Anyone try out the 32" Olevia yet?

Mustang7575

I still haven't gotten mine out of the box yet, soon though.

I had a question, I bought the phillips progressive scan dvd player to use with it, I think it puts out a 480p image. Will this look good or will I wish I had gotten the upconvert player? I just had never seen anything on the upconverters so I decided to pass this morning, but I can always shop around later for one.

I still haven't gotten mine out of the box yet, soon though.

I had a question, I bought the phillips progressive scan dvd player to use with it, I think it puts out a 480p image. Will this look good or will I wish I had gotten the upconvert player? I just had never seen anything on the upconverters so I decided to pass this morning, but I can always shop around later for one.

It depends on the TV really. I haven't done enough research to give you a good answer, but here is a link to another forum with a good description of what they do and whether they will improve picture performance (2nd post):

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/283440

BTW, I just tried out another movie, Batman (from 89) and it looked great as well, so I'm very happy with the performance of the player and TV.

This is good news for me. I'm a college student so this will be my main tv in my apartment and I don't move in until 23rd of dec (yea I kno the timing of that move sucks) so I won't open it until then...I got the protection plan and everything for it and even if its bad out of the box I'm still within my thirty days. I bought the up conversion player because I figured if can support 1080i why not let it lol. But I am looking for a cheap Monster brand hdmi cable my friends at bb can only get em for 40-60 bucks anyone else kno of a better deal I'd be happy to kno

This is good news for me. I'm a college student so this will be my main tv in my apartment and I don't move in until 23rd of dec (yea I kno the timing of that move sucks) so I won't open it until then...I got the protection plan and everything for it and even if its bad out of the box I'm still within my thirty days. I bought the up conversion player because I figured if can support 1080i why not let it lol. But I am looking for a cheap Monster brand hdmi cable my friends at bb can only get em for 40-60 bucks anyone else kno of a better deal I'd be happy to kno

go to: www.cablesforless.com

They have HDMI cables starting @ $11.99 3ft, $15.99 6 ft, $17.99 10 ft.

--some of the best prices out there.

The quality is good as well. I compared them to the $100+ Monster Cables and there was no difference in the picture quality on either of my HDTV sets. With Monster, you're definitely paying for the name.

They were really pushing the $50 and $170 "protection packages" which seemed to consist of a surge protector, HDMI cable, and LCD cleaner.

You can use a decent surge protector for $15-$20, bottle of eyeglass cleaner for $3, and a HDMI cable from eBay for $10-15.

what a rip-off. Yet there were people buying the things, even the more expensive ones. The staff was making it seem like that if you just plugged the TV into the wall it would immediately blow itself up.

i bought the protection plan because i always do on anything i cant fix myself, i also purchased that surgeprotector package jus because i thought $45 was a good value. they didnt force anything on me i told them exactly what i wanted and i guess from what i bought thats all they got all they wanted out of me. but the whole scare tactic is something we were taught to use in the computer department also. but thanks for the website ill check it out. Btw that package came with an hdmi do you think i should just used that one?

go to: www.cablesforless.com

They have HDMI cables starting @ $11.99 3ft, $15.99 6 ft, $17.99 10 ft.

--some of the best prices out there.

While I agree that Monster is overrated, try www.monoprice.com for your cable needs.

They are usually quite a bit less expensive than cablesforless; a 15' Male/Male HDMI cable will run you only $8.03 at Monoprice, while the same cable at cablesforless is $23.99.

Over the last two years, I have bought several DVI, HDMI and component cables from Monoprice and they all have worked flawlessly, not to mention their shipping is super fast! (And no, I do not work for them :) )

Guest spectraflamed
I have worked in several stereo stores over the years the reason they push the protection plans so hard is they are pure profit for the company. About the only thing I ever got an extended protection plan on was my big screen TV because I would not want to haul it in if something went wrong. As long as people keep buying protection plans these places will remain VERY happy.

I have the TV all hooked up in our living room. Since this is our second HDTV (we have a really nice Samsung one in the bedroom), we already had the HD cable service for it and the box in the living room could do HD too. :) So far, it does the job. I have noticed that when we switch to an HD channel there is a brief pause and the screen has a green picture to it, and then it kicks in fine. Going from HD to HD or HD to non-HD is fine though. My Samsung switches with no pause or any other quirks. It's a minor annoyance, but hey - it's a cheap HDTV. There is also the possibility that the "quirk" is from the cable box and not the TV. Either way, I can live with it.

While I agree that Monster is overrated, try www.monoprice.com for your cable needs.

They are usually quite a bit less expensive than cablesforless; a 15' Male/Male HDMI cable will run you only $8.03 at Monoprice, while the same cable at cablesforless is $23.99.

Over the last two years, I have bought several DVI, HDMI and component cables from Monoprice and they all have worked flawlessly, not to mention their shipping is super fast! (And no, I do not work for them :) )

Thanks Pokeyron. I had never heard of monoprice.com, but I did check them out and they are inexpensive, even better than cablesforless.com (where I normally shop)!! Both sites offer prices much lower than anything you'll find at a retail store. I'll give monoprice a shot.