WARNING: Circo 4pc Pajama Sets from Target-small wrist openings!(UPDATE 1/1/07)

jcarr492

okay, my daughters both got pajama sets from their grandmother for christmas..these were 4pc sets from target...they came with a short sleeve tee w/shorts and a long sleeve tee w/pants. They had gingerbread men on it and peppermints I believe. My younger daughter wore the long sleeve tee one to sleep two nights ago. When she woke up in the morning she was crying that her wrist burned and itches. I looked at it with my morning eyes and saw two welps..one on either side of her wrist. Strange. Kinda like hives breaking out..or mosquito bites when kids are allergic to them. I put some hydrocortisone cream on them and told her to let me know if she breaks out somewhere else, thinking..its either a hives outbreak or something bit her. Well, yesterday, later in the day..she kept complaining how her wrist hurt so much. I took a better look at it and saw a light ring going completely around her wrist, but the sides where the welps where were really red and wider than the top and underside where it made the ring. Then I thought.."did she sleep with a rubber band or pony tail holder around her wrist" and asked her that. She said no..that the sleeves were tight when she put the shirt on. I told her.."well..thats just silly..no sleeve is that tight". I mean, carters sleepwear is snug..but not to the extent of THAT tight. She said she had to force her hand in. I finally told her yesterday after supper to bring me her shirt. She did and I KID YOU NOT....those darn sleeve openings for your hands/wrists...is no bigger than between and quarter...smaller than a silver dollar!!!!!!!!!!!! I have NEVER seen openings that small for a sleeve for a child in a size 7/8!!!!! Babies yeah..but not a child! I had her bring me my other daughters too since they were same sizes and identical sleepwear...hers is the SAME!!!! NO WONDER! The darn thing was so tight on her wrist that it literally burned her wrist!!!!!! like someone rubbed yarn across her wrist. I called target and told them and they were so nasty...she said, "well, do you have a reciept?" I told her no..because they were a christmas gift. she said, "was there a gift reciept?" I said, no...they did not include one, but told me they got them at target. She said, "well..without a reciept, you can only exchange them for the exact type item..but those were clearanced out and are 50% less than what was originally paid for them." That is ridiculous!!! I wish they could SEE my daughters wrist!!!! She couldn't even touch it yesterday! I'm so freaking mad!!! I've decided I guess I can cut the sleeves off to make them short sleeved and just hem them up..but I want them to know about these shirts!! I'll see if I can get a pic of the sleeve and my dd's wrist real quick. BTW, my daughter is 7 and weighs only 38lbs..very petite..my older daughter is 8 and weighs 45lbs..she wouldn't even try to put it on. I don't know why my 7yo wore it knowing she had to push her hands thru and felt it was tight..but she was excited to sleep in it and did without telling me it felt tight. I feel horrible.

We've had to cut the wrists off on pj's we bought at Target last year for DS. He couldn't even get his hand through. I am so sorry your dd was hurt!

I called Target corporate about an issue with a toy that broke, and they actually have an outside company that investigates "incidents" and they got back with me and fixed the problem. This is the number I called~ 1.800.440.0680, or email them. Click on contact us for the link...I could not post a link to the exact page

Is there anyway they can do a receipt lookup on the original purchase? I hope you are able to get some satisfaction and that your dd's arm feels better soon!

wow.. those are small! Poor thing. She must have been excited about wearing them... things like that drive me nuts and I have to change. :)

I cant believe that Target has such poor customer service and yet is such a big corp!

Let us know what happens... and good luck!

I agree that you should definitely bring it to their corporate's attention. If you get no where, the next option could be to turn to your local news station. Around here we have something called turn to 2. It's the next option after not getting your problem resolved with the corporation - I bet that would get their attention. Those sleeves could potentially be harmful to someone, they should be recalled in my opinion. I hope that your daughter heals quickly and I'm sorry that this happened to your family.

That is terrible! I have a 9 month old and her sleeve openings are often bigger than that, if not elastic. That is crazy! If you could find out if whoever purchased them used a credit card, that would probably be handy because then you could prove that they were purchased there. I would think, however, that the labeling would identify them as a Target item. I'm so sorry your daughter had to go through that. Kids do the craziest things sometimes. I hope her wrist is feeling better. I can't wait to hear what corporate has to say about this. I would think that they'd want to appease you very quickly for fear of a lawsuit in today's sue happy society. You could also contact the Better Business Bureau to put it on record.

That is terrible! I have a 9 month old and her sleeve openings are often bigger than that, if not elastic. That is crazy! If you could find out if whoever purchased them used a credit card, that would probably be handy because then you could prove that they were purchased there. I would think, however, that the labeling would identify them as a Target item. I'm so sorry your daughter had to go through that. Kids do the craziest things sometimes. I hope her wrist is feeling better. I can't wait to hear what corporate has to say about this. I would think that they'd want to appease you very quickly for fear of a lawsuit in today's sue happy society. You could also contact the Better Business Bureau to put it on record.

They are Circo, which is Target's brand.

They are Circo, which is Target's brand.

There's no getting out of it for them, then. These are clearly defective since more people also experienced this problem. It's not like one pair was made wrong. Whoever has them should definitely contact corporate. I wonder how they handle something like this. Bulletin to the stores, maybe? I would post a thread with the product in the title or modify this title. Maybe more people who had the problem will notice it.

Really push the case, that is horrible, she is lucky nothing happened to her hands, it could have cut off the circulation and than you would be dealing with a bigger problem. I definitely would get with Corp and also the manager of your Target. See if your mom put this on her CC or check, than send the items back to her and have her return them as defective. We had the same problem with ones bought from Disney, they were so darn small, my daughter is petite but tall so I always have to get them at least a size or two too big and when she could even get it on, there is something wrong. I think since the clothing is farmed out of country, they are not paying attention to quality and standards of size. It is amazing how the sizes can vary that much even within the same brand. You could call the store back and talk with the manager, no one else and say that if this isn't taking care of than you will pursue this in court, this could be grounds for a class action suit. Also, there are agency's that monitor toys and childrens clothing and safety hazards. Since this isn't isolated to one set but both sets were the same, I definitely would also contact the appropriate agency, you can't be the only one having this problem and a little one is going to be seriously hurt with this type of defect. Just think of the children who are alittle more plump and their hands.

I just called the 800 number and she was of no help. Just told me that if we had a reciept or not..they could scan my moms check to see if they find the reciept and they are sorry for it causing her discomfort??? LOL I told them its not just us, that more people are complaining of the same thing on a message board I frequent to. So she told me to call the store manager. So I called our Target and spoke with Jonathon, the mgr on duty and he seemed really nice. Told me to please bring them back, with a reciept if possible, if not they will scan moms check to see if they find it..if not then they'll use our license to make an exchange. I told him I have pictures of my daughters wrist too so he can see the markings it left on her wrist..and those don't even show how bad they were the day before! These were taken last night..two nights after the fact. He was apologetic and said he hasn't had anyone complain YET over them and hasn't recieved any emails or calls from corporate over them yet either. But to bring them back. Now we'll see if they let me get pjs for the full price or at clearance price...if thats the case..forget it...I'll take them home and cut off the sleeves to make them short sleeved.

I would remind him that you have photos and EXPECT full price toward new pajamas of a comparable full price. They have a liability issue here. This should not be treated as a normal exchange. Your daughter was injured by a defective product and they're lucky you only want some new pj's and are not handing them a doctor bill or a bill for the medication you used to treat it. You should be able to pick out any pajamas that you want from the store. I would expect nothing less. It sounds like the manager is willing to rectify this situation, so be sure to go to the store when he's on duty.

I just want to say, we have the same PJs, and BOTH my Ds said they hurt them. They were to wear to bed on Christmas eve, but neither ended up wearing them because they hurt to much. I have size 7/8 & 10/12. Maybe I will send them a letter as well!

My dd is 17 months, and wears 12 months in most clothing. i got these for here for her christmas pjs. i bought 18 months in case they shrunk, even though she wears 12 months in fleece pjs. i know sometimes those cotton sets can shrink over time. anyway, she cried when i put her arms thru the sleeves. i thought she was just making a fist, but no, they are that awful.

My kids don"t shop at Target anymore for clothes. I had more problems there when my youngest (about 10 then) bought clothes. I got to the point where I decided everything they

sold was a "second" and they never held up after a couple of washings either. It wasn't worth the savings. I feel badly for you and would make a really BIG stink!

wow.. those are small! Poor thing. She must have been excited about wearing them... things like that drive me nuts and I have to change. :)

I cant believe that Target has such poor customer service and yet is such a big corp!

Let us know what happens... and good luck!

"Poor customer service"? Because they were following their own policy?

To the OP, I think it's best to take it up with the manufacturer. Circo (I believe that's who you said made the pajamas) made a defective product and if you want them pulled from the shelves, you must go through the manufacturer.

To the OP, I think it's best to take it up with the manufacturer. Circo (I believe that's who you said made the pajamas) made a defective product and if you want them pulled from the shelves, you must go through the manufacturer.

It's poor customer service when a CHILD IS INJURED and the company doesn't care! Sure, there are ALWAYS exceptions to the rules! This should be one of those times.

It's poor customer service when a CHILD IS INJURED and the company doesn't care! Sure, there are ALWAYS exceptions to the rules! This should be one of those times.

Exactly! If a customer is injured by a product from a store, namely a signature brand, the store should be bending over backwards to make things right! A simple apology and replacement can often go a long way to avert an irate customer.

The logic isn't good. Just because they have a policy, doesn't mean they provide good customer service. Many situations describing Target make it seem that their policy *is* poor customer service.

Thank You for posting this! Although my daughter is older and wears t shirts with her pj bottoms I will be passing this information to a couple of friends with younger childern! This is so dangerous to the childs hands and wrists. I would think they would do an immediate recall. So sorry to hear of your daughter's injury, I hope she's doing better!

And your poor mother must feel terrible!

She is getting better on her wrist. We can actually touch it now without her wincing and pulling it back. It still has red marks..don't know if it will be scarred or not..they look a little lighter, but still red. She asked me today if they were going to go away or not. Poor baby. My mom did find her reciept after all and after speaking with the manager, Jonathon, we took them in today. He was on duty and the CS employees came to look at her wrist too. He felt badly and we were able to get more pajama's for the price my mom paid for them. When walking thru the clothing..they had the same pajamas on the 30% off rack for 11.xx. No one said they were pulling them or anything. I've done all I can do..I've emailed and called Target Corporate to let them know, I've emailed the CSPC too. I just don't want another child going through that pain because they don't realize how TIGHT the wrist actually is...especially an infant that can't express if something is hurting them. I did see them tag them with defect tags..so I don't know. They'll probably just put them back on the floor. They usually do.

I'm sorry to hear of your little ones injury and glad to see its healing. When you buy shirts you just never think of looking at the arm part to see if the holes are big enough or if its made right. But now since your post I'm making sure to look.

thanks

Linda

The logic isn't good. Just because they have a policy, doesn't mean they provide good customer service. Many situations describing Target make it seem that their policy *is* poor customer service.

A simple apology and replacement can often go a long way to avert an irate customer.

If I read the OP's post correctly, she didn't say that she had talked to a manager initially about returning the item. Therefore, the person she talked to must have been a regular employee who was following store policy. This employee does not have any power to do much of anything except to follow the guidelines that he/she was trained to go by. God forbid this employee didn't want to lose his/her job. The OP also said that she talked to the manager and he was apologetic and told her to bring the pajamas back. It appears as though something is being done. What more do you want to happen?

The company doesn't care? Yet, the OP said that the manager was apologetic..