SunRocket VoIP Service - 1 Year Unlimited + 3 Free Months - $199 Shipped

Brad

http://www.gottadeal.com/images/storelogos/sunrocket.gif

SunRocket is giving 3 free months when you pay for one year of service for $199. Also includes free equipment (no rebate needed), free shipping, free activation, free extra phone number and much more. No term contract, no cancellation fees, 31 day money-back guarantee.

SunRocket VoIP Service - 1 Year Unlimited + 3 Free Months - $199 Shipped @ SunRocket

• 3 weeks later...

How does SunRocket compare to Vonage?

The wife and I have been considering dropping our home phone.

DROP that land line! :)

I have sunrocket...we got in on the 2 years for $199 deal over the summer. I have had 2 dropped calls in 6 months, but 1 of those was when I was talking to my Bro-in-law(they have internet phone through their cable company) so we don't know whose fault it was.

I have a 5 meg down/384k up line. I am sure the quality of any internet phone service...whether through the cable company, Vonage or Sunrocket..will totally depend on your upload line speed. I have seen mention of about 20k/s being necessary for quality calls. My quality is comparable to a land line on my end, but the other end compares to a cell phone call sometimes.

I like all the features you get for free, like 3 way calling, caller ID, call waiting, call forwarding etc.

They now have something called sim-ring. You can set it up to ring another # simultaniously when a call comes in...which is awesome if your expecting a call but have to run out for a minute. No need to hang around waiting for an important call.

Overall, I love the idea of unlimited phone service for under $17/month (mine is only $8.30/month ) I was happy to get rid of my Verizon land line that cost me $23/month for a dial tone...NO calls, NO extras...just for a dial tone! I had to pay extra for every call I made.

Vonage is only unlimited if you spend $25/month plus tax. I believe thay have a ~$10/month for a limited # of minutes. I paid $199...that was it for 2 years...no taxes, extras or anything else. I did receive notice that ther will be some kind of federal tax added to the bill, but only after my 2 year deal is up. I assume that extra tax would apply to new customers.

I forgot about the 2nd # for free part. It's not as good as it sounds, Sunrocket has to offer service in the area code you choose. I thought of using that 1 so my mom could call me for cost of local call, but nope. I just call her back when she calls :)

We've had Sunrocket since last June and it's been good. Better than Vonage, in my opinion. Our call quality and service reliability is better than when we were on Vonage. One thing to keep in mind if you are switching is that you DO have to tell Vonage to cancel your service. Vonage has tied our number up in their system, so if a user of Vonage service tries to call our home number (Sunrocket), the caller will not be able to get through to us. Anyone calling from any other service can call us, though.

I forgot to mention 1 bad part about Sunrocket, but this may just have to do with any call routed over the internet. Today I tried to call an 800 # and got a message that I could not call the number from my area. It was a call to a local service company, so they must restrict how far away they accept calls to their toll free number. Luckily they have a regular number (had to google for it) so I could call them.

Not on topic, but when I had a regular land line, and I would need to make a long distance call I used a calling card from SamsClub. My call would show up as coming from Colorado...even though I am in WI.

Hi All,

Question!

If I drop my land line won't I also lose my DSL?

I have SBC/Att phone service. I also have SBC/Att DSL. I've thought about dropping my land line and just using my cell phone for a phone...don't really need a land line. But the idea of the SunRocket or Vonage is nice if I can do it without losing my SBC/Att DSL once I drop the land line.

Thanks!

Michelle

On March 25, 2005, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ruled 3-2 against utilities commissions in Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, and Louisiana who sought to force BellSouth to unbundle their DSL service from their local phone service. Qwest Communications currently provides naked DSL service voluntarily, and Verizon Communications has announced plans to follow suit, and already provides it in some areas.

Sounds like you have to get cable unless your carrier will allow you to get naked DSL.