best Air purifier

I am not sure this is the right forum but I need your help. Those of you that have allergies and asthma.... what is the best Air purifier to get. My 2 year old granddaughter has been diagnosed with "possible" asthma. Her doctor said she had allergies but we had her tested at a clinic and she had no reactions to anything. We were told to get an air purifier (without ionizer) and there are a ton out there. I thought I would check with all of you because I know that you can share you experiences and maybe we can find a good one that will "nip this in the bud" and she will outgrow this. Thanks in advance for any info.. and if this is the wrong forum please feel free to let me know where to post.

I am not sure the exact name of it, but the ion air purifier that they used to (probably still do) sell on tv. It was white tower type one. I knew a lady who had an old house and a husband who liked to smoke cigars. She would only let him smoke in one room, and it smelled horrible in there.

Well she bought one for in the room and it made a world of difference. The smell was gone! She then bought them for the rest of the house. I think she wound up with one in every room. Now mind you this is a huge historical home with a a ton of bedrooms and half a dozen bathrooms and an old elevator to boot.

I don't personally own one of those, bus she swore by them.

My mom got me one a few years ago -- another brand, and I love it. I can tell the difference. They don't sell the one I have anymore though. But I would say to make sure it is one that has an ION purifier of some sort.

you could try checking out Consumer Reports i was thinking of getting one and they had a lot of info on air cleaners. PM me if they don't give you the info your looking for i tried to copy and post but they block that. are you looking for a small one or a full house one? when they say ozone they don't mean the one around the planet. this link should work if it does click on the left side to read what they say about air purifiers it called Air cleaners: The truth behind the accolades. hope this was helpful.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/ionizing-air-cleaners-505/ratings/index.htm

PLEASE NOTE : the DOCTOR stated NOT an ion one-ion purifiers are VERY BAD for asthmatics-please make certain that you change/clean the filters on the purifier away from the asthmatic as the particles that are built up on it are concentrated. I change mine in a different room (keep mine in the bedroom) and wear a mask. Mine is no longer sold, but I am also looking for a new one. Thinking of buying the new one by 3m, I use their micro particle furnace filter for my house. The filters cut down on dust also. (Target carries several brands of purifiers and filters, as do Lowes and Home Depot) If you sign up on the 3m website, they usually send a calendar and a rebate form. Honeywell also sells an air purifier that I am considering. Look at the size of area that it purifiers.

What kind of allergy testing was it? Not all allergies will show up on the blood or the skin tests.

PLEASE NOTE : the DOCTOR stated NOT an ion one-ion purifiers are VERY BAD for asthmatics-please make certain that you change/clean the filters on the purifier away from the asthmatic as the particles that are built up on it are concentrated. I change mine in a different room (keep mine in the bedroom) and wear a mask. Mine is no longer sold, but I am also looking for a new one. Thinking of buying the new one by 3m, I use their micro particle furnace filter for my house. The filters cut down on dust also. (Target carries several brands of purifiers and filters, as do Lowes and Home Depot) If you sign up on the 3m website, they usually send a calendar and a rebate form. Honeywell also sells an air purifier that I am considering. Look at the size of area that it purifiers.

What kind of allergy testing was it? Not all allergies will show up on the blood or the skin tests.

They did skin tests.. animal dander;pollen;tree;food etc. He suggested a honeywell (without the ion) We are thinking of getting 2 instead of one big one. Target has the honeywells and seem to be the least expensive on them. The Dr also suggested a TRU HEPA instead of a hepa like purifier. He said it should filter the air at least 5 times an hour.

Thanks everyone for your input.. it really IS helping. We didnt even know what questions to ask because we really thought it would have been allergies. They put her on palmocord and albuteral for now plus an antibiotic and said she had an ongoing sinus infection along with the beginning of asthma .It s soo frustrating.

Thanks for the website. I will certainly read it. If I find a good deal on any good purifiers I will certainly pass on the info.

Niccci the honeywells are very good.My son has a breathing problem also so i got these for my house.They are costly though.The every 2-3 month filter cost around $20-$30 and the inner filter about every 2 years cost about $100 at which point i just buy a new hepa machine all together.IMO honeywell is the way togo.GL.

Niccci the honeywells are very good.My son has a breathing problem also so i got these for my house.They are costly though.The every 2-3 month filter cost around $20-$30 and the inner filter about every 2 years cost about $100 at which point i just buy a new hepa machine all together.IMO honeywell is the way togo.GL.

Thanks so much for the advise. It seems like a lot of people live the honeywells. They do have some that you can wash out the filter so then it would be just replacing the inner filter. With help from the MAN UPSTAIRS and alittle luck maybe we wont have to be worrying about this in 2 years.

I have a Honeywell and it does a great job, but when I went to buy a second air cleaner I did a lot of research and ended up with the Whirlpool AP45030R ( it is recommended by Consumer Reports as one of their 'Quick Pick's.) The Whirlpool is AWESOME... it moves tons of air QUIETLY and does a great job. I can't watch TV with the Honeywell next to me on high, but I have no problems with the Whirlpool.

Also, I have found that filters for both (prefilters and HEPA filters) are cheaper on eBay than anywhere else. Just be sure to buy from reputable sellers! There are a lot of small reputable businesses that use eBay as their storefront.

Oh yeah... one more thing. The Ionizing air cleaners are NOT GOOD for asthmatics! Here is a link to one article, but if you do a Google search, you'll find a lot more.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-04-04-air-filters_x.htm

Can someone explain why NOT to get the ion one? My doctor told me to get one for my son and never mentioned not getting one with an ionizer which is what I got and my son has asmatha.

If you do a Google search for IONIZING AIR CLEANER ASTHMA, lots of links come up. I have listed a few below. Studies done several years ago found that many Ionizing air cleaners may produce unhealthy amounts of ozone that can actually create further problems for people with asthma or allergies. They also found that those type of air cleaners are less effective than those with true hepa filters (which is unfortunate because they usually cost more!).

It is unfortunate that your doctor didn't specify... it sounds like the OP on this thread WAS told not to get an Ionizing air cleaner. If you decide that the Ionizing one that you have isn't for you, you could probably sell it on eBay for close to what you paid for it.

Lots of info and reviews here:

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/house_and_home/air-purifiers/review.html

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-04-04-air-filters_x.htm

http://www.webmd.com/asthma/news/20050404/ionizing-air-cleaners-may-pose-health-hazard

The links on the left side of this page give additional info.....

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/ionizing-air-cleaners-505/overview/index.htm

I looked at the links and mine is different, it's a HEPA air purifier with and has a hepa filter that I replace, and it has an ionizer setting that you can turn on or off. The doctor did tell us not to get one of those ones that were on TV all the time, just to make sure that it said HEPA. I was worried when I read the post, but I think that we're OK.

• 3 weeks later...