My new HP laptop from BB is no longer perfect...

EliteABombAZ

But I guess that's life when you have a 3 year old. When I came home from work... I found my laptop on the bricks next to my fireplace... which I would never set it on... some minor scratches on the side and on the bottom... nothing to affect functionality... but still... it is no longer perfect. :(

I work at BB and I know that people shop BF to get the deals...but I mentioned to every single person who was buying a laptop about how our service plan covers accidental damage and liquid spills (mfgr warranty does not cover these). Most said no (which I expected and was completely fine with), but one liquid drenched or dropped, cracked screen laptop is all it takes to make it worth it.

No, I don't drink the kool-aid, and I've been a techie for a long time, and even I spend the money on the plans!

I'm at home and I don't have my exact numbers on me, but all are $100 for one year, and the 3 yr plan is based on purchase price. I think the 3 yr plan is around $250. I realize that's a lot for what you paid for the laptop itself, but you also need to consider what the regular price of the machine is and the hassles you'll save by having Geek Squad fix any problems (and no overseas tech support calls :D ).

Also, you are correct - you do have 14 days to buy the plan after purchase (but 14 days means 14 days, not 15).

I'm at home and I don't have my exact numbers on me, but all are $100 for one year, and the 3 yr plan is based on purchase price. I think the 3 yr plan is around $250. I realize that's a lot for what you paid for the laptop itself, but you also need to consider what the regular price of the machine is and the hassles you'll save by having Geek Squad fix any problems (and no overseas tech support calls :D ).

Also, you are correct - you do have 14 days to buy the plan after purchase (but 14 days means 14 days, not 15).

Does the plan cover laptop batteries? I got the HP lappy at Walmart last year, and a month ago, the battery quit taking a charge.... I hope the same doesn't happen so soon with this one...

Does the plan cover laptop batteries? I got the HP lappy at Walmart last year, and a month ago, the battery quit taking a charge.... I hope the same doesn't happen so soon with this one...

That happend to my CC laptop from BF last year.. The battery crapped out last month

Usually you get a one year limited warranty, so that just barely ran out. Talk about bad timing. I have the same Pavillion laptop from WM last year and aside form some loose hinges on the monitor it's still going strong.

Not sure on the batteries, to be honest....again, I'm OFF today (woo hoo!). However, make sure that for the first month you have your laptop that you charge it completely and then unplug it and let the battery COMPLETELY drain. Charge up again and repeat. This conditions the battery so that it will accept the maximum charge.

With regular use, a battery should last to it's maximum capacity for a couple years. We are now finally selling OEM replacement batteries at BB for HP and Gateway.

If those prices are correct, or pretty close, then I'm surprised. That's what extended warranties cost 4 years ago at BB when laptops averaged well over $1000. With prices falling dramatically over the last two years I don't see how anyone can justify a warranty that cost more than half, or even the full price, of the original purchase. Rest assured you'll be able to buy a laptop BF next year for $199 or less ;^). Of course if you are buying a top of the line laptop, then that's a different story...

A couple of years ago I bought Dell "Gold Key Service" 3 years for $75. It has paid for it's self in Tech service.

Ahhh, children. They're made to look adorable, so we don't eat our young like animals do...lol!

I just bought an HP laptop from HP's official site. You have THE WHOLE FIRST YEAR to decide on purchasing the extended warranty...not sure how it works if you purchase an HP from elsewhere, though. :confused:

My hubby hated that I was set on buying a laptop instead of a desktop. He said they're more fragile and apt to fail. Well, I went ahead and purchased the all-inclusive 2-yr warranty from HP: ya know...the one where, if I drop it on his feet, they replace it. :D

Also, FYI, when talking to a Staples salesman, he stated that they have a 3-yr store extended warrranty that they offer, for purchase of course. The interesting thing with theirs is that, if you don't USE the warranty within that 3-yr span, they will refund your money! Sounded damn intriguing.

If those prices are correct, or pretty close, then I'm surprised. That's what extended warranties cost 4 years ago at BB when laptops averaged well over $1000.

You also have to remember the convenience factor...meaning, if your screen cracks, do you really want to hassle with getting a new machine, setting it up, transferring data, etc, if you only need a new screen?

If you are paying a rock bottom price for a laptop, I can understand just buying a new one - hell, if I paid $250 for one which worked great for a year and could transfer all my data all at once, great, I'd buy a new one too! However, for others, they would rather have someone else handle all the dirty work.

If you are shelling out $800 or more for a high-end laptop, one repair could cost as much as the extended warranty and then it pays for itself. I tell my customers about the option, and it's up to them if they want it or not. Most people who go for it are the ones who get a higher end laptop and intend on keeping it for a few years.