Need help on Star Wars toys

DS is just getting into Star Wars - he's seen the first 2 original movies and will see the 3rd before Christmas. I know he'd love to get Star Wars merchandise, but I am not sure what line would be best. He loves his Justice League action figures, so I thought maybe he might like the Galactic Heroes line. The packages say for ages 3-8. Does anyone have these, or any ideas on what toys might be a good place to start? He'll be 6 next month. I'd prefer no lego collections - I find pieces inside the sofa cushions, under beds and appliances, etc. Drives me crazy, LOL.

My son will be 6 in a couple of weeks and he has been playing with Star Wars toys for about a month. We just get the regular not Galactic Heroes. Also, he is really wants the Star Wars Transformers. I agree with you on the legos. He has one lego ship and it is too flimsy at that age to actually play with because the parts come off.

I have two boys, 7 and 6, and they have about every Star Wars toy imaginable. I must say that the one toy I put back at least twice a day is a basket of the Galactic Heroes. My two have quite a few of the regular Star Wars people also, but don't seem to be very interested in them at all. But every day, I can count on them playing with the Galactic Heroes figures. They even take them in the car and to some restaurants.

My 7 year old got the lightsaber TV game for his birthday when he turned 6 and it was a big hit. He played with that for quite a while until he "won" all the levels but still likes to drag it out occasionally.

Right now they are really into the Lego Star Wars Xbox game...if that is something you allow him to have.

I have a fan here as well. I cannot beleive how many light sabors we and they neighborhood kids have worn out. It is time for a new one already. My boys are 8 & 9, and have been hooked for about 3-4 years, and neither of them have liked the galactic ones. Go figure. In fact this year I have had to order a bunch off of ebay of the OLD ones. I highly recommend Star Wars legos video game, whether it be 1 or 2, for xbox, ps2, or even the pc version.

I have two boys, 7 and 6, and they have about every Star Wars toy imaginable. I must say that the one toy I put back at least twice a day is a basket of the Galactic Heroes. My two have quite a few of the regular Star Wars people also, but don't seem to be very interested in them at all. But every day, I can count on them playing with the Galactic Heroes figures. They even take them in the car and to some restaurants.

I was worried that in a year he might think they (galactic heroes) were too babyish. The neighbor boys are a year older than him and they're into the transformers and stuff. I saw the other figures in Target today. Do you think they are as durable as the galactic ones? We've had a couple Justice League figure "casualties" where their leg has broken off and are not fixable.

My 7 year old got the lightsaber TV game for his birthday when he turned 6 and it was a big hit. He played with that for quite a while until he "won" all the levels but still likes to drag it out occasionally.

is this the Plug n Play version?

Right now they are really into the Lego Star Wars Xbox game...if that is something you allow him to have.

I am not familiar with the game, is it quite easy to play? He can get frustrated easily on some of the xbox games.

Well, my kids are into "pretend play" and for some reason, those are what they like to use. I did think it was strange that the other more realistic figures have parts that move and these don't, yet they really like these over the realistic ones. Go figure. My 7yo has no interest in the transformers. It could also be because I have the Galactic Heroes in a basket under the TV so they see them more often than the other figures.

Yes, it was the plug and play version. He had it out again today...

I like the Lego version because the characters that they play never get "killed". If they take a lightsaber hit or something, they just break apart into lego parts and then "reappear" as whole a few seconds later and you can continue play...you don't have to start over. I was surprised how well my 6yo picked it up. They have 2 versions...the version with the original trilogy characters (Luke, Leia, Han) and the version with the second trilogy (Anakin, Padme). It also comes on lots of other platforms...Gameboy, Playstation, etc. There is also a "cheats" book available which comes in handy for those situations you just can't seem to figure out. (I need it all the time, but the kids have never had to use it yet!)

Hope that helps!

Lego SW is fairly easy. My 4yo has loads of fun with the game.

As for the Galactic heroes, I don't know..since your child is 6, I'd say just go with the regular action heroes. My son has had his Galactic heroes since he was 2(i'm a bit of a SW fangirl), and they are great for that age, but 6..I think he'd be kind of bored with them.

My son is 9. He has loved Star Wars since Episode 1. (His uncle is a huge Star Wars fan and has taken him to every movie on opening night.) We have more Star Wars stuff than I care to admit. lol He loves the lightsabers. He also likes the action figures (mostly the clones). He still likes the Galactic heroes but doesn't play with them as much as the regular action figures. The Lego Star Wars video games are his favorites. He still plays them all the time.

Well, you all have sold me on the SW Lego game. I think I'll go with II, only because he hasn't seen the prequel movies yet. Now I have to try to find it for a great price....

I decided against the Galactic Heroes and will stick with the regular ones.

About the lightsabers - every time I see them in the store, I always think of the poor unknowing kid doing lightsaber moves that got captured on video and ended up all over the internet. LOL

Thank you all for your suggestions!