Intel Celeron Processor 420 Computer

lupajunie

Hey I was just wondering how fast that $200 computer is... I see that it says processor 420 and I've noticed in the past the number after a processor on celerons is the processing speed, so if it's processor 365 then it's 3.6ghz. So does that mean this one will be a 4.2?? That seems ultra fast, but of course I know it's a celeron. Help in clarifying this would be greatly appreciated.

Yes it is 1.6ghz. the problem is that intel has too many people thinking that ghz is everything. This 1.6 is on equal footing as an old 3.0 ghz Pentium 4, but it is super slow compared to the much newer X2 series dual core AMD's or the core 2's from Intel. It is about the same as a 365 that you listed earlier, about. It is still too slow for Vista.

"Too slow" depends on what you're aiming to use the machine for. For example, I got the $125 eMachine tower WalMart had last year and with a decent video card (nVidia 7300 GS) tossed in it can run a fairly robust game like Medieval 2: Total War at low to medium settings.

Is that great? No. But, let's face facts. Hardcore gamers aren't looking at any of the BF computers... well, perhaps a few of the ones that CC has.

I'd definitely wait and see where the prices settle before getting married to one idea. BB and Wally priced each other down on PCs and laptops pretty aggressively the last few years.

Also, the BB machine probably isn't a deal unless you don't already have a monitor sitting around. For me it would just be another 17" monitor to get rid of. Of course, you could always sell the monitor or give it to someone else.

I want to clear some confusion about the cpu, the 420 celly is a single core duo processer, at 1.6 ghz it does more work per clock cycle then a p4.

It's faster then a 3.2 ghz p4, I wish they would do away with the celoron name, it gives it a poor rep. With the proper ram it will run vista fine for everyday apps. Hope this helps.

I want to clear some confusion about the cpu, the 420 celly is a single core duo processer, at 1.6 ghz it does more work per clock cycle then a p4.

It's faster then a 3.2 ghz p4, I wish they would do away with the celoron name, it gives it a poor rep. With the proper ram it will run vista fine for everyday apps. Hope this helps.

Really? You mean core solo processor? haha man I'm so confused, but ok aslong as it's not REALLY 1.6ghz because that is just ancient... like I said last year's emachine was 3.33ghz celeron. Can anyone else verify that it's really a 1.6ghz core solo processor? 'cause that makes a huge difference.

It is 1.6 ghz celeron based on the "core" technology. equal to a 3.0 or 3.2 ghz Pentium 4. With 3.0 ghz dual cores of the new variety and this being a 1.6ghz single core, it is the slowest thing you will find being sold as "new" anywhere. It really is 1.6ghz, just it has much better instructions, layout, etc than the old p4.s See my prior post. It does run at only 1.6ghz. I just happens to work just as well as a intel pentium 4 at 3.0 to 3.2 ghz. Dont let the ghz fool you. Look at more than that. That said, a Amd X2 at 3.0 ghz dual core is going to make it look like a calculator, same with the Core Duo's.

It is 1.6 ghz celeron based on the "core" technology. equal to a 3.0 or 3.2 ghz Pentium 4. With 3.0 ghz dual cores of the new variety and this being a 1.6ghz single core, it is the slowest thing you will find being sold as "new" anywhere. It really is 1.6ghz, just it has much better instructions, layout, etc than the old p4.s See my prior post. It does run at only 1.6ghz. I just happens to work just as well as a intel pentium 4 at 3.0 to 3.2 ghz. Dont let the ghz fool you. Look at more than that. That said, a Amd X2 at 3.0 ghz dual core is going to make it look like a calculator, same with the Core Duo's.

Thanks for putting it in layman's terms for folks. The the "core solo" based celly 420 is equal to a p4 in the 3.2 ghz range. It still ok for vista and basic word processing, email and web surfing, I'm going to try to get this deal for my mother, this will be perfect for her.