My BB wanted $30 for recovery discs for each computer!

Jasonlh1

Hello. I just wanted to know, when you got your ticket for computers, did they try to sell you recovery CD's for each machine? I thought that the manufacturer provided all the necessary CD's in the box. I bought both notebooks and emachines and the sales guy was mad that I did not purchase any recovery CD's. He stated that all computers in retail are sold without disks and that they will charge consumers for them. Anybody fall for this?

Well, he is correct, partly at least, in that HP/Compaq at least do not include recovery discs with your computer. On the other hand, when you first boot the PC, the machine will ask if you want to burn a set of recovery discs. HP/Compaq has a program they load that will burn one set of recovery discs from its "secret" hidden recovery partition.

My Best Buy wanted $58 to burn the discs....I did it this morning for the cost of 3 blank DVDs and some time. What a bargain!!

Hmmmm....AFAIK, IF the manufacturer still provides "Recovery Discs" they would be provided free of charge in the box. Some manufacturers, not sure which but Sony comes to mind, place their recovery software on a seperate partition of the harddrive. That's fine...unless your HD crashes.

Could it have been that they were trying to offer you a third party recovery or anti-virus program like Norton or something? To me, that would be the most likely case.

But, to answer your question, I have never heard of any reputable retailer or manufacturer charging for an original set of recovery discs.

Well, he is correct, partly at least, in that HP/Compaq at least do not include recovery discs with your computer. On the other hand, when you first boot the PC, the machine will ask if you want to burn a set of recovery discs. HP/Compaq has a program they load that will burn one set of recovery discs from its "secret" hidden recovery partition.

My Best Buy wanted $58 to burn the discs....I did it this morning for the cost of 3 blank DVDs and some time. What a bargain!!

You beat me...WOW, I can't believe they were charging that much to do that. Wait a minute, on second thought, I can believe it.

At the BB in Dallas Texas they were doing this. I was shocked. They said only the 270.00 laptop only had a recover CD.

True, Toshiba, thankfully, still provides a recovery disc with their computers. But more and more of them are using a recovery partition on the hard drive and a program allowing you to burn one set of recovery discs from that partition. I remember HP doing this years ago, the first to start this I believe. Now, more and more manufacturers are following suit as it is a cost-savings measure.....it's much cheaper to slap a program into their HD image suite of programs and image them over and over to all the hard drives being installed in the computers vs. having to invest in CD or DVD burning machines and burning thousands and thousands of discs to include with the machines. While one machine's cost to include a disc is probably less than a dollar, after 100K are done, the savings add up.

The HP I bought from Walmart last year came with a recover disk... but my HP from Best Buy this year didn't. I burned them though.

Hmm... maybe I better check my software disks again. Maybe I'm thinking about the laptop. I don't know.. I remember calling HP for one of them. LOL.

Hmm... maybe I better check my software disks again. Maybe I'm thinking about the laptop. I don't know.. I remember calling HP for one of them. LOL.

My mistake... my HP from last year is the laptop....LOL.

Last year i got the laptop from Wally... but last month the battery quit charging. I was gonna just buy another battery, but when I saw how good the HP Laptop at BB was this year, I couldn't pass it up.

My HP laptop did not come with recovery disks, but has ability to burn DVD. My son got one,too, and he did burn his DVDs. But one never knows if the DVDs will really work when you need them to work...

However, I did find on HP web site a place to order some recovery DVDs. Sorry - I didn't bookmark it so I can't give URL. The disk set was FREE but for $15.85 postage. I did have to provide the model and serial number. I just ordered them so I haven't received them yet - I do hope they are not just burned on recordable media.

Jim

PS I must let you know that I work for HP, but I work on color laserjets. Since I was not logged in to the web site, I do not believe the price or availability had anything to do with my employment status.

Our HP computer was purchase in 2003 from Walmart. We had a problem and I called HP, they walked me through the problem. I asked them how come I do not have the disks, and they said it is already on the computer, and that I have the seal of authenticity and a registration number so all is good. I pitched a big old fit, and stated that I paid for the software, so I want my disks.they gave me a run around, but I stood my ground. Well five days later in the mail I got all my disks.;) Needless to say I don't need them anymore...LOL

My new computer has the XP professional on it from my brother. He built me a computer with a sweet 21" LCD monitor. Since he is an IT tech, while he loaded the operating program on it, and entering the activation code, it would't recognize it, so he called it and said it was the first time loading it on, they gave him a new activation code. Nice to have connections..lol

The HP that I bought from Walmart last year didn't come with a recovery disk either. I called HP and they wanted $30 to make me one.

If you need to reformat your harddrive (return it to original settings) for ANY reason, when you first turn on the computer, keep hitting the F8 button until the screen shows your how to reformat the harddrive... This is only on HP/Compaq though

If you need to reformat your harddrive (return it to original settings) for ANY reason, when you first turn on the computer, keep hitting the F8 button until the screen shows your how to reformat the harddrive... This is only on HP/Compaq though

Actually, if you need todo a recovery on HP/Compaq computers from the recovery partition, you hit F11 until the recovery program runs. The recovery program reformats the "C" partition then reinstalls the OS and all originally loaded software....basically reimages the hard drive back to its original shipping state.