Gift Ideas for Girl Friend

bohus

OK...I feel like a total idiot. I've known this lady for about 6 months and haven't a CLUE as to what to get her for Christmas. Here is a bit about her: She's 52, been a high school Gov't teacher for about 20 years, she loves animals (she's recently acquired 2 kittens), loves the occasional glass or two of Berenger (sp?), and likes to visit second hand shops. She's been divorced for about 20-25 years, lives alone...well, with her two kitties I should say...LOL! She also is pretty independant. I occasionally bring her flowers, of which she says yellow roses are her favorite. But, I don't want to give her flowers for Christmas as it would take away from the surprise of me bringing them when I see her the rest of the year. Besides, I don't want to over do it...LOL! She believes in saving for the future and is "comfortable" financial wise...not rich, but comfortable in that she has a good sized nest egg stashed, nice sized bank account, as well as other instruments of finance she can fall back on during hard times or buy pretty much what ever she wants. She's not into candy or sweets as the both of us are trying to watch our weight.

So, what say ye most knowledgeable folks? What shall it be for her? Any and all ideas are most welcomed! Thanks in advance for any help y'all can provide.

From what you wrote my opinion is that she would appreciate something personal...have you considered taking her away for a nice weekend together.

Does she like to read? What about books on tape (something like audible.com) Does she like to try new things? You could get her dance or cooking classes (to take together of course).

Just a few ideas...but jewelry is always nice too! :yup:

HTH

how much do you want to spend?

what about a nice Coach or Dooney and Bourke purse? How about a new bag for work? LL Bean and Lands End have nice ones that you can have her initials put on. Does she work out? maybe an iPod that she can use at the gym or when she's out walking/running? Do you have a Brighton store near you? They are really nice, unique "girlie" gifts. Or how about a simple piece of jewelry? (no diamonds) A CG to a spa that she can use over winter break.

Hope this helps

How about you make her a basket containing various items relating to things she likes (e.g., cat "stuff" (cat dish towels, oven mits, figurines that resemble her own cats), spa "stuff" (lotions, body wash --print the coupon off for the free 12.50 item with purchase of any item at Bath and Body Works. You can find it in the other forum or do a search for Bath and BOdy Works. Add a lovely cat book and bag of chocolate/candy and you have a thoughtful basket :)

Location could help, I'm a whiz at weekend getaways...

If not, what about pearls? (I got my last set at Kmart's 70% off sale, hehe) A gift basket of teaching supplies would be appreciated, or maybe offer to help her grade midterms over a candle lit dinner.

maybe a gift certificate to a clothing store? teachers clothes can get sooo boring after a while. (trust me!)

This is all coming from the woman whose husband gave her money for a new camcorder and didn't really care, but nearly cried when he brought her a new fishing pole. LOL!

Many thanks to all who responded...ameyers123456, asilenceblossom, sheshagirl, suzanneb, KuponKlipper, and setlok73...you all had WONDERFUL ideas and I SO appreciate you taking the time to answer. For some reason though, the spa GC strikes me as intriguing...she LOVES to be pampered like this and would be something she could use anytime. Thank you suzanneb for the idea. I'm going to make some calls immediately to see what I can set up. Thanks again everyone...y'all are very kind and helpful people!

bohus

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all...I just wanted to say thank you to all those who responded to my request. I went with the spa idea as she LOVES to be pampered that way. Anyway, I gave it to her a bit early as she will be out of town for Christmas and guess what? She LOVED it! Special thanks to sheshagirl for making the suggestion. I received an email from her today and in it she said she STILL can't get over it. Thank you once again, for helping me with this gift ideas. I am SO grateful for your kindness...especially to you Ms sheshagirl. Happy holidays to you all!

Bohus