What to get someone who has it all?

likewhoa

Have you looked at some of the personalized items at Lillian Vernon? They have this big metal tub like thing with a stand...I'll find a link.

http://www.lillianvernon.com/catalog/product_display.jsp?pdId=289&name=Galvanized%20Tin%20Tub%20and%20Stand

Here is a link to all of their personalized items.

http://www.lillianvernon.com/catalog/category.jsp?parentCatId=1029

Good luck with it all. I don't envy you. I have a stepmom and dad who have everything they could want--and buy things on a different level than we do--if you know what I mean. I have just gone to homemade things or food. Last year, I embroidered (very easy with stamped on patterns) a set of pillow cases for her, and gave my dad a huge tin of shortbread cookies from Costco. Another year, I did a photo album that I did an applique thing on the cover. This year, I'm stumped so far... It's really hard--especially when they might be the sort to comment on what you get...

I definitely know what you mean. They'd be polite but I rarely find them using anything we ever get them. I got a really cute frame and put a photo of us in it for her for mothers day and our picture is buried allllll the way in the back behind others.

GPS navigation unit? They're really low priced this year (over last year):

http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=87388

Her brand spanking new car -- which cost more then half of what my hubby made last year! -- has one. Though I've never seen her use it. Thanks for the idea, though.

go to youtube. they have several knitting instructional videos - i was using it figure out some crochet stuff and a cross stitch stitch i couldn't figure out. type in "learn to knit" or something along those lines.

I will definitely check that out! I never even thought to check there, I guess you can find anything online these days.

Have you looked at some of the personalized items at Lillian Vernon? They have this big metal tub like thing with a stand...I'll find a link.

http://www.lillianvernon.com/catalog/product_display.jsp?pdId=289&name=Galvanized%20Tin%20Tub%20and%20Stand

Here is a link to all of their personalized items.

http://www.lillianvernon.com/catalog/category.jsp?parentCatId=1029

That metal tub is cute! And would look great on their front porch, actually. Kinda pricey but always a thought.

INSIGNIA™ 5.1-Channel Standard-Definition DVD Home Theater System

is the one in my BB ad for 69. Hubby says it is very basic but it would sound better then just tv speakers.

Hmm. Well, better then basic tv speakers is a plus I guess. I wasn't expecting anything earth shattering for that price really. Guess I'll check out the BF ones and read some reviews on them. Thanks for asking!

I was in Target yesterday and they had some really cute liquor dispensers. Globes, gas pumps etc. That might be a good FIL gift.

You can go to Target.com and search "liquor" to see them (I tried to link it for you but I'm not allowed yet :rolleyes: )

As for the MIL, what about some wine glasses and wine? Maybe even arrange in a nice basket or hatbox?

Or even one of the Target dispensers and then a gift certificate to a good wine/liquor store. Sure, it sort of implies you think they're a little alcoholic, but oh well... at least you know they'll use it. You could even make that a couple gift - whenever I am buying for a couple and one of them is the hard-to-buy-for type, I just buy something for the other person and put both their names on it. Maybe then she'll get the message that you had no idea what to buy for her and start making more of an effort to help you get to know her better.

I've been married into one of those strange families for a while, so I gave up trying to please them all a long time ago. As long as you can keep at least one of your in-laws in your good graces you're doing better than some people ;)

A really cool gift for the people who have it all is a roll of 100 stamps, envelopes, maybe a nice pad of paper, and a packeage of ink pens. People always use this stuff...especially older people who fret at the thought of paying 41 cents a stamp. Good luck!

We have a huge family between my husband and I, and things get tight quick. We like to make the holidays gift wise, more about our child(ren), as far as family gatherings, we like to make it about family... Bring a hot dish (we bring baked ziti) and a dessert (I make a huge turkey platter of cookies) and make it about the gathering and make some memories.

When I was married we had this same problem with my in laws. We would end up getting them a gift certificate to their favorite grocery store. I mean everyone has to buy groceries right?

I'm in this same boat with my step-dad. If he wants something, he just goes out and buys it. He retired last year and he told me that he found himself going to the movie all by himself the other day. So this year he's getting gift certificates to the local movie theatre.

When I was married we had this same problem with my in laws. We would end up getting them a gift certificate to their favorite grocery store. I mean everyone has to buy groceries right?

I'm in this same boat with my step-dad. If he wants something, he just goes out and buys it. He retired last year and he told me that he found himself going to the movie all by himself the other day. So this year he's getting gift certificates to the local movie theatre.

Maybe you should give him gc for 2 and he could take a friend along. I hate to go to the show by myself and have no one to discuss the movie with afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...