What age for a cell phone

peekaboo

What age does everyone think is reasonable for a child to get a cell phone? My DD which will be 9 in Feb wants one sooo bad. I told her she was too yound and had no need for one. She does go camping with my friend and her family during the summer and she also is going places with her best friend next door alot so I was thinking maybe for her b-day get her the firefly but I just am not really sold no the idea but my SO wants to get it for her. So if anyone can give me some input if there children have cell phones and what age they got them I would appreicate it.:cheesy:

It depends on you and your child, My 9 year old has a regular cell phone she got it before school, Although she knows she can not call any one unless I know,. And know one calls her, When I priced the firefly phones versus a regular the firefly was the same price and had very limited capacity, with Virizan we all have those phones and and she has 5 numbers from those, plus my two offices, her daddy's office and her grandparents, so thats nine I think the firefly holds 3

We didn't get one for our son until he was 16. Before that if he went somewhere that he needed a phone we just gave him one of ours. She could use the families phone that she's going camping with phone to call you. I think that it's just your personal preference.

See I agree and thats what I did with my older daughter when she started driving thats when she got the phone, Then high school sports hit and we needed to be in contact with the son as when to pick him up and he was always using some one elses phone. The nin year old has one because the bus comes at 8-18 every morning and I have to be at work by 8-00 so she calls me when her little brother and her leave the house and then calls me when the bus is coming so I know they are on the bus. And I leave her sometimes at dance and if she gets sick she can call me to come early to get her, Trust me she doesnt make very many calls I stated last night she uses that phone 10 times a week just to call me, But I have peace of mind.

My son will get one when he starts spending more time away from us. Going and doing things with out his parents. I want him to be able to be able to get a hold of me when ever he needs to. He's 7 now. He'll get one younger than his little brother because he is very responsible.

my son is turning 13 next month and he keeps asking me for one, i told him when he gets a job and can pay for the bill he can have one. he only has a few friends that he calls and i rather he use the house phone, sometimes they want it but don't need it. his friend got one last yr and he was only 9 and gave the number to all his friends and they called him to play jokes and would use up all his minutes in a few days (he had pre-paid). or he would call people in the middle of the night because he couldn't sleep, they got it for him because he wanted it not because he needed it. and he's gone through 3 already. i won't do it because most kids at that age don't understand about how much it cost to have a phone. but if you decide to get one i've heard they have phones that are for preteens, and that you can have more control over the phone calls and the texting, ect. you can also get a pre paid to test it and see how you, both handle it. good luck which ever way you go

Some of the prepaid cell phones might work for you DD that have more capacity than the firefly. The top up cards are about 20 each time but you can do it onlline. You know your daughter best, but I would ask myself if she was ready for the responsibility, is she careful with the things she has now (doesn't lose or break them) and does she understand that talking on the phone uses minutes and cost you money. If you and your husband have phones you might want to also check to see what it would cost to add some minutes each month, upgrading your plan may enable you to get the phone free. (She would be so excited to get it I can understand why your SO and you want to)

my son got one when he turned 12, only because he went bike riding with his friends and what not. My 7 year old wants one sooo bad, but i told him you don't go anywhere without me or dad so you don't need one LOL.

I think it all depends on the parent and child

BTW I do have him on a pre paid plan..I got him a trac phone at Dollar General..So he knows his limits with his minutes LOL.

Well we just got our daughter one for her 17th birthday next week.

And I can tell you right now the only reason they want a cell is for TEXT messaging and nothing else. She never calls anybody on the phone but her fingers are so busy texting it's unreal.:yup:

Did you get it from Immix?? they have free text meesaging..YEAH

I got my DS one when he was 12, with him being in after school activties and with both me and my DH having jobs where we don't have anything but a cell, DS was using all of our mins to call us to check in and be picked up. For $10 per month and a free phone it was for us that I got it for him! Note it would not work if he used up our mins calling friends, which he doesn't :g_thumbri

Hi i got my 10 yr old one when school started this yr because he doesnt take a regular school bus he takes a metro so he calls me when he arrives to school and when he is on his way home and when he arrives home because he gets home maybe 5min b4 my 15yr old. But its with my cell company t-mobile and they have what you call kid connect and he only gets 50min per month and free wkends and unlimited mobile to mobile so he can call me as much as he needs and he cant go over his mins even if he tryed because it wont allow him but he never uses them anyway . That service is only 20 bucks a month

Well we just got our daughter one for her 17th birthday next week.

And I can tell you right now the only reason they want a cell is for TEXT messaging and nothing else. She never calls anybody on the phone but her fingers are so busy texting it's unreal.:yup:

I can tell you my two daughters 9 & 19 and my son 16 nor my husband or I use text at all. So I cant see how the only reason they want it if for that feature they all know that costs and we all share minutes

my son is turning 13 next month and he keeps asking me for one, i told him when he gets a job and can pay for the bill he can have one.

That is exactly what I told my 10 year old son. I don't think that they need one at that age, but depending on what your situation is, it might be in your best interest to get one. Whenever he is not with me, he is with his friends and accompanied by an adult, so I don't really have to worry about him getting in contact with me.

NEVER get a kid a cell phone that has a per call rate for text messages. My step-daughter taught us a big lesson in that regard. I hope someday that all parts of the country will have multiple carrier choices with no roaming & long distance. Right now the same monopoly exists that used to exist in the local telephone, ISP, etc.

I used to coach cheerleaders. Both highschool and middle school. I have seen 5th graders come to my tryouts with cells. Not sure what age that is anymore but I thought it was silly. I guess it all depends on your preference. You could always go with a prepaid one. I know a lot of my friends kids that have them at only 11. Not much help am I? :D

My daughter got one at 10 or 11 not sure which. We went prepaid for a few years and then last year we put her on our plan. DS will get one for Christmas he is 11. Prepaid and if he can handle that he will get put on our plan in a year. I think he will be fine though he is like my DH and hates the phone. :)