front load washing machine

rmol66

I need to get a new washer/dryer and want the new front load type, but there are so many out there that I don't know where to start to find the best one. I need the largest one possible, for the best price, and dependability. If anyone has gotten a new one lately or know of any info on the better one I could get I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Ruth

I just moved into a new house and bought the Whirlpool front loader washer/dryer. I love it. I looked at them for a long time, but since we had to wait for the house to be ready I could not buy last BF. Mine were about $750 a piece. I got them from Lowes and I also got 10% of each one. Good Luck

A little over a year ago, we got a pair of GE front load washer & dryer. Let me just tell you do some research on what you get. Our washer wouldn't spin about every 4th or 5th load out. And you can't just set them to spin. You have to rerun the entire wash cycle. Another thing about the front load washers is they take longer to wash that regular washers. I think the fasted load I was able to wash took 51 minutes. And they don't hold as much as you would think they do. You can't cram them full like the salesman will tell After we had the repair man out (which by the way, he didn't have a good thing to say about them either) about 3 or 4 times I finally got fed up with them and sent them back to Home Depot. Since then I have seen several returns in store. Now we are back to a regular washer & dryer, and I couldn't be happier. I HATED my front load and will never get another set!! Just my thoughts.

Thanks for all the input, I'm still confused, especially when one person hated theirs and sent it back, but overall I have heard good things about them, I can wait and I know there is somekind of new govt standards that all new washers have to meet and only the front washers are doing any good at washing.

I need to look at the consumer report on them too, or if anyone has looked, which one did they quote as the best buy?

Thanks again,

Ruth

I have Maytag washer and dryer and I love them. Piece of advise.......keep the screws that hold the drum in place that come with the washer. If you ever move, DO NOT move the washer without putting the screws back in....big trouble and big bucks to fix if you move the washer without the drum being stationary.

I bought a set of LG's last April. I was a little leary as I too had heard various yes and no's on front washers. And I had never owned an LG model of anything before. But it had the features on it that I wanted - the largest possible drum. I LOVE them. I too was told to keep the screws for the drum just in case it ever needed to be moved. My average load takes 56 minutes to wash. And boy, do I cram the stuff in. I think it is easier on my clothes than an old standard washer with an agitator. I used to get little holes in my jeans around the seams of pockets and along the bottom cuff. I attributed this to the agitator. Now I don't have that problem. The one thing I did do was I initially did not buy the pedestal stands to raise them off the floor. I couldn't see paying the price for those. After several months, hubby built me a riser out of plywood that we painted white (our washer and dryer are in the garage anyways) and it sure is easier on the back getting clothes in and out of the washer/dryer. Much cheaper than the pedestals - our project was under $30, compared to $200 somethingish a piece for the pedestal stands. I would definitely purchase them again!

• 2 weeks later...

From Consumer Reports:

For better performance and efficiency (WASHERS)

• Bosch Nexxt 500 Series WFMC3301UC , $1100

• Whirlpool Duet HT GHW9400P[W] , $1200

• LG WM0642H[W] , $1000

All three front-loaders combine fine washing with energy efficiency and quiet operation. The Bosch offers better water efficiency and low vibration, the Whirlpool and LG larger capacities. But the Whirlpool is being phased out, so its availability is limited.

For Dryers:

Best overall dryers at a reasonable price:

• Kenmore (Sears) Elite 6697[2] , $570, CR Best Buy

This dryer scored excellent overall and cost hundreds less than most other models near the top of the Ratings. It does lack some frills, such as custom programming, a stainless-steel drum, and a reversible door. Its door is drop-down style.

Nearly as good for less (DRYERS):

• Kenmore (Sears) Elite 6692[2] , $500, CR Best Buy

• GE Profile DPSE810EG[WT] , $550

The Kenmore scored a notch lower for drying than the Kenmore (Sears) Elite 6697[2] did, but it offers ample capacity and a moisture sensor and is relatively quiet. It lacks custom programs, a stainless-steel drum, and electronic controls. It also dried delicates more than we would have liked. The GE provides excellent drying performance overall and can handle big loads. It has a moisture sensor, stainless-steel drum, rotary controls, end-of-cycle signal, and a drying rack. This is a noisy machine, a consideration if you place it near living areas.

Thank You so much, I may wait til black friday and try and get the best deal then. I know almost anything I get will be better than I have now, ours are about 16 years old. That's the thing, we tend to keep things for a long time so I'd like to make a good decision!

I need to spend some time on the site that CRU2001 mentioned.

Thanks again

Ruth