Need Help! Gift for Grandmother

guilliam

I need help in coming up with a gift for my grandmother. She lives in a nursing home so she doesn't have room for much, so it needs to be small and/or useful. In the past I have given her picture frames with the great grandkids pictures in them, clocks, lottery tickets (she LOVES to scratch these, but now my sister has stolen my idea!!). But now I am out of ideas!

Does she like to write letters? I made my 'honorary grandmother' stationery. She is a GB Packers fanatic, so there is a logo at the top, address labels with her families addresses, return address labels, and preprinted envelopes of both sizes with her return address. I will throw in a book of stamps and she'll be set.

Stamps are great to give the elderly, or maybe you could give her vouchers for a lunch together. Perfume, candy, or other things to spoil her could be nice too.

Some very nice handcream (nice scent not overpowering) Think of something really nourishing for the winter months when the furnace is going full blast.

An easy on/easy off sweater that is washable (they are a bit hard on stuff in the laundry room). Find a great unique color like violet, etc.

Do they do hair there? A gift certificate to get her hair done a few extra times.

My son is a nurse at a nursing home and he said a lot of the residents have bird feeders outside their windows. In fact he got a shepards crook and a small bird feeder for one of his "sweet little ole lady" residents. They get a lot of enjoyment out of them. And the staff are usually pretty nice about filling them if the resident isn't able to. The birdseed can be kept in a popcorn tin or tupperware container.

When my Great Aunt was in a nursing home she liked bright costume jewelry...especially "holiday" pins and such. Shw wore them on her sweaters for lunch and other "in house" gatherings.

OR turn a sweatshirt into a bed jacket. Just remove neck and bottom ribbing, cut up the front (I usually curve the upper front a little). Use bias tape binding to cover all the raw edges (I make mine from fabric, but no reason the Wrights package won't work). The sweatshirts is warm, and fairly laundry proof. You could add patch pockets on the front with matching fabric.

A couple years ago I made my husbands grandmother one of those no-sew fleece blankets. She loved it. She was always cold so she was able to use it a lot and she had really appreciated the fact that I had put the thought into picking out a special design for her and then making it. They really don't take any time at all to do.