what do i get a 1 year old who has everything?

well my sil son is turning one next month and he has everything but nothing to play with outside. but they have little to no yard. and i have no idea what to get him.. also my daughter is turning one in april and i dont know what to get her i was thinking of maybe a swing set, see-saw, and a sand box. but i dont know i really want to get her stuff for outside because she loves the outside..but if anyone has any better ideas then please feel free to let me know..

Well, for the sil's son how about a savings bond and then just something really small to open? Since our kids were born my husbands parents have put money in accounts for them for birthdays and Christmas and then just gotten them some little thing to open because they need absolutely nothing. I think it's great that they do that.

For your daughter, does she have one of those little outdoor cars? I don't really know the age on those, but we got some for our kids 1st birthday. They had handles on them so you can push them until they are ready to do it themselves then you take the handle off and part of the floor of the car out. They love those. They also love the sandbox.

Actually, that car might work for sil son too if they have a driveway or sidewalk they could push him around on.

How much do you want to spend?

Ikea has a wooden table and chair set for around $20. My twins have it and it's great b/c since it was so cheap I don't get all worked up when the color on it etc.

If you want to spend more $ (but not much more, the prices are not bad at all, I think) check out Little Tykes stuff. Swings, slides, house, cars--- all of that is good for a 1 year old. Oh, and sand boxes too. My kids love their LT slide and picnic table for outside and pirate "swing set" for inside. Oh, and "sand and water" tables are great too. My kids love theirs. Really, anything Little Tykes is good.

The Leap Frog alphabet or farm magnets for the fridge are great, too.

HTH!

Swing set is an excellent idea for the one with a yard a good one will 'grow' with the child ... ie. the bucket swing can be changed to a regular swing when the child is old enough. And if it has a slider (one of those swings with two seats) you can also 'swing' with the child.

There is a car that has a handle like a lawn mower so that the parent (or whoever is with the child) can push till the child either learns to use it themselves or gets tired.

Sandbox is an excellent idea also ... get one that has a cover ... it will keep out the rain in addition to a bit of protection from the kids adding yard dirt to the sand.

Hope this helps

TerryAnn

:gdcat:

Don't know what your budget is but maybe a small little tykes or step 2 climber set or very small little climbing cube or house. I also saw on TRU site blew up pools that have balls, so like a small ball pit, can be used indoors or out. I don't think you need to get much for a one year old but the sandbox idea is fun, small swingset or climbing cube that has a slide, the little coupes or cars get alot of use out of them, though at 1 they are moving as fast as say a 2 year old so maybe something they can push around at first would be better. If you get a small climbing cube, it could be used indoors too. We had a ton of the yard plastics when the kids were small-house, climbing cubes, swing sets-you might even find someone selling theirs for a great price in the paper. Small kitchen set or workbench works great for kids to, if you go to TRU online or any of the toy shops online, you can pick 12 mths-24mths and it will give you age appropriate toys.

I have a 3 and a 1 year old. I also have a very tiny yard. You could get him one of those little mowers that blows bubbles. Or you could do a bunch of little stuff like a ball, bubbles for his mom to blow for him. My daughter also loves those little bikes that you strap them in and push them in and then turns into a bike later on. I think they run about $40.

My son, just turned one, fits into the category of 'has everything'. However, you can never really have everything. I would ask the parents for ideas, but something my son got for xmas which was awesome, was an inflatable ball pit. It can go inside or outside, we have it in our living room and it really does not take up much space.

It is only $19.99!!!!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2267466&cp=&sr=1&f=Taxonomy%2FTRUS%2F2254197&origkw=little+tikes+carnival&kw=little+tikes+carnival&parentPage=search

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/3909/ballpitii4.jpg

Just keep in mind the mobility of the child, mine has been walking for a while so this is great for him but if the one year old you are looking for is only crawling, this may not be ideal.

I got my 17 month old this http://cgi.ebay.com/Little-Tikes-CUBE-SLIDE-Playground-Activity-Climber-Gym_W0QQitemZ270077078745QQihZ017QQcmdZViewItem The prices on Ebay are crazy for it, I think! I actually got it off of freecycle for just a 30 mile round trip. He isn't real into it, but it is his size. We have to put him on the slide right now (We set it up in the basement until spring)

We had playgroup here the other day, and all of the little ones were in love with ds' Bounce and Spin Zebra. I don't think you would want to leave it outside all the time because it does use batteries to light up. I just couldn't believe how much all of the ones ages 1 and 2 loved it! http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-7046777-7309401?asin=B000EULX9I&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B000EULX9I|Baby_Gymtastics_Bounce__Spin_Zebra&nAID=14110944&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

I got my 17 month old this http://cgi.ebay.com/Little-Tikes-CUBE-SLIDE-Playground-Activity-Climber-Gym_W0QQitemZ270077078745QQihZ017QQcmdZViewItem The prices on Ebay are crazy for it, I think! I actually got it off of freecycle for just a 30 mile round trip. He isn't real into it, but it is his size. We have to put him on the slide right now (We set it up in the basement until spring)

We had playgroup here the other day, and all of the little ones were in love with ds' Bounce and Spin Zebra. I don't think you would want to leave it outside all the time because it does use batteries to light up. I just couldn't believe how much all of the ones ages 1 and 2 loved it! http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-7046777-7309401?asin=B000EULX9I&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B000EULX9I|Baby_Gymtastics_Bounce__Spin_Zebra&nAID=14110944&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

My son has the Bounce and Spin Zebra and will not play with it. He will spin the light up part but won't sit on it long enough to take his feet off the ground. LOL

Hello,

I vote for the swing set. I suggest getting the full size set and using a baby swing for the first year. We had the little tykes set for the first one and ended up selling it at a yard sale the next year.

Our kids also love the plastic play houses. Although expensive in the stores, you can find them at reasonable prices at yard sales.

When ds10 turned one I got him a little motorcycle that sat on the rocking base that you could detach when he got old enough. I can't remember for sure, but I think it was Little Tykes. He sure loved that thing!!!

My kids have so much, too. I barely want to buy them anything for Christmas because I don't want more "stuff" in my house. My daughter will be turning one in March and I have no idea what to get her. She has one wicker laundry basket of toys and that's more than enough to keep her entertained. I've realized with the little ones that less is more.

If the parents love to get him everything, maybe they'd like some things from Gymboree or Baby Gap? If you're not sure about sizes or preferred styles, it would be really nice to put a gift receipt and let them know that you don't mind at all if they take them in for whatever they'd like or will get the most use because you just wanted him to have something to open.

When it comes down to it, I think I like the savings bond and small toy to open idea.