Combination DVD/VCR Player and Recorder

Guest Metallion

Guest Metallion

My mom wanted a combination DVD/VCR player and recorder last year. Of course she didn't tell me this until late in the afternoon on Black Friday after a sale at Walmart had ended where they had one for $99.

I saw Sears has one for $40 this year from Zenith (their 613 model), do you it will common to find these deeply discounted on Black Friday this year? Or do you think I should plan on getting in line early if I want one at the discounted price.

I really think that combo DVD/VCRs on their way out...

If you already have a VCR, you can just buy a DVD-recorder and copy your tapes to DVD, easy peasy.

Once you've done that, you really would have no use for the VCR "side" of a DVD/VCR combo.

And at the rate that VHS tapes deteriate, you should copy them to DVD sooner rather than later -- I started doing this with some of my old recordings and they look so much worse then I remember them a few years ago...

Keep in mind that TV tuners are scheduled to go all digital in February 2009. If you purchase a VCR or DVD recorder with a tuner, you will not be able to record over the air without a cable box or add-on digital tuner after then. There are some DVD recorders on the market with digital tuners-some have VCR's as well, but they are quite expensive ($200-$300).:yup:

Keep in mind that TV tuners are scheduled to go all digital in February 2009. If you purchase a VCR or DVD recorder with a tuner, you will not be able to record over the air without a cable box or add-on digital tuner after then. There are some DVD recorders on the market with digital tuners-some have VCR's as well, but they are quite expensive ($200-$300).:yup:

True, but that would not be a concern if the Metallion's Mom has cable or a satellite dish... Depends on how she receives her TV signal.

True, but that would not be a concern if the Metallion's Mom has cable or a satellite dish... Depends on how she receives her TV signal.

We have regular cable (I don't think our dinky little town offers digital cable). Does that mean I can buy a regular DVD player/recorder and it will work?

We have regular cable (I don't think our dinky little town offers digital cable). Does that mean I can buy a regular DVD player/recorder and it will work?

Yes, the only time you would need to worry is if you get your signal "over-the-air" (via rabbit ears or similar).

I really think that combo DVD/VCRs on their way out...

If you already have a VCR, you can just buy a DVD-recorder and copy your tapes to DVD, easy peasy.

Once you've done that, you really would have no use for the VCR "side" of a DVD/VCR combo.

And at the rate that VHS tapes deteriate, you should copy them to DVD sooner rather than later -- I started doing this with some of my old recordings and they look so much worse then I remember them a few years ago...

Can you record the Disney-type tapes? Have a load of them would really prefer them on DVD.

I ONLY have rabbit ears..... will I have NO SIGNAL in Feb 09??

Can you record the Disney-type tapes? Have a load of them would really prefer them on DVD.

I don't know about Disney tapes, I never tried.

Yes, as things stand now, you will have no signal unless you buy a TV w/a built-in digital tuner or buy a separate digital tuner (it will probably look like a cable box). The government just started running commercials about this change.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.html

I picked up a DVD recorder on BF last year from Walmart with the same idea in mind. Unfortunately, when I tried to copy my old VHS cassettes onto DVD, the picture was scrambled due to Macrovision copyright protection.:no: I don't know of any legal methods of getting around the Macrovision, but you may have better luck than I did with a combo player/recorder instead of two stand-alone machines connected to each other.

One thing to point out about the digital receiver rules with respect to new models produced starting earlier this year... tuners absolutely must be digital compatible, or the device is not allowed to include one at all. (Note: existing analog-only models may continue to be sold, but not produced.) You'll find that many manufacturers are electing to not include tuners on their lower end recorders anymore because the extra cost to be compliant causes the item to fall outside their target pricepoint. If you buy one of these models, you'll need a set top box to tune channels and feed it to the VCR/DVD recorder with A/V cables.

The FCC is being pretty serious about it. In fact, retailers (even online stores) are required to post signs on every TV/VCR/DVD model that includes an analog-only tuner. Stores that fail to do so risk being fined. Radio Shack has been hit a few times already for it during random audits in their stores.