Do toys seem harder to find this year?

Sunshyne

I am not talking about the "hot" toys like TMX Elmo, Wii and PS3. I am talking about normal everyday toys that just aren't there.

I am not sure if my perception is off because I am always done shopping around the beginning of December. Just this year, I had to push things up a bit because we just bought a house, and I refuse to use plastic or savings for Christmas. I waited on buying some things until December 15th (payday) because I had seen them everywhere and figured they'd still be there.

Ordinary toys that were everywhere a few weeks ago are very hard to find now, IMO. I gave up on the Bounce and Spin Zebra and just bought it from buy.com. But I know even 2 weeks ago, they were everywhere. This past weekend, I called about 40 stores looking for it between Harrisburg and Baltimore.

I also had a hard time finding the Shake N Go Speedway, which I know for a fact was out last Christmas. I finally had a TRU manager tell me Saturday night that he had them and was holding them for the sale on Sunday. I told him I didn't care about the $5 off at this point because my son is 5 and asked Santa for it! He told me to go back yesterday morning, which I did. Even then, I had to find him and he got them out of the back for me. He only had one box of 3 which is why he was holding them.

I just wondered if it's always like this or if this is just a year where production isn't meeting demand. Any thoughts? I've never in my life called that many stores looking for something and came up empty handed! Everywhere I go, there are people asking employees for toys that are OOS. Of course, I have a feeling I will walk into Wal-Mart on Christmas Eve and they will have a stack of them...lol

I had the same problem with the bounce and spin zebra - LOL. It has been sold out at our TRU for the last month at least. I called around to a couple of Walmarts close to my house and nada. Then I called a Walmart down the highway in a smaller city just enough outside the metro that it really isn't a suburb. They had TONS. Seriously those zebras were everywhere. They also had some the BF toys still - my Walmart down the road doesn't have jack left from BF and this Walmart has the big Bratz doll, the Dora, the TV/DVD combo - dang.

I have to agree that I don't think the manufacturers are making as many as in years past - or maybe stores aren't ordering as many because they don't want to be stuck with a bunch of left over toys after Christmas? Is this an economy issue? Don't know but it is frustrating - for real.

The zebra shipped today! So I think it will be here in time...it's coming DHL! I am so happy!

I had called Walmart's and Kmart's out of major areas, and they didn't have it either. I think KB Toys gets overlooked for things sometimes, and I was able to find tons of the Cars diecast there. Sure, they were 80 cents a piece more than Walmart, but they were actually on the shelf!

My nephew's birthday is January 9th, and I always buy his birthday stuff when I am Christmas shopping because many years ago when he was 3, I went out in January, and the shelves were bare of toys.

I know so many people that just go out and grab whatever they see. There's nothing wrong with that, but I don't do it that way anymore. I've found if I don't research the toys a little, I end up with stuff that never gets played with or breaks within a month.

Thanks :) I've never not been able to get something I really wanted to get before at a store, so I was a bit stressed out.

I did also give up on the WWE TRU Exclusive cell cage though after they cancelled my order twice. I figured my nephew can get it for his birthday in February.

I've been checking the tracking every hour to see where the zebra is being shipped from, and it finally tells me...Allentown, PA. Less than 100 miles away! I don't have a delivery date, but I'm almost positive it will make it here within the next 3 days. Maybe today...

I've been running around trying to find the Digi Makeover system. They were on the shelves in abundance a month ago. Just when I had given up hope. I go into Walmart and check the usual spot and there was one just sitting there.:yup: Boy was I happy. My shopping is now finally done.

I've noticed this too. Luckily I just bought items this year when I saw them. Price Matched if they had them at a cheaper price. Yesterday I was at Walmart and the toy shelves are literally empty in some areas. Even board games that are usually sitting there (common ones) are gone. Its crazy this year

You would not believe how many places I have been to looking for an Etchasketch. A regular sized one, not the small one. I'd been looking for a month and told everyone I know to be on the lookout. My MIL FINALLY found one at Fred's. I had forgotten that Fred's even existed.

I understand exactly what you mean. One of the things we were going to get was a video rocker chair for our son. Well we decided against it because we didn't want it scratching up the hardwood floors. We decided on a beanbag chair instead. Do you think we could find one? Nope! We looked everywhere and nobody has them. I checked on line and everything I found was way out of our price range. :(

I understand exactly what you mean. One of the things we were going to get was a video rocker chair for our son. Well we decided against it because we didn't want it scratching up the hardwood floors. We decided on a beanbag chair instead. Do you think we could find one? Nope! We looked everywhere and nobody has them. I checked on line and everything I found was way out of our price range. :(

Did you check Lillian Vernon?

This is why Im buying some christmas items online for next year. So close to christmas the deals are amazing. If I know they will want it, Im buying it. So still taking advantage on shipping deals even though I won't receive till a week or so after this christmas. I got $2000 from my grandparents so buying a few deals now for next year 9 (just never know the financial situation come next christmas)

A co-worker went to walmart on Wednesday evening (she was just starting her shopping for her 2 kids!?!) and came to work on Thursday complaining that walmart was out of almost everything. I don't want to sound mean, but DUH!!! It was 5 days before CHristmas!

On the up side, the item I purchased on ebay as a last minute impulse buy on Wednesday came on Friday! WOW! I wasn't even expecting it to be here in time but figured 4 year old wouldn't care if he got another gift a few days late!

I know I sent my mil on the hunt for some toys for me because even early on they are hard to find.

And toys are getting so expensive. I used to spend $30 each on 1 big toy per kid, now I am lucky if anythng is under $30 and most the stuff they want is between $50 and $100 x 5 kids, that's just crazy!