Toys R Us Exchange Policy - It Stinks!

WENT TO TOYS R US TODAY TO EXCHANGE A TMX COOKIE MONSTER [THAT DID NOT WORK - MAYBE IT WAS DEAD BATTERIES, BUT DIDNT WANT TO OPEN THE PACKAGE SINCE IT WAS A PRESENT] FOR ONE THAT WORKED. THE LADY AT THE EXCHANGE DESK SAID DO YOU HAVE A RECEIPT AND I TOLD HER I DIDN'T... IT WAS A GIFT. SHE SAID NO RECEIPT - NO EXCHANGE. I WORKED IN RETAIL THE LAST 11 YEARS & UNDERSTAND YOU WOULD NEED A RECEIPT FOR WANTING SOME TYPE OF REFUND BUT ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS EXCHANGE THIS ITEM FOR AN EXACT SAME ITEM - A "WORKING" COOKIE MONSTER TMX FRIEND.

SHE WAS A GROUCH!!!

MAN, HOPE SHE IS NOT LIKE THAT ONCE THE HOLIDAY SEASON REALLY HITS THEM! :no:

My son collects Star Wars Galactic heroes, so for his birthday he got a double.

We said DO NOT want to return anything, just exchange it for a different one. She said no reciept no return. I said I wasn't returning... we didn't want money...just the same thing, different guy. She got all pissy with me and said no.

So since I promissed him more guys, and he had $75 worth of gift cards,

So while we were buying MORE Star Wars guys... the one we brought in "accidently:smirk: " slipped out of it's bag and must have gotten mixed up....:sidesplit LOL OH well. I don;t remember which one it was.... LOL Honestly:g_whistle

Needless to say my son came out without any doubles...LOL

I'll teach them.

They changed the policy June of 2006. They don't make ANY exceptions at all. Your only recourse is to contact the manufacturer if you don't have the receipt.

My recourse is to boycott that store completely! They are overpriced and horrible to deal with.

Might be why the company is on the verge of bankruptcy :yup:

My recourse is to boycott that store completely! They are overpriced and horrible to deal with.

TRU isn't on the verge of bankruptcy. They were 2 years ago, but they were sold to a private investor's group. They do certainly have higher prices on some items than Target & Walmart, but that has a lot more to do with their size than anything else. They don't have the same ability to get deals from manufacturers because they buy less than mass retailers. For some items, though, they are actually less expensive, and for many the same as the mass retailers. Our local stores all have much nicer employees than the ones at our local Walmarts. And they have the significant advantage of having a much greater depth of product. So, while they aren't my first choice most of the time, I sure would miss them if they were gone. It would be a lot harder to find some of the toys that kids want because the mass retailers simply don't have space to carry them all.

Well, if they are I wonder why they are building a brand new store due to open in a few weeks?

Guest JustMeDiana
:mad: I was also in Toys R Us recently and tried to exchange something. They would not budge. Exchange or return with SALES RECEIPET OR GIFT RECEIPT ONLY. This stinks!!! If you shop with them for Christmas be sure and save all receipts.

TRU is ridiculous when it comes to their returns/exchanges. The cashiers act like you are taking money out of their own pockets, too. I don't think it would be so frustrating if they at least sounded empathetic when you are trying to get some customer service!!

Just so you know...

I'm not sure if all of them are this way, but if you purchased the item and used a credit or debit card, they can look up the transaction using the card you used to purchase an item. That doesn't help you if you are trying to exchange a gift item that you didn't purchase, but at least it helps if you purchased it yourself and lost the receipt or something.

I personally think TRU sucks :yuck: but I recently returned 2 games there without a receipt and they gave me a store gift card for the amount, not one question asked.:eyepoppin I was shocked! The games were a gift. I try not to shop there. It has to be an awesome deal to get me in there. After I threw a fit last year, I am surprised there isn't a poster of me in their break room, banning me! LOL

Whatever happened to Customer Service? When I was in high school, I worked retail and we were told, "The customer is always right" Now, it seems, the customer is just a bother!! I would pay more to shop at a store that treated their customers (and employees) better.

Yep, it's a tough policy.

Have you tried taking it to Target? I've returned/exchanged things there before and NEVER had a problem.

Our Target is TERRIBLE for returns. My GS received duplicate DVD's. He had the receipt and it had not been opened. He wanted to exchange it for another one he didn't have and they refused because it had a small tear in the corner of the shrink wrap. When we looked at the same DVD on the shelf, they ALL had the same small tear in the corner.

We did contact customer service. What a bad experience for an 8 yo, who simply wanted a different DVD.

I banned thema fter lst year. I bought video games for teh kids at a sale. THey forgot to put one in them the bag . OMG I had dropped all bags at my parents found out when i was wrapping. I called. THey said they knew by my recipt number and phone number that htey did not give me the game. THey were odl out. WHy did they not call me when they noticed. It took 2 months to get the game. Customer Service is just non existant these day. Walmart although I hate the wya they treat employees by far has thebest return policy.

Our Target is TERRIBLE for returns. My GS received duplicate DVD's. He had the receipt and it had not been opened. He wanted to exchange it for another one he didn't have and they refused because it had a small tear in the corner of the shrink wrap. When we looked at the same DVD on the shelf, they ALL had the same small tear in the corner.

We did contact customer service. What a bad experience for an 8 yo, who simply wanted a different DVD.

Oh wow! See....I hate seeing things like this happen. Especially when it involves children.

You'd think a small tear could be seen that it's just a tear and didn't affect the entire shrink-wrap...like you could see that it hadn't been opened and viewed.

I've never had any problems returning anything to them. They normally just ask why I'm returning the product and refund my money.

Hopefully customer service was able to fix it for your GS!

I agree TRU has the worst return/exchange policy too. Followed by Kmart and then Target. Walmart is pretty easy going.

I think if it is Broken or a Manf defect even without a reciept TRU or any store should take the item back hands down even if it is for instore credit.

I remember this guy was trying to return a bike pump to Kmart that was broken and at the same time a guy was trying to exchange a shirt for a different one that he got as a gift the girl behind the desk told the guy with the broken pump she wouldn't take it back at all and the guy with the shirt she told him that he had to get the same shirt, same size but could get a different color. I don't think she knew what she was doing at all!

At Target I was returning some item that I paid $13.xx in cash and $10.00 on my debit card. My return was only $9.xx She told me she couldn't give me cash back only put it back on my card or a GC I was like NO I paid part cash I want cash back. Finally after twisting her arm she gave me cash. DUH! Some people make it so hard...

I had a bad experience with them, too. I purchased one of those cameras sets for dummies and it didn't work. I tried to take it back and they wouldn't budge. I had 4 reciepts with tons of stuff on them, but never found the right one. They acted like I stole the item. I even pointed out to the girl that I purchase it in the video game section, but they still didn't care. I won't buy anything from them, unless I am certain that I will be keeping it. I'm also bummed that they stop caring clothes past a size 7 and shoes past a 1 or 2. I think they have really gone down hill. My 2 stores look a little bare. I used to spend several hundred with them, when they Nov toybook came out, but I am very hesitant now. They will have to some very good doorbusters to make me buy this BF.

Unfortunately I think the problem is that too many people abuse the system. The same as coupons. People abuse the system, the store loses too much money and they are forced to change their policies. I used to work at TRU and I could not believe the things people returned. Old broken toys from years ago among other things. If everybody would be more respectful then I think stores would not have to change their policies.

I really hate seeing people complain about return policies. The stores were FORCED by consumers to make those changes, as consumers were taking advantage of the store's lenient policies, and bringing items back to Toys R Us that were never purchased there.

I include gift receipts with every gift I give. Takes 5 seconds, and is really the considerate thing to do.

Keep in mind that most stores have credit card look up, so I just make sure to use credit cards(usually my bank debit card) to make purchases of things that may be returned, especially electronics.

I am sure the policy was started because there are people who abuse the policy, however, the people on here complaining are honest people. It is unfortunate, however, I don't think it would be too much to have a policy where if a toy is broken it can be exchanged. No gift card - just exchanged.

If someone comes in with an old toy from years ago - just say no. If they get beligerent call the cops. I am sure people abuse the system - you will find that everywhere but the stores shouldn't penalize the honest customers as well. JMO of course.

I have had problems with TRU and target before. I worked my time in retail and try not to forget it!!! But, the worst is the gift receipt for the item that is purchased and a few days over the time limit. We had some of those for my sons birthday party. We HAD the gift receipt but because the person had purchased it well before the party, we could not even exchange the item.