Need help+advice on satellite TV

mugs

I need:

- 4 receivers, at least one with DVR. I know DirectTV charges $5 extra for TiVO, is that $5 extra PER DirecTiVO receiver, or $5 for the service regardless of the number of receivers? What about Dish Network? Do they charge extra for DVR, and is it a per-recorder fee?

- Basic cable channels (including local)

Which service would be better to go with?

How much am I going to pay for:

- Equipment? Where's the best place to buy it?

- Monthly service?

I had DishNetwork for 3 years. We dropped it in August when Cable/cable modem finally moved out here to the boonies!! Our bill was $108 a month for 2 receivers-1 a PVR (same as DVR, but OLDER LOL) and one just a receiver and all the channels, including the super WB's and UPN's and locals. Locals started out at $4.95, but were up to $5.95 when we left them. They charge per receiver, but they build one into the package usually. Check out the package deals in your area and see what might interest you. You can look on the site for the list of rates. They were fine as far as service went, but occasionally the customer service people were a bit dense.

Does this sound right? I selected 4 receivers, this is the prices they gave me:

--------------------------------

Digital Home Advantage Plan

$50 setup fee (refunded on first month's bill)

Free equipment

Monthly fees

Monthly Equipment Fees

DVR FEE $4.98

Programming

America's Top 60 Plus (with locals) $34.99

Digital Home Advantage (2 Receiver) $5.00

-----------------------------------

I'm not sure why it says 2 receivers on the monthly fees instead of 4. I also selected 2 DVRs, they charge the same monthly fee as if I had 1, is that right?

I changed the other two receivers to DVRs, this is what I got:

-------------------------------------------

One Time Fees

Digital Home Plan Activation Fee

$49.99

One Time Cost: $49.99

Monthly Equipment Fees

DVR FEE $4.98

DVR FEE $4.98

DVR FEE $4.98

Programming

America's Top 60 Plus (with locals) $34.99

Digital Home Advantage (2 Receiver) $5.00

Digital Home Advantage (3 Receiver) $5.00

---------------------------------------------------------

They're charging me for 3 DVRs instead of 4... I guess the first must be free? And I'm a bit confused about why they're charging me one extra receiver fee in the first plan I posted, and 2 in this plan, when I have the same number of receivers. Maybe it's based on tuners? But if so, I really have 8 tuners, 2 in each. This is why I've never gotten satellite radio yet. :mad:

DirecTIVO is simply awesome, the BEST DVR I have ever used.

I'll look into DirecTV's options.

With Dish Network it's looking like we could get the 120 channel package with 3 DVRs and one regular receiver for about what we're paying for cable now... pretty good deal.

Is there a setup fee?

Installation fee?

Contract?

Early termination fee?

Local channels offered?

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/getdish/dha/index.shtml

- No equipment to buy

- No commitment

- Free DVR and HD upgrades

- Free installation

- Local channels included

- No additional outlet fee for dual-tuners

- Standard warranty

I honestly can't figure out what the "catch" is!

This is interesting:

Each of your receivers must be continuously connected to your same land-based phone line. A monthly $4.99 Additional Out let Programming Access Fee applies to the second tuner of each DISH 322 or DISH Player-DVR 522 receiver. This fee will be waived on a monthly basis for each such receiver that DISH Network confirms has been continuously connected to Customer's same land-based phone line. DISH Network's confirmation process shall be the sole method utilized to determine if your monthly additional outlet programming access fee(s) will be waived. A $4.98 per month DISH Network DVR Service fee will be charged for each DISH Player-DVR 510 or 522 receiver; this fee will be waived as long as you subscribe to either America's “Everything” Pak or Latino “Everything” Pak. There is a $5.00 Change of Service Fee for each programming change except a $10.00 Change of Service Fee for each Adult programming change.

I assume that's to prevent you from stealing service, but how strict are they about that? If you unplug the thing for 30 seconds to put a splitter in or something, do they charge you?

Sucks that I'll have to run a phone line to every TV in the house.

Alright I think I understand now... I set it up to have DVRs for 3 rooms and a standard receiver for 1 room. I think what they did is they gave me two DVRs and one standard receiver, and one of the DVRs gets shared between two rooms. That's why there are only two DVR fees and two extra receiver fees. That should work. I'm going to have to call them and make sure everything is what I expect it to be and that there aren't any hidden charges.

Before you sign up directly through Dish Networks I would also take a look at VMC Satellite:

VMC Satellite has a great deal going on for Dish Network satellite systems. You must be a new subscriber to take advantage of these deals.

Simply sign up for a year of programming (as low as $29.99 per month) to be billed monthly on your credit card. You receive free installation for up to 4 rooms, FREE digital video recorders in all rooms (record up to 100 hours) and up to two Free HDTV receivers if you choose to receive HD programming from Dish Network. Local channels are also free where available.

I'll have to give them a call too.

Yes! You really do get all of the equipment you need to receive satellite TV in up to four rooms. (Each room can watch different channels at the same time.)

They're deliberately vague there, I'm guessing that means you get two two-tuner receivers. That won't work for me, I need three receivers, because only two of the rooms are close enough to each other to run the wires.

This is interesting:

I assume that's to prevent you from stealing service, but how strict are they about that? If you unplug the thing for 30 seconds to put a splitter in or something, do they charge you?

Sucks that I'll have to run a phone line to every TV in the house.

You won't need to plug in the phone line if you don't order PPV.