I need good digital camera? Canon A550 is that a good one?

Does anyone know if the Canon Powershot A550 is a good camera? I am a kindergarten teacher and a mother to a almost 2year old (she turns 2 next week). I am needing a camera that will capture the CUTE things children do. My old camera just broke and I am needing to replace my camera before my daughter second birthday. :)

I am CLUELESS as to what features are good and needed. Please help. :eyepoppin

thanks! :yup:

• 3 weeks later...

I think their digital elph line takes much better pictures. Last year we had a big anniversary celebration (:D ) and several friends took pictures. One friend had a new A560 (I think it was the 560- could have been the 550 or 570 though- it was the one that came out last spring), my daughter's S550, my S60 and a Sony. Many shots were taken fairly simultaneously by different people and the picture quality of the A560 was not as good as any of the others.

Look at dpreview or steves-digicams and check out the picture quality for yourself. The digital elphs are great little cameras, can fit in a pocket even, and take fabulous pictures. They will cost a little more than the A550 but I think the picture quality is worth it. Hope I didn't confuse you.

I have either a A560 or A550 (I think a A560) and my daughter has an A510 and we both love them. They take great pictures. I have had mine for 1 maybe 2 years and I haven't had any problems with it. I do like mine better than my daughter's though - even though her's is good as well. Her's just seems to take the picture slower than mine.

If you want a good cheap camera that takes awesome close-ups plus the added video with sound I would recommend the Panasonic Lumix LZ2 or even the LZ3 might be pretty cheap too by now,lol. If you are interested in seeing what kind of pics it can take check out my userpage:

http://forums.gottadeal.com/userpage.php?do=main&userid=69430

For alot more examples of what this cheap little camera can do my webpage is listed at the bottom of the userpage and is loaded with nothing but pics taken with this camera. They will give you a good example of what kind of pics this is good for. It is not great for indoor shots taken out of flash range though!

I have the Panasonic LumixFz7 and I love it. I bouught it to take to the race last year and the shots were awesome with the cars moving and all no blur. It also does videos with sound. When the pictures are printed from the sd card they are so vivid. I am well satisfied.

i am looking for a new camera also. i have a kodak one that i got frmo BF a couple years ago. i like it except for the fact that i hate losing pics due to shutter delay.... and with 2 kids, that most of my pics, lol. so i am going to keep an eye on this thread and see what other cameras people suggest.

I am in the market also since I dropped my dd camera and it is no longer working. I have the Kodak digital camera that allows you to snap the picture, run and get a cup of coffee, and return to see it take the picture with the subjects eyes closed!! My daughters had a much quicker shutter speed and I find I am getting maybe one good shot out of ten. We take mainly baby photos so any suggestions for a new digital camera would be appreciated.

OKAY I also had a Kodak, the 340 and i didnt like it much but it was a gift so i dealt with it for 17 months then said i cant take this anymore......I just got the Canon PowerShot S3 IS

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Image-Stabilized-Zoom/dp/B000EMWBV0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-9722166-4642869?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1180109957&sr=8-1

its $303 on amazon right now and if you can afford it I PROMISE you will LOVE it!!!!! This camera is awesome!!!! it may go down in price in the next few months cause in July they are releasing the S5 IS. This camera has awesome shutter speeds and continueous shooting even high speed continueous shooting too, that will allow you to take GREAT baby pics :) The 12x zoom is soooooo nice.

Seriously if you can afford to buy this camera and you really want a good one this is it :)

Something that is important also ... is how does it fit into your hand. I had a digital camera given to me as a present ... and while at the time it was considered 'Top of the Line' it took great pictures did everything that I need from it ... it does not fit my hand. So go to one of the stores that has a bunch of them out for you to try and hold them in your hand like you are taking a picture ... hold them like you are walking ... think about where you are going to keep it (pocketbook, case, pocket). Does it need it's own case ... Does it safely go into something else you have to carry?

i am looking for a new camera also. i have a kodak one that i got frmo BF a couple years ago. i like it except for the fact that i hate losing pics due to shutter delay.... and with 2 kids, that most of my pics, lol. so i am going to keep an eye on this thread and see what other cameras people suggest.

That is the exact reason I bought the Canon Powershot S2. The S3 was more than I wanted to spend. I have to say I am very happy with this camera. The shutter speed is very fast. Fast enough to keep up with ds2. The 12x optical zoom is great too. My dd had a concert at school yesterday and if it wasn't for the zoom lens I would have missed some great pictures.

It is not a pocket camera but was worth it to me to get the 12x optical zoom.

Go to a place like Target. They have lots of camera display models that you can test.

• 2 weeks later...
I am so glad to find this thread....I've invested in 2 Kodaks - liked them both but want faster shutter speed for my kids sports. Are these good for sports as well? Also, I love the Kodak software and website to upload to. Does Cannon have something similar?

Ia m reviewing the reviews on this camera that someone mentioned above http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Image-Stabilized-Zoom/dp/B000EMWBV0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-3724720-2232065?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1180913332&sr=1-1 and i want to know.... what is this SLR/DSLR that they are talking about? it is repeated several times in the reviews and i am curious. I see that the S5 IS is now available. I really want to get a better camera that will last for a very long time and am willing to spend the money.