Work gift exchange limits?

vsa3janes

Last year the department I work closely with invited me to be a part of the gift exchange. The limit is $35.00. Since I just started the job in October, after being out of work for 11 months, they understood when I thanked them but declined. I made them all a gift bag with chocolate pretzels.

This year they are already talking about drawing names again. Money isn't an issue to them since they are young, single and most live at home. I am sorta the office mom so I hate not to particapate, but, this is more than I spend on family members.

I don't have a problem telling them the limit is out of my comfort zone but don't want to alienate them by not accepting their offer a 2nd time. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Try to make sure you get a woman and use the coupons for The Limited you can spend 2-3 dollars but it will be the equivalent of $35. Just don't share the coupon with your co-workers.

MY DIL was very impressed the other day when I used the coupons there, she asked me to print her some and I think she will soon join this site.

My new job I started this summer is big on Birthday's and Holiday's I'm finding out. It really is out of my comfort zone. But it's a small office and I feel forced to participate. The thing being I'm the only one w/ kids. They are all middle aged- double income no kids-- and have the money. I'm single income (my husband is the stay home dad) and kid's.

I understand feeling the "need" to participate, but if it were me I'd tell them that unless the limit was much lower I unfortunately wouldn't be able to participate.

You said the "limit" was $35. That doesn't mean you have to spend that much... if someone can't appreciate the thought then they need to remind themselves of what's really important :)

Update - The minimum is $35 and I just found out they have a wish list along with their name. So if you pick a name you are to "gift" them from the wish list. I mentioned the limit was a little steep for me and several replied "what can you get for less." Apparently they are not Target clearance shopper. I am bowing out of this gift exchange. I think will make cookies and bring them in for everyone to share the day of the exchange.