't mean the picture will be that big. A lot of the HD shows on my 40" don't even take up the entire screen. The black bars are on each side. They say not to try to make the picture cover the whole screen b/c then it is distorted and not clear. Like blowing up a 4x6 picture to an 8x10, the quaility isn't as good. So having the big screen doesn't always equal a picture that size.

okay... you get what you pay for? what would be a good choice in my price range? insignia or dynex? westinghouse? i just figured the bigger the better?... but with the 32" dynex thats going to be on sale it doesnt say 720P or nothing... the 37" specifically says 720P in the listings.. what does that mean? that the 37" just does that and the 32" does the rest or what? thanks for the help

You get what you pay for means that whoever spends the most, gets the best.

I think that in order to make a good choice you should take a look on the user's reviews. Some of them are happy with what they pay for, some other aren't, but this happens with almost every product, you can't keep everybody happy LOL. Anyway, maybe if you get the model number, you could check the specs of the TV on the internet or BB web site.

Sorry, I couldn't find anything on this TV in a quick search either. I recommend you go to cnet.com and do a search of tv reviews. You can set up your search any way you'd like.. by size, manufacturer, editors review, etc. What I think this will help you do is at the very least see all the different options and price levels available to you. If you would like my unsolicited advice, if you are looking for a cheaper plasma TV I would recommend the Panasonic line of TV's. For the price they are a pretty good buy. If you have any more questions please let us know.

HDTV resolutions

Resolution, or picture detail, is the main reason why HDTV programs look so good. The standard-definition programming most of us watch today has at most 480 visible lines of detail, whereas HDTV has as many as 1,080. HDTV looks sharper and clearer than regular TV by a wide margin, especially on big-screen televisions. It actually comes in two different resolutions, called 1080i and 720p. One is not necessarily better than the other; 1080i has more lines and pixels, but 720p is a progressive-scan format that should deliver a smoother image that stays sharper during motion. Another format is also becoming better known: 1080p, which combines the superior resolution of 1080i with the progressive-scan smoothness of 720p. True 1080p content is scarce outside of Blu-ray, HD DVD and the latest video games, however, and none of the major networks has announced 1080p broadcasts.

I got this from BestBuy.com. If you're looking for the best, that means you'll have to spend more than you'd like. I read the comments of the Dynex and Insignia HDTV's and most people agreed that is a "You get what you pay for" product. You can still get a 32'' Westinghouse for $699 or a 37'' Insignia or Dynex for $750, both 720p.

Insignia or Dynex ...I like the pic on Insignia.....BUT I WOULD STAY AWAY FROM THE DYNEX...PIC LOOKS BAD AND NEWER AND LESSER QUALITY OF BB brand....INSIGNIA..brand tv has been at bb longer.....anyway... does anyone else know who makes the set for bb....and chime in with more info...good luck everyone

UPDATE SOMETHING I FOUND ON THE WEB..

Who makes Insignia TV at bestbuy?

Insignia is a brand made & sold exclusively by Best Buy Stores. It's like their "in-house" brand. Same as if you bought Meijer brand ice cream... it's their "in-house" brand.

A lot of companies throw surplus parts that are sold to budget manufacturers who assemble and distribute the finished products at a low price.

Depending on which model Insignia you have your eye on, the manufacturer could be up 7 different companies. Xoceco Co. distributes them to Best Buy (they're an importer, but not a middle man because they're regulated by Best Buy Inc.)

A majority of the parts are from LG (and they also produce all the ATSC tuners for every HDTV built-in TV on the market and a plethora of other TV's), Philips-- which also has ties with LG-- and Toshiba has a share in creating the TV's as well.

AND SOME SAY PANEL is by SHARP

The same goes with brands like Vizio, Olevia and Westinghouse. Although I would choose an Insignia over any of these brands anyway because Insignia is a proprietary Brand name for Best Buy, and Best Buy supports and services all their products. Some of those brands are built from refurbished models that were bought in bulk from service centers, clearance centers, TV repair shops and are also made from surplus parts.

Insignia is a good TV, but I would not recommend using it as a main TV. It'd be perfect for a bedroom or a kid's room.

I hope this helps!

Source(s):

Home Theater Design Consultant and Sales Professional.