Laptop comparison HP $379 vs Sony $599

rascalking

I think the HP is the best deal. I have an HP on my own. It looks like the processors are the same. Basically, the only difference i see is that the HP comes with XP, and SONY comes with WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER. Therefore i would go with the HP.

Media center is an add on to xp. My pc that I am on right now and it has windows xp with media center, and it was advertised as windows media center. So the sony will also have xp on it.

thanks for the reply. Is the HP screen as awesome as they say it is?

I went to BB today and I looked for the HP, they told me they don

't bring them out before the BB sale that, that specific notebook is for BB.

well.. I looked and found the HP intel core solo T1350 but it wasnt the DV6103nr it was DV6108nr, but I beleive them to be the same. there specs are identical.

So if this is the one I was looking at, it was VERY nice ;) Im planning on getting it myself. It felt light weight, from how much I could life it.. darn metal bars.. :rolleyes:

the mouse pad was really slick.. and the screen to me was BIG! and it looks full of color...

Ive never used a notebook before so Im not really sure if it was one of the best models, but from what I seen it looked pretty darn nice ;)

Happy BB/BF shopping :cheesy:

the only problem with the BB HP is that it's a doorbuster. so getting it could be an issue.

For myself, the only issue with the BB HP laptop is the video card choice.....really wish it had been a Radeon or GeForce built-in instead of the Intel graphics option. C'est la vie...cannot have everything, I suppose, esp. for that price. ;)

I am completly new to all of this, as far as the HP laptop, is it a doorbuster? and if it is, how come it says early bird next to it? does that imply we can buy it earlier? or does that mean its a "doorbuster"? and cannot buy it until the morning? please help clarify!! :confused:

I am completly new to all of this, as far as the HP laptop, is it a doorbuster? and if it is, how come it says early bird next to it? does that imply we can buy it earlier? or does that mean its a "doorbuster"? and cannot buy it until the morning? please help clarify!! :confused:

Door buster means it will be available at 5AM and almost guarantees it will sell out before the doors open.

My advice is to get in line early. Early doesn't mean midnight or 3AM, earlier.

fwiw, Sony's are generally nicer and faster than the HPs, but that is counter-balanced by much more questionable reliability. I am the proud owner of a Sony laptop, that is virtually unrepairable, only a year after warranty expired. -video chip becomes unsoldered from motherboard, $800 repair, with a 60 day warranty on the repair. Since it'll be the same mobo and same chip - why bother. So while I loved my Sony while it was working, will never again own a Sony laptop.

sigyn - I haven't seen an Intel-based laptop yet for under 800 bucks, with both a Core 2 Duo and a separate video card/chip. I'll be waiting for RossMans comparison chart, just in case (and in hopes) that I missed one.

I have been trying to find out which one to get also. I was leaning toward the HP, but then I see the Sony name and it's a good bit thinner also ! Every Sony product I have ever had has been a TOP. But I see that a good amount of people have not such good words for vaio's.

At my BB here in Atlanta they took the HP off the shelf Tuesday of last week, And never had the vaio on display ! They do however have a Sony Vaio core duo, on clearance for $ 799.

***Anyone know what time one should start lining up For BF ???

*** Also anyone know if these two notebooks are SSE2 or SSE3 ??? Thanks. And if you live in atlanta sleep in, ok.... :)

***Anyone know what time one should start lining up For BF ???

*** Also anyone know if these two notebooks are SSE2 or SSE3 ??? Thanks. And if you live in atlanta sleep in, ok.... :)

I cannot imagine them not being SSE3 capable as both are using very recent iterations of cpus.....Core Solo. Now, if ithe cpus were an old version, like an older Sempron or Celeron D, maybe it'd be a question, but not with the Core Solo cpus.

And, btw, if you are waking up to get to BB or Fry's in Atl, you're late............I'll already be there! :D

Thanks Hancock, for the info:) But how are you going to be at BB and Fry's at the same time. ;)

What time are you thinking about showing up :cool:

I can't wait for the Fry's ad. I love that store, and I think one would have a much better chance of getting what we want at fry's. Remember they just opended up store # 2. In Atl !!!!!!

Also what about Brandsmart. They also have some pretty good deals.

* If anyone has a Fry's or Brandsmart BF ad please post or tell us the notebook deals! :)

Thanks Hancock, for the info:) But how are you going to be at BB and Fry's at the same time. ;)

What time are you thinking about showing up :cool:

I can't wait for the Fry's ad. I love that store, and I think one would have a much better chance of getting what we want at fry's. Remember they just opended up store # 2. In Atl !!!!!!

Also what about Brandsmart. They also have some pretty good deals.

* If anyone has a Fry's or Brandsmart BF ad please post or tell us the notebook deals! :)

How do I cover two stores at the same time? Tag team.........wife does one store, I do the other. If I do Fry's, she does BB. :D

I know where the Fry's is off of Pleasant Hill Rd, but where is the other one? I live down near Savannah, about an hour or so SE of Augusta, GA. I come into Atlanta on I-75 out of Macon (I-16 to Macon and I-75 from there.)

why would you say :yawn: If you get there early and get a ticket for the HP then its yours. But please, you go for the sony :D

:tongue1:

Yes, everyone go for the Sony!!! But I still cannot figure out why anyone would really put the Sony over the HP, except for the name. Same processor, same amt. of memory, same HD size and speed, same screen size and both have their respective screen enhancement, both with modem, ethernet and wireless, same video accelerator and more than likely same motherboard/chipset, and almost identical in size and weight (the Sony appears to weigh 0.2# more than the HP), same warranty length.

So, is the Sony name worth the extra $220?

Hey Hancock, but what time do you think one should plan on standing in line ? I have never done the BF thing before ! The only thing about the HP is that it has that shiny finish over the trackpad:mad: , thats on the rest of the computer. Have to get used to the sticky trackpad. The sony trackpad is so much better BUT NOT worth the extra money !

** :tired: The other Fry's location is in Alpharetta here is a link :

http://www.frys-electronics-ads.com/frys-store-location.htm

:)