Teacher holiday gift

ajdana726

My daughter has not one, but TWO male teachers this year. One is her regular class and the other is her gifted teacher. I have NO idea what to get as this is a first for us!!

When my sons have male teachers, I either do a movie theme, a basket or bucket with microwave popcorn, movie theater candy, maybe a cheap throw, and a gift card to Movie Gallery. Either that or I've also done a stick of summer sausage with a box of crackers and some cheese. They've seemed to like both.

Since teachers spend so much out of pocket each year we give a Target gift card and basket filled with school supplies, markers, crayons, pencils, stickers, etc. These we buy at Target when they go 50-75% off. This way it is for the classroom and you can put teacher & aides names on the tag.

When I taught preschool, my favorite gift was a handwritten recipe card with a favorite family recipe on it. It was with a mini muffin pan and a bag of small peanut butter cups that went in the recipe. It was great. I still use that recipe and pan after 15 years. How about a pasta recipe, box of noodles, and a strainer? New cookie sheet with a bag of chocolate chips and recipe?

Movie gift cards were nice also.

Ornaments are nice, I have two trees filled with these after 10 years. Coffee or Hot cocoa without the mug is nice. I have a cupboard full of mugs. I don't teach anymore and now try to make sure I give different gifts. Class supplies were always nuber one. Nice pads of paper to write notes home, another favorite.

what do you get for a teacher when she is a nun? My son's teacher is a nun and I wondered what would be approriate for her. I want to make sure it is something that she is able to use and don't know about gift cards. thanks

I went to Catholic grammer, middle and high school and had nuns for teachers. They will love anything. They are allowed gift cards and they can keep them to buy themselves whatever they want.

When I was in the 9th grade I had to do summer school. The convent was on the same property as the school. We went over there one day for lunch. My teacher opened up the fridge and I almost died. There was beer in the fridge! :eek::lmao:

We actually do this for a lot of people in our life ----

I always take my kids to pick names off of the *Angel Tree* somewhere. They choose children who are close in age to them and/or have requests simular to what they want. We then shop for the gifts, wrap and take care of getting it to the organization. I always stock up at the after Christmas sales on ornaments, normally angels, and the kids then sit down and write a note to the person they have done this in honor of to let them know. Everyone has always loved it. My son had a wonderful fourth grade teacher and she actually broke down crying when she read his card. The poor guy actually thought she didn't like it and was upset with him. She let him know very quickly that it was one of the best gifts she had gotten. We started this many years ago with my grandmother, because she was tired of the clutter and people feeling they *had* to buy her something. It just kind of evolved from there to include coaches, church friends and teachers.

My kids get an opportunity to give to others, really think and put effort into a charitable donation, but they also see that doing things for others can be a wonderful gift for more than just that person. We normally do a gift card at the end of the year or Teacher Appreciation Week.

PerkynPunctual that is a wonderful idea and I think I will start that.

Another gift idea that I have done is the elementary school has there book sale in November and some teachers put out a wish list of books they would like to get for the class and I have bought a few and added other supplies to it such as stickers, pads, etc.

Contact your local Borders Bookstore. The store in my area is going to have a gift wrap area that they are staffing with individuals and groups. The proceeds will go to your school. You can gather some other Moms and Dads and wrap gifts and fundraise for your school in your Teacher(s) honor as their gift.

Also check out www.seva.org

http://www.seva.org/site/PageServer

You can give a "Gift of Service" for $30 you can help fund "Enrichment activities for a Native American Youth" or $25 to provide "Eye care for one Girl or Women" in developing countries. The gift recipient dosen't know the amount you've spent and you can make it a group gift to all of your childrens teachers. (Either request more gift cards or copy them yourself)

Another favorite of mine is "The Womens Bean Project"

http://www.womensbeanproject.com/

"Since 1989 we have been helping women break the cycle of poverty and unemployment"

They sell bean soup mixes, cornbread mix, salsa and dip seasoning mixes, and many other items. Their bean soup mixes are $5.25 and $5.75 Their spice rubs are $3.00

And when we were kids my Mom would bring us to the local grocery store that sold flowers and we would get our teachers a bouquet of 2 or 3 red Carnations and we would make a card. Our teachers always LOVED them. Just picture your child walking in to class with flowers and a homemade card for their teacher. :)

As an educator, I am awed by reading all the thought that goes into these gifts. To save some people money, I can tell you that my favorite gifts that I have kept forever are the cards that kids have made for me. These are especially nice if the students draw a picture of what their favorite activity in class is.

This isn't to say I don't appreciate gift cards that I have received, but I keep the cards.

:)

As an educator...I can tell you that my favorite gifts that I have kept forever are the cards that kids have made for me. These are especially nice if the students draw a picture of what their favorite activity in class is.

This isn't to say I don't appreciate gift cards that I have received, but I keep the cards.

As a former teacher I can second this, I still have some of the cards my students wrote me and it has been 20+ years since I was in the classroom.

I love PerkynPunctual's idea of giving an Angel Tree gift in the teachers honor. I think we will do something similar for my 4th and 8th graders teachers this year. Thanks for the idea.

As an educator, I am awed by reading all the thought that goes into these gifts. To save some people money, I can tell you that my favorite gifts that I have kept forever are the cards that kids have made for me. These are especially nice if the students draw a picture of what their favorite activity in class is.

Thank you for posting this. My DD is in Kindergarten this year and has two teachers and I've felt overwhelmed by the thought of teacher gifts. I plan on having her make special cards for them and I'm happy to know that they will probably be appreciated by her teachers.

With me it always depends on the teachers. Two years ago I monogramed a set of towels for my DD's teacher, (she was by far our favorite teacher ever) Last year I just did gift bags with a throw, bath and body gift set( small size from Walmart bought on clearance after Christmas the year before), and a card. One year I embroidered a sampler for all the teachers including speach, pe, music, art, librarian, nurse, etc and put them in cheap frames from walmart. ( I have an embroidery machine so it does all the work except changing thread and trimming) It al depends on the year, how much time I have and how much we really like the teachers. This year I may do a small gift card and bathset since I am limited in time.

I ordered my son's teacher a personalized mousepad from Doughgirls. I found this on a deals thread. It is a cartoon like picture of a teacher at her desk with kids beside her and we had our school name , the teachers name, and a personal message printed on it. It was around $7 shipped. My daughter is a teacher and she thought it would be great to get.

Guys like Cookies or a pumpkin roll.

Or a GC from some place local to the school?

When my sons have male teachers, I either do a movie theme, a basket or bucket with microwave popcorn, movie theater candy, maybe a cheap throw, and a gift card to Movie Gallery. Either that or I've also done a stick of summer sausage with a box of crackers and some cheese. They've seemed to like both.

Great ideas! Thanks so much.

I commented in another thread like this... I'll 2nd/3rd the suggestions for classroom supplies, antibacterials and gift cards; consumable items that I can use in my classroom this year. I feel bad about all the mugs, frames, scarves and pins (sitting in a box in my basement) that I have received over the years... I can't possibly use them all.

Just one comment about the mousepads... if they have an optical mouse (like I do), it may not work all that well for them.

My girls' classroom teachers (1-2 each) always receive festive disposable paper plates (two sizes plus matching napkins) and a gift card for take-out (often pizza) + the restaurant's menu.

During the busy holiday season, who wouldn't appreciate ordering by phone, having it delivered AND having no dishes to wash afterward? :)

For my sons teacher last year we got her a nice candy dish with candy and a personalized ornament. this year we are going to do the personalized ornament with someone else. not sure what yet though because he already gave her candles for her birthday in september and shes not a big candy eater.

Last year I gave the teachers winter scarves I had found 75% off after the previous winter, they were a great find. This year and in years past I give them the seasonal body washes that Sauve puts out. There are three this year (body washes). These make a great "pamper yourself" gift.

I commend all of you, I stopped doing teacher gifts years ago. Between three kids there are 20+ teachers, not to mention coaches that spend as much time with them a week as the teachers, if not more. I just can't afford it. With them all being teenagers, the making a card idea isn't realistic and wouldn't be heartfelt. At these ages, they don't appreciate what their teachers do for them, they will later on though. I also couldn't justify it to dh since we stopped buying presents for his nieces and nephews because there are just too many of them now.

ok this thread has given me some real good ideas. My son is in Special needs preschool and has a reg teacher a personal aid( there are also other aids in the class) ABA teacher OT(whom I have never met) and a speech therapist. I am thinking I am going to do a big basket of supplies for the classroom with some hand products in it. ABA teacher I know buys lots of dvd's so I am thinking a best buy card. Ot might just get some hand stuff. Speech I have no clue. Ohh Crap just remembered there is his case manager too... the only guy. I think i can just give the bus driver and aid some hand stuff and they will be happy.