Specs on "secret item" desktop?

8truths

Does anyone have the specs on the desktop? This looks suspiciously like the AMD 2800+ or 3300+ they have been selling for ages around $300.

If it's anywhere close to that, it's a pretty good deal for an email machine, or a Linux desktop or whatever else for a second-hand tower.

Actually, if it is the one with the Asus board, you can get PCI-X video card in there, too. Might not be a bad system to buy and then upgrade. (If you can't tell, I've bought a few of these in the past.)

Just wondering if I'm right on this machine, or if it is something else.

Is Wal-Mart using this as an open-ended offer?

I got to thinking about something I heard a few weeks ago in the stock report. They were saying that the major manufacturers were pressuring Wal-Mart to do a wholesale dump of desktops on Black Friday to make room for machines running Windows Vista.

Is this the dump? If so, is this why the ad is worded so vaguely?

Is Wal-Mart aiming to unload a ton of its low-end XP machines tomorrow?

I just got back from Wally World.

NO managers on duty today. Not one!

None of the associates know how many of each item are on hand, they don't know the specs on the items, and are not allowed to break open the shrink-wrap to even LOOK at them.

That sucks.

Number on hand was going to help me decide which store to hit first.

Oh well.

the reason there are no specs on this computer deal is because there are about 3 different computers, depending on the store....to my knowledge, the store i am at has two of the systems, and not the other one. so it is either an emachine or i think, a compaq...but then again, may have been HP.

We'll see, I guess. Thanks for the responses. That helped clarify.

I have a pretty easy WM to get in and out of. Even for the laptop last year there were still openings as late as 4:30. So, I can actually sleep a bit and not worry too badly about missing out on a significantly lesser deal with these desktops.

I couldn't find it in my Walmart. The only pallets I could find were the ones in the regular black friday ad. The pallets were in the middle aisle by groceries. There wasn't anyone in line yet. I tried to ask in electronics and they said the regular person was on break and they didn't know. I tried to wait, but then I just gave up. I wanted the $189 computer at BB, but when I went at 6PM, there were 30-50 people in line already.

6 PM, already? Geez.

I called my WalMart and asked them about the desktop. They said they'd only have 5, but as clueless as they were about most of the BF questions I asked, I am figuring they probably meant 5 of the $398 desktop. They didn't seem to know anything about the secret items, so I still think Wally is dumping their old desktop systems.

If they come close to the stock they had last year (20 laptops, plus about 40 more laptops with better specs for about $100 more than the first round were) I won't be too worried.

I figure, the real line is going to be for the 52" TV anyhow.

I called up my local Wal-Mart and found out that they have 5 eMachines desktops. Model W3506 http://www.e4me.com/products/products.html?prod=W3506 - Not sure what the other two models might be, but this system seems pretty decent to me. My laptop uses the same graphics chipset (ATI Radeon Xpress 200) and it plays Half-Life 2 just fine. Good enough for me. Plus, there's a PCI-E slot available if I want to upgrade. I think I'll be picking up a copy of WoW and breaking it in with a 48-hour gaming marathon, if I can manage to snag one. I'm pretty hardcore/militant about getting to Black Friday items. Should be easy. :) Only thing that sucks is, you need a monitor. I've got one... will be adding a better hard drive, a dvd burner, more ram, an extra fan, a better set of 2.1 speakers, a better mouse, and when I have the money, a new PSU and PCI-E video card. For $150, some spare parts, and a couple of affordable upgrades, I'll have myself a relatively kickass machine.

I am a newbie on BF. I went to WM and they have several W3506 computers on the shelf should I load one in a basket and wonder around the store for a few hours hoping it is the one. Thanks.

Well, I'd recommend you try talking to someone working in electronics. Just call them first. They'll probably tell you whether or not this is the model on sell. If they only have a few, I'd say that's probably it. They may also be offering different models at the same price. Talk to someone in electronics to find out and try to get the best bang for your buck. It certainly wouldn't hurt to load one in a cart and wait it out, but I'll bet you can find out whether you're wasting your time if you just ask.

I also just checked on the emachines web site, and as it turns out, free upgrades to Windows Vista Basic will be given for this model. Unless you're a graphics whore lusting after the Aero interface, this upgrade is pretty sweet IMO. If you want the prettier eye candy, you'll have to pony up cash for an extra 512mb ram and an upgrade over the Vista basic. Good luck.

I ain't leaving until 4. Our Wally never fills up that early. If five people want this desktop more than me, then they are welcome to it.

I figure, all things being equal, it's a good deal, but not worth spending hours on end sitting in Wally for. I got my laptop last year, so my bloodlust has been quenched. This year is just looking for a cheap machine.

Also, I'm still convinced there has to be more than 5 there, because it seems odd that their price point is only a little higher than Wall Street was asking them to dump the things for this year anyhow.

What a rush. Wow already back, can't believe it. The people at WM new nothing about the secret items. So we took 5 emachines to a scanner and bingo, W3506 was it so bought two and didn't have to wait as it was already in the computer. Thanks a bunch for your help.

Got the same model. Runs damn well, especially for $150. Has the PCI Express slot, plus SATA slots and the RAM is a single stick of 512 Mb.

It does come with the Vista upgrade.

Aside from dumping all the crap (Google Toolbar, AOL, McAfee), not much to complain about.

I wasn't lucky enough to get more than one. They moved them over with the 52" TVs and made us wait. Still, I was first in line, as all the college chuckleheads were fawning over the highly unnecessary projection TVs.

My plan work. Two straight Black Fridays go flawlessly.

I scored one myself. It's pretty bitchin. Sadly, Emachines defaced their own machines with hideous stickers. I suppose it's common practice anymore. But damn, talk about ugly, useless stickers. Have they NO shame? Makes my desktop look like a store demo model or something. Wish the video card didn't share RAM. Now I'll have to buy another stick of ram to even play most games. But once I pop in that RAM, World of Warcraft, here I come. If I had a gym membership, now would be the time to cancel it. And stock up on hot pockets and Pop-Tarts. :) Enjoy your exceptionally cheap systems, everyone!