? about playstation 3

cbbutler2

Yes, you can play ALL Playstation games on the PS3. Including PS1 games, PS2 games, and PS3 games. But you can't play PS3 games on the PS2 or PS1. Hope I didn't confuse you. PM me if you'd like if you have any other questions about it. My dh and ds17 play this all the time!

To be quite fair it actually depends on what version of the PlayStation 3 you get. The current 60gig version should play most PS1 and PS2 games however to quote wikipedia

"In order to reduce manufacturing costs, the Emotion Engine (EE) is not included in European and South Korean systems. The new 80 GB model released in North America also lacks hardware support for legacy titles. Software emulation is used in place of hardware support and as a result, backward compatibility for PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games is reduced.[94] Backward compatibility is improved periodically through PlayStation 3 System Software updates, however Sony has stated that its focus will eventually shift to developing content exclusively for the PS3."

Basically with the newer versions of the PS3 there isn't as much of a guarantee that all your old games will play. I hope this helped.

Yes, you can play ALL Playstation games on the PS3. Including PS1 games, PS2 games, and PS3 games. But you can't play PS3 games on the PS2 or PS1. Hope I didn't confuse you. PM me if you'd like if you have any other questions about it. My dh and ds17 play this all the time!

Actually, you cant play ALL of them. Sony was working on a way to make that happen, but it never did. You can play MOST, but dont be surprised if you have a more obscure game & it wont play. Its a pretty safe bet tho that all the bigger titles will play.

I have a 60G & we have played some PS 1 games on it. Pretty obscure ones too: Disney Racing, The Grinch, Bugs Life (kid games). We skipped the PS2 all together, did the XBOX & GC instead. I have read that you can play most PS1 & PS2 titles. I hadn't heard about them changing that for the 80G, rooky move IMO. I like the PS3 for movies, upscaling my dvds is nice. Blueray is amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Ds17 said he heard they are going to do another price cut on the ps3 sometime before Christmas. Also, they are going to release a 40gb one too .

Source: Showbiz trade The Hollywood Reporter.

What we heard: After weeks of rumors, leaks, and nondenials of its nonexistence, the 40GB PlayStation 3 officially unveiled last week. However, while reports about the new stripped-down console had come from all over the globe--including US and Australian retailers--Sony has confirmed its release only in Europe and the UK.

Now, though, it appears US and Canadian gamers may be able to finally mark their calendars. Today, the Hollywood Reporter, one of the most widely read and influential entertainment-focused dailies on the planet, is reporting the 40GB will arrive on North American shores in less than a month. The Reporter quotes an "industry source" as saying, "We're hearing November 2" and confirmed the date with a "buyer for a major game retailer."

Unsurprisingly, the Reporter also says the console will have the same stripped-down form factor as the European 40GB PS3, with just two USB ports, no memory card readers, and the still-baffling lack of software-based backward compatibility. However, as rumored, the console will be $399, $200 cheaper than the $599 80GB PS3 Sony currently manufactures for the NA market. (The 60GB model has been discontinued, though some units are still lingering on retailer shelves.)

Though still considerably more than the $249 Wii or $279 Xbox 360 Core, the new price point puts the PS3 in the same ballpark as the $349 Xbox 360 Pro and the $449 Xbox 360 Elite. It will also become the cheapest player of Blu-ray Disc media on the market, helping Sony's ongoing efforts to promote the high-definition format. Indeed, the $399 40GB PS3 will be more affordable than any 360 equipped with the console's $179 HD DVD player add-on, though still more expensive than some stand-alone HD DVD players, which cost as little as $299.

The official story: Sony had not responded to comments on the Reporter report as of press time.

My FI wants the 60gb PS3 for the backwards compatibility. He's been watching the stock at the local Best Buy. Now they are under 10 units and we're considering picking it up this weekend.

If we get it soon, and the price drops in the next 30 days, does BB offer any kind of refund of the difference?