Tapeless vs. DVD Camcorders

Can anyone help me in trying to decide if tapeless camcorders are better than DVD camcorders and which ones are reccomeneded for basic everyday use. I do not really need all the bells and whistles on it just the basics would be fine. Of course the cheaper the better would like to try and stay under $400 if possible.

Personally i would avoid DVD Cams. They're great for just shooting video and popping it right in a player. But if you plan on doing any editing of the video i would pick one that uses DV tapes or has a hard drive. Of the two DV tapes are probably cheaper and still the best digital solution.

A miniDV camcorder will be a much better camera, and a lot easier on the bank account. Take a look at the Canon ZR series cameras. Choose what fits your price range and go for it. They are solid cameras with all the essential features that you'll need. Stay away from DVD camcorders as the DVDs for them are very expensive and the picture quality is downgraded to be able to put them on DVD.

Personally i would avoid DVD Cams. They're great for just shooting video and popping it right in a player. But if you plan on doing any editing of the video i would pick one that uses DV tapes or has a hard drive. Of the two DV tapes are probably cheaper and still the best digital solution.

How do the ones with a hard drive work? Do you download it into your computer and then burn the DVD?

How do the ones with a hard drive work? Do you download it into your computer and then burn the DVD?

Yes, but the same is true with MiniDV tapes and miniDVD recorders. Actually, hard disk based recorders are not very good yet and are priced very high. I'd avoid them more than I'd avoid a miniDVD recorder.

Since you don't need anything crazy, you should opt for a MiniDV. I got a Sony one this past year. The tapes are pretty cheap, and you can hook it up to your computer to do any editing you may want to do (even if you're a beginner with editing, you should be able to get the hang of it quickly with iMovie on a Mac or there should be a program on your PC if you're running Windows -- I forgot the name of it). Or you can hook it up to your TV using the A/V cables and watch it as soon as you are done filming... but you still have the luxury of being able to edit, erase, etc., which I think would be harder to do with a DVD one. PLUS, they are very inexpensive now. Mine cost $400 in March, and now I'm seeing some for under $200.

Yes, but the same is true with MiniDV tapes and miniDVD recorders. Actually, hard disk based recorders are not very good yet and are priced very high. I'd avoid them more than I'd avoid a miniDVD recorder.

Can I download the miniDV to computer for editiing? Do i need any software for that ? I have a panasonic , and having gone through the manual, I could not find a way to do it, unless i missed the point. Please advice..

Can I download the miniDV to computer for editiing? Do i need any software for that ? I have a panasonic , and having gone through the manual, I could not find a way to do it, unless i missed the point. Please advice..

Most miniDV camcorders have a firewire port for transferring video to your computer. You can use Windows Movie Maker (comes with Windows XP) to capture the video from your camcorder, but you will probably have to purchase a Firewire cable. This is the cable that it would most likely use: https://www.cablesforless.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=281

If you let me know what model your camcorder is, I can probably figure out exactly what you will need.

I wouldn't say thats true. The price part is true. But the DVD cams are definately the worst. DV is still the best though.

Yep, DVD camcorders are worse quality, but they are less of a headache than hard disk based camcorders. Every review I've seen on the hard drive camcorders are completely negative.

If you let me know what model your camcorder is, I can probably figure out exactly what you will need.

Thanks for the quick response!

My Model is PV-GS180. I have not checked whether I have the Movie Maker on my pc. Is there any site I can go to for knowing how to do copy to PC to burn it?

Thanks

shankar_ua - Your camcorder has a port that's labeled "DV." That's where you would plug in the cable that I linked in the post above. If you have Windows XP you have Windows Movie Maker. What you'll do is plug the firewire cable into your computer (if you don't have firewire, you can get an adapter for less than $20). It also has a USB 2.0 port, so you can transfer to an existing USB port. Windows Movie Maker will control and record your camera through the software, so you can tranfer everything right to your computer. Once it's tranferred, you can do all the editing.

I am glad that so many seem to know quite a bit about this subject. I need help. I just found out tonight that DD wants one. She will be going to South America in Jan. for 3 months so this would be a great gift. Money is tight though. Can you make any suggestions from the BF ads or an online deal? I will swing one somehow. DD is 18 and I really want to do this for her. Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!!!

Since you don't need anything crazy, you should opt for a MiniDV. I got a Sony one this past year. The tapes are pretty cheap, and you can hook it up to your computer to do any editing you may want to do (even if you're a beginner with editing, you should be able to get the hang of it quickly with iMovie on a Mac or there should be a program on your PC if you're running Windows -- I forgot the name of it). Or you can hook it up to your TV using the A/V cables and watch it as soon as you are done filming... but you still have the luxury of being able to edit, erase, etc., which I think would be harder to do with a DVD one. PLUS, they are very inexpensive now. Mine cost $400 in March, and now I'm seeing some for under $200.

Please tell me the exact model number and any other information I need to go out and buy this exact camera. I want one without doing any more research. It seems the more I look the less sure I am of which one to buy. I want an inexpensive one so if you would do that for me it would help me so much. Thank you.

Please tell me the exact model number and any other information I need to go out and buy this exact camera. I want one without doing any more research. It seems the more I look the less sure I am of which one to buy. I want an inexpensive one so if you would do that for me it would help me so much. Thank you.

The model number is DCR-HC32 .

I pulled up an Amazon page with it, and one review says that the software included doesn't work well with Windows XP Service Pack 2. I have only used the camcorder with my Mac to transfer to the computer, so I have had no problem. I am not sure if this is a common problem or not, and since my PC is dead right now, I can't check it out on mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DCR-HC32-Handycam-Camcorder-Optical/dp/B0007M3PKI

• 2 weeks later...

shankar_ua - Your camcorder has a port that's labeled "DV." That's where you would plug in the cable that I linked in the post above. If you have Windows XP you have Windows Movie Maker. What you'll do is plug the firewire cable into your computer (if you don't have firewire, you can get an adapter for less than $20). It also has a USB 2.0 port, so you can transfer to an existing USB port. Windows Movie Maker will control and record your camera through the software, so you can tranfer everything right to your computer. Once it's tranferred, you can do all the editing.

Sorry.. I need help again. I bought a new firewire cable / adapter, but as soon as connect my camcorder using the cable / adapter, my pc FREEZE!. Nothing works.. and the momnet i plug it off, everyting comes back to normal.

Also I did not see Movemaker in the "Remove/Add programs" in control panel.

DO you think my pc freeze coz I dont have the software?

Thanks

Sorry.. I need help again. I bought a new firewire cable / adapter, but as soon as connect my camcorder using the cable / adapter, my pc FREEZE!. Nothing works.. and the momnet i plug it off, everyting comes back to normal.

Also I did not see Movemaker in the "Remove/Add programs" in control panel.

DO you think my pc freeze coz I dont have the software?

Thanks

Find the CD that came with your camera, and use that to install the software / drivers for your camcorder to you computer. It's probably just trying to identify your camera and need the drivers to do so.