HDTV deal at Walmart?

kosarfan

I am looking for a CRT HDTV (don't need flat b/c it is going in enteratinment center anyway) and found this deal at Walmart:

it can be found at this after walmart.com

catalog/product.do?product_id=4810688

The message board won't let me have the actual link but for $348 it is an RCA 27" HDTV w/ Built-In Digital Tuner, HD27F754T

Is there a better deal out there and am I missing anything on this????? I've searched everywhere and haven't found any deals close to this.

Thanks!!

The resolution of the TV is only 480i and is considered EDTV.

EDTV generally refers to video with picture quality beyond what is broadcastable in NTSC or PAL, but not sharp enough to be considered HDTV.

You can watch HDTV content on it but it will be down converted from 720p to 480i.

You should look for tv that is atleast 720p.

BestBuy has 1 for $415 that is 1080i. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7601491&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050021&id=1130981881933

Copied this from the specs....indicates that it is 1080i......is this not the real deal????

Technology: CRT

Diagonal Size: 27"

V-Chip Control: Yes

TV Type: High Definition TV

Display Menu Language: English, French, Spanish

Comb Filter: 5-line digital

Image Aspect Ratio: 4:3

Color Temperature Control: Yes

Audio Controls: Balance, bass, treble

Display Format: 1080i

CRT Type: TruFlat

You want to look at what the resolution is. The display type is just the signal it can accept. It wil be down converted to 480i, which is just a little better than a standard definition tv. The tv at walmart you are looking at, the resolution says:

Resolution480 Horizontal Lines, interlaced (480i)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDTV this explains the difference.

just got off the phone with RCA and they verified that it will display at resolution 1080i. They said it will display both, if analog it will be at 480i and if hd input it will be 1080i. I think I am going to go with this......any other reason I shouldn't?????

This one is highest rated according to Consumer Reports for Tube TV's.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=KD34XBR970&Dept=tvvideo&CategoryName=tv_34to36TVs

The HDMI cables are like $20 on amazon.

Here's what CR said about the RCA

Fair overall, but with poor HD picture quality and only fair for DVD and standard-definition images. Low priced, but there are better choices. It has an electronic notepad feature that pops up either at a chosen time or at power-on, but we found entering the letter characters was tedious. Film-based image motion compensation feature worked very well. Overall, it is slightly difficult to use. The remote is difficult to use in low light. Short (3-month) labor warranty and in-home warranty. Images appeared very soft. The darker portions of the image had poor fidelity -- moderately dark images appeared black and lost detail. With standard-definition and DVD video, black portions of the image didn't stay black as the program changed from a dark scene to a bright scene. It lacks an HDMI input -- most high-definition TVs now offer it. Remote has small buttons.

I'm leaning towards this..........Samsung 27" SlimFit HDTV (TXS2782H) - Amazon has it for $500 free shipping

Good choice! I picked up the 27" Samsung Slim Fit (non-HD) over the summer, to replace the RCA that burned out, and love it! I got mine from Circuit City, bought it online when it was on sale and paired the sale with the 10% off coupon, then picked it up in the store. You should check out their price, there should still be a vaild 10% off $199+ coupon available.