Sorry to dredge up old BF items...but the BB 32" Westy LCD TV and DirecTV remotes....

H_Hancock

Dredging up last year's Best Buy Westinghouse 32" LCD HD TV....did anyone who uses DirecTV in their house get their DTV remote to function with the Westy TV? I seem to remember, and my memory gets quite faulty as I get older so it may have been discussed and previously solved, that a lot of people were having problems getting a DTV remote to work with that TV, myself included.

But, I made a weird "discovery" a week or two ago. I've got DTV in three rooms....one has the Westy in it, one has a cheapie Philips 20", and one has a Sony Trinitron 36" in it.

Well, I mixed up the remotes and mistakenly tried to use the one programmed for the Sony on the Westy......and it worked. Even called up the TV's own internal menu program, just like the TV's own remote control.

So, I tried reprogramming the DTV remote that is being used for the Westy's room......programmed it for a Sony and worked like a charm. Last year, no amount of plugging in Westinghouse numbers ever got the DTV remote to do anything with the Westy LCD....not the volume, not turning it on or off, and certainly not accessing the TV's internal menu.

Odd that the Sony programming codes "unlocked" the remote to work with the Westy LCD.

Thanks for this. The 32' Westy was one of my purchases last year and toiled with the fact that I couldn't find the right codes for it for either a Tivo remote or a DTV remote. Taking one remote out of my coffee table is definitely a plus. I will test the Sony codes tonight.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a new hd direct tv unit and I can use it on my Westinghouse, but for some reason I think the tv's them selves do not have a good receiver for any remote, the one that comes with it is probably the worst remote I have ever owned. Sometimes I get so frustrated I think there is something wrong with my tv.