American Girl Doll - Help Me Choose!

I want to get an American Girl doll for my DD8, who has just started getting into reading the books. This is a surprise for her as she has never asked for one, but we do get the catalog in the mail. I have looked through the catalogs with her and asked her which ones she likes best, but have tried not to be too obvious as this will be a present from Santa. I have narrowed it down to 3 choices, but am having a very difficult time making a final decision. Here are my 3 choices along with the pros and cons of each:

Kaya

pros - this is the one she liked best when I asked her. It is something different as there are not many Native American dolls. My daughter (although she is blonde, blue-eyed, and light skinned) is about 1/32 Native American (her Great-Great Grandmother was Native American), and I think she feels a connection to her ancestors since we have no other connection with my husband's side of the family.

cons - will this be a doll she can play with particularly with the clothing she wears? I am concerned she will not play with it because she will be afraid it will not stay nice. Although I could buy just some regular clothes to show her that Native American children are just like other American children.

Molly

pros - this is my favorite of the dolls. She is so cute and I love her braids and glasses (my daughter wears glasses). I really like the story behind this doll and I think she would be able to share it with her Great Grandma who we visit often and will have a stronger connection with her because of the Depression stories. I think they would bond deeper talking about Molly and her stories. Also there is a movie coming out this Thanksgiving about Molly and I think that might increase her interest in this doll.

cons - this doll was not very high up on my daughter's want list.

Just Like You doll

pros - somewhat high on my daughter's list. I could get a doll that looks just like my daughter with the blonde hair (and braid it), blue eyes, and also get a pair of glasses. I could get them a matching outfit.

cons - it does not have the historical significance behind it with the books and stories that she enjoys reading. It would just be another doll.

Does anyone have any opinions which way I should go? Every time I think I will make a choice, I think of one of the other ones and I completely change my mind. I would like to make a decision soon, as they have free shipping from their website until November 21.

I want to get an American Girl doll for my DD8, who has just started getting into reading the books. This is a surprise for her as she has never asked for one, but we do get the catalog in the mail. I have looked through the catalogs with her and asked her which ones she likes best, but have tried not to be too obvious as this will be a present from Santa. I have narrowed it down to 3 choices, but am having a very difficult time making a final decision. Here are my 3 choices along with the pros and cons of each:

Kaya

pros - this is the one she liked best when I asked her. It is something different as there are not many Native American dolls. My daughter (although she is blonde, blue-eyed, and light skinned) is about 1/32 Native American (her Great-Great Grandmother was Native American), and I think she feels a connection to her ancestors since we have no other connection with my husband's side of the family.

cons - will this be a doll she can play with particularly with the clothing she wears? I am concerned she will not play with it because she will be afraid it will not stay nice. Although I could buy just some regular clothes to show her that Native American children are just like other American children.

Molly

pros - this is my favorite of the dolls. She is so cute and I love her braids and glasses (my daughter wears glasses). I really like the story behind this doll and I think she would be able to share it with her Great Grandma who we visit often and will have a stronger connection with her because of the Depression stories. I think they would bond deeper talking about Molly and her stories. Also there is a movie coming out this Thanksgiving about Molly and I think that might increase her interest in this doll.

cons - this doll was not very high up on my daughter's want list.

Just Like You doll

pros - somewhat high on my daughter's list. I could get a doll that looks just like my daughter with the blonde hair (and braid it), blue eyes, and also get a pair of glasses. I could get them a matching outfit.

cons - it does not have the historical significance behind it with the books and stories that she enjoys reading. It would just be another doll.

Does anyone have any opinions which way I should go? Every time I think I will make a choice, I think of one of the other ones and I completely change my mind. I would like to make a decision soon, as they have free shipping from their website until November 21.

Molly is the featured Doll this season and has a movie coming out on Tv,

Now we have two already and both were the dolls for the year, last year was marisal and I think i am getting her this year Jess

I would get the one she liked best, in this case Kaya. But you know your daughter the best. Mine has always liked one special one and moped around and hoped to get it for Christmas. She is now 12 and I am not buying one this year although she wants the new one...is it Jess?

I would get her the Kaya one since that is the one she liked the best. My daughter has one of the Today dolls and wants another. I was trying to steer her toward a historical doll but they came out with new Today dolls, one of which she absolutely loves. She is also 8 and plays with hers all the times. The doll goes everywhere with her!

I would also get her the one she wants the most - Kaya. My DD10 has 4 now -- Kirsten (her 1st), Kailey (featured a few yrs ago), Kit and then Felicity (last yr) It was fun to get Felicity as the movie came out. But if your DD isn't that interested in Molly she won't be as excited!

On a side note to keep down on expenses I have begun sewing AG size clothes and we found a man in our town who makes replica furniture. So be on the lookout for those types of things -- the AG habit is very addicting and expensive!

Steph

I say get her the one she wants as well. She sounds like my dd in choosing. My dd has brown hair blue eyes and is obsessed with the Cloe Bratz doll. lol. She is the only one that she has to have of each release.

I guess it all goes back to wanting what you don't have. Remember when you were little if you had straight hair and wanted curly and the kids with curly hair hated it so much and wanted straight. :P lol

For any of you that have messy/ruined hair...don't forget about the doll hospital. You can get a new head and voila! Good hair!

My daughter has maybe 5-6? Stopped counting! She started with Samantha and has branched out from there. We even got the little ones one year. Plus the beds...argh..a big trunk at the foot of the bed is the only place we can keep most of the accessories. The beds of course, are in the closet.

I think Kaya would be great. She's very unique and has a very special history. My daughter has Samantha and loves her too. She now wants molly. I wouldn't worry about her being afraid to play with her. I've notice that my daughter plays with her AG doll along with her battat dolls from target and walmart, but she plays with her more carefully and puts her to bed in a special spot each night.

My thought on the just like you dolls - my daughter had long blonde hair and we recently got it cut into a short shag type haircut. She made a comment that none of the dolls look like her anymore. Even though she would know better, I would be worried that she might try to make her doll look more like her. I did that at her age to my barbie.

I get a lot of clothing for her dolls at target - much cheaper than AG although I do watch for their sales. Another good site is www.shopgoodwill.com I've gotten some nice things from there. We're also found some of the accessories at consignment stores. Last summer, we found 2 bookends, a figurine and a charm bracelet.