Sam's Club

mtallen

Got this from another thread...

Black Friday gimmicks start rolling in

First out of the gate is Sam's Club, which is offering free breakfast in all of its stores nationwide to shoppers who come for its early-bird specials.

By Parija B. Kavilanz, CNNMoney.com senior writer

October 19 2007: 11:09 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- With crucial holiday sales on the line, Sam's Club is laying it on thick this year, giving shoppers free breakfast on top of its Black Friday "doorbuster" deals.

No doubt, an ongoing housing market slump coupled with credit market woes have left many Americans with less discretionary income to shop.

As stores brace for the all-important November-December holiday shopping period, which accounts for as much as 50 percent of merchants' annual profit and sales, retailers are especially nervous about whether or not they'll be able to make their year-end financial targets.

Given that Black Friday, or the day after Thanksgiving, sometimes sets the tone for the entire holiday sales rush, retailers will undoubtedly resort to all kinds of gimmicks to get crowds early into their stores and, more importantly, keep them there.

To that end, Sam's Club, a division of Wal-Mart Stores (Charts, Fortune 500), said it will open stores at 5 a.m. the day after Thanksgiving and roll out a free continental breakfast to shoppers in all of its locations nationwide until 9 a.m.

The retailer said this year consumers can also use their cellphone by texting "GO" to (sams1) to sign up to get a preview of its Black Friday sales beginning Nov. 19.

The National Retail Federation expects total 2007 holiday sales will increase 4 percent to $474.5 billion, or softer than last year's 4.6 percent growth.

Has anyone here heard anything about Sams club offereing breakfest to there early morinf black friday Shoppers. I had the news on and heard something but since the hubby was home and he has to change the channel every 2.2 sec I donot know what channel it might have been. So I am just wondering if anyone else had heard anything.

I went to Sam's today and they are passing out cards that say text the work "go" to sams1 by Nov. 15 and you can be one of the first to see our day-after-Thanksgiving merchandise. Since Sam's and Walmart go hand in hand I wonder why Walmart is having issues with an early release of their ad?

Edit to add:

Or visit samsclub.com/txt to register

• 2 weeks later...
I went to Sam's last year on BF. And like bigjimslade said, no one shops there for BF. I can't belive they are opening at 5 am. I think last year was regular hours. I dunno? I am a business member and I thought business members got in first last year. Maybe I am imagining this?? Anyways, I didn't get there til like 8 I think. I can't remember:cheesy: