GPS

TinaJ

I've been planning my shopping excursions for weeks, keeping an eye on the sales so I get the best deals for the dough, and NOW my hubby asks about a GPS???? I almost think I saw one in one of the lists, does anyone else remember? I'm sure enjoying keeping track of all the ads, only wish I'd known to keep an eye out for the darn GPS! Thanks!

TinaJ

What exactly are you looking for in a GPS, door to door routing or just finding your location while backpacking/camping/hunting? There are a lot of important features you might want/need depending on what you want to do. TomTom and Garmin are probably the two biggest players in the market at this point. There are of course other players but I'd say stick with one of these two to start with. TomTom tech support sucks but their product probably has the best user interface. Thankfully in the 3 years I have had TomTom (aka TT), I've only needed tech support twice and it wasn't because my device was bad but because I had a software question.

Garmin USED to have great tech support. Now they are at best mediocre. The last device I bought from them, a Nuvi 360, had incredibly buggy software and now I am on like the 7th release of it.

Post the models you might be interested in and I'll try to help.

Check out the Alpine Blackbird at $499 recently dropped from $699 retail. Incredible features for the price: Traffic Information Receiver built-in with 90 days free trial service(no extra module needed), MP3/WMA Player with FM Modulator so you can listen to songs and voice instructions via your car stereo, and 6 Million Point of Interest with mapping coverage of US, Canada, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, Alaska, Virgin Islands from Navteq.

Made by Alpine - makers of award winning Acura and Honda nav systems.

:)

What exactly are you looking for in a GPS, door to door routing or just finding your location while backpacking/camping/hunting? There are a lot of important features you might want/need depending on what you want to do. TomTom and Garmin are probably the two biggest players in the market at this point. There are of course other players but I'd say stick with one of these two to start with. TomTom tech support sucks but their product probably has the best user interface. Thankfully in the 3 years I have had TomTom (aka TT), I've only needed tech support twice and it wasn't because my device was bad but because I had a software question.

Garmin USED to have great tech support. Now they are at best mediocre. The last device I bought from them, a Nuvi 360, had incredibly buggy software and now I am on like the 7th release of it.

Post the models you might be interested in and I'll try to help.

im thiking

Garmin StreetPilot c320 GPS Vehicle Navigator

Garmin StreetPilot i5 Automotive GPS Navigator

Garmin StreetPilot c330 GPS Vehicle Navigator